AI and Cheating

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Yes, it's come to this. AI programs like ChatGPT are now being used by some clever early-adapter cheaters to write essays, research papers, even to complete in-class exercises on the fly. Once again, educators will have to adapt to the changes that technology bring. Fortunately, most of what I do in class is hard to AI your way out of. Hell, Google Translate is a bigger problem with my students but pretty easy to spot.

I've heard complaints that the chatGPT detectors make a lot of false positives.

The kids really need to go back to handwritten drafts to cover their butts.

I've heard complaints that the chatGPT detectors make a lot of false positives.

The kids really need to go back to handwritten drafts to cover their butts.
Not really. Part of preparing students for life beyond high school is helping them get used to the context and format they will be expected to work in either in college or almost any profession these days. There are few and diminishing contexts wherein which handwritten work is accepted. I do a lot of activities in my ESL classes that are hand-written because many of my students have little experience and familiarity with computers, typing, etc. I endeavor to get my students up to the point where they are comfortable and prepared to work in the formats they will undoubtedly be required in the immediate future.

Yes, it's come to this. AI programs like ChatGPT are now being used by some clever early-adapter cheaters to write essays, research papers, even to complete in-class exercises on the fly. Once again, educators will have to adapt to the changes that technology bring. Fortunately, most of what I do in class is hard to AI your way out of. Hell, Google Translate is a bigger problem with my students but pretty easy to spot.

i can remember when bringing a calculator to math class was cheating ! wow ! the world is changing fast !

Forum List

Back