Alaska State Senate GOP Leader

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Alaska's GOP State Senate President on Palin: "She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?"

State Senate President Lyda Green said she thought it was a joke when someone called her at 6 a.m. to give her the news.

"She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?" said Green, a Republican from Palin's hometown of Wasilla. "Look at what she's done to this state. What would she do to the nation?"

Choice stuns state politicians: Politics | adn.com

On the other hand, Mike Huckabee fans and the theocratic wing of the GOP should be pleased. They finally got a full blown theocrat on the national ticket...someone who not only believes in creationism, but wants it taught as a science. Someone who wants to outlaw abortion and is hostile to women's contraceptive choices, someone who doesn't believe in global warming.

Congratulations to the theocratic wing of the Republican Party - you finally got your dream person on the national ticket. This is almost as good as Huckabee.

State House Speaker John Harris, a Republican from Valdez, was astonished at the news. He didn't want to get into the issue of her qualifications.

"She's old enough," Harris said. "She's a U.S. citizen."
There you go. She's like, totally ready to lead.

As to John McCain's judgement:

Former House Speaker Gail Phillips, a Republican political leader who has clashed with Palin in the past, was shocked when she heard the news Friday morning with her husband, Walt.

"I said to Walt, 'This can't be happening, because his advance team didn't come to Alaska to check her out," Phillips said.

Last edited:
This is just insane! They didn't even check her out in depth?

Former House Speaker Gail Phillips, a Republican political leader who has clashed with Palin in the past, was shocked when she heard the news Friday morning with her husband, Walt.

"I said to Walt, 'This can't be happening, because his advance team didn't come to Alaska to check her out," Phillips said.

Phillips has been active in the Ted Stevens re-election steering committee and remains in close touch with Sen. Lisa Murkowski and other party leaders, and she said nobody had heard anything about McCain's people doing research on his prospective running mate.

"We're not a very big state. People I talk to would have heard something."

Few wanted to talk about anything else on talk radio Friday. Conservative host Rick Rydell said there are some benefits to the state, but it's a gamble for McCain to pick an unknown with what he considered "questionable vetting."

"It seems almost like a Hail Mary pass at the end of a football game," Rydell said in an interview after his show Friday.

Rydell said McCain has destroyed his argument about Barack Obama's lack of experience.

This is just insane! They didn't even check her out in depth?

Andrea Mitchell reported that McCain only ever met with Palin once, before choosing her. I think he's only ever met her once in his life.

Some vetting process.

Personally I think he picked her in the middle of the night after Thursday's speech by Obama. He knew Obama had done wonders to unite the Hillary voters and bring them back into the party and his team figured if he picked a woman he could get their votes and if he picked Palin in particular he could also shore up the conservative right.

All that is coming out about her now is like egg on his face.

Personally I think he picked her in the middle of the night after Thursday's speech by Obama. He knew Obama had done wonders to unite the Hillary voters and bring them back into the party and his team figured if he picked a woman he could get their votes and if he picked Palin in particular he could also shore up the conservative right.

All that is coming out about her now is like egg on his face.

I think this has everything to do with getting the hard right on board. She was introduced on a Friday right after convention. That's a time you do it to cause as little media attention as possible. She will now tour the areas of the country that are Conservative, like in battleground Ohio, where there are lots of Conservative voters, and in Florida's panhandle. The Conservatives do love her, so it is working out that way. Will this turn other voters off? Maybe. I don't want her one heart beat away from the presidency.

Forum List

Back