Age of Majority

Spiderman

Oct 2, 2013
I was just reading that NY is now making it illegal to buy cigarettes if you're under 21

Now am I mistaken or aren't people considered adults at the age of 18?

If you can enter into legal contracts, join the military and kill or die for the country, vote etc shouldn't you be able to smoke or drink?

I was just reading that NY is now making it illegal to buy cigarettes if you're under 21

If you can enter into legal contracts, join the military and kill or die for the country, vote etc shouldn't you be able to smoke or drink?

Thats been a question civil libertarians have been debating for a while. To be honest, it reeks of equal protection issues based on age, but for some reason its allowed.

The real issue is that people actually think this will help with underage smoking. Considering most people start in thier early to mid teens, making something already illegal illegal by a few more years will not change anything.

The main target of course, is business owners, however those who already sell non taxed bootlegged cigs are probably laughing at this, as they now have 3 more years of a client base.

Thats been a question civil libertarians have been debating for a while. To be honest, it reeks of equal protection issues based on age, but for some reason its allowed.

The real issue is that people actually think this will help with underage smoking. Considering most people start in thier early to mid teens, making something already illegal illegal by a few more years will not change anything.

The main target of course, is business owners, however those who already sell non taxed bootlegged cigs are probably laughing at this, as they now have 3 more years of a client base.

Smoking aside if you're considered an adult why can't you participate in any legal activity?

Smoking aside if you're considered an adult why can't you participate in any legal activity?

Blame the nanny state people, who think laws like this "protect" young adults, when really what they do is foster disrespect for the law. Just go to any college campus on a given weekend and basically 2/3 of the people are technically violating the law.

Go to any high school and 1/3 at least are smoking underage, thus violating the law.

Laws like this are there to make people feel like thier doing something, and are then largely ignored by the target population.

Blame the nanny state people, who think laws like this "protect" young adults, when really what they do is foster disrespect for the law. Just go to any college campus on a given weekend and basically 2/3 of the people are technically violating the law.

Go to any high school and 1/3 at least are smoking underage, thus violating the law.

Laws like this are there to make people feel like thier doing something, and are then largely ignored by the target population.

Same with the war on drugs, doesn't stop anything but they sleep good at night.

I agree that you are either an adult or you are not. Many laws magically kick in when you turn 18 and a single day can make a difference if you get tried as an adult or juvenile

Another of the gray areas is in child support where a parent is expected to provide support for a child over 18

Same with the war on drugs, doesn't stop anything but they sleep good at night.

For some drugs I agree, others I am loathe to legalize them until we try pot and E and stuff like that first.

For harder drugs, my proposal is simple, but has some possible consitutional issues. Drug use would be legal, however committing one felony or more than 5 misdemeanors while under the influence of said drugs, would result in mandatory drug treatment, and losing of your ability to non-criminally use said drug. Get caught again, and off to a government camp where you have unlimited access to said drug. want out? go into treatment and the same rules apply. go back to the camp 3 times, and you are in there for good.

You can even call it hotel california.

I know this would cost $$, but it would still cost less than our current system, and it lets people kill themselves off on drugs if they choose so in a nice setting.

I agree that you are either an adult or you are not. Many laws magically kick in when you turn 18 and a single day can make a difference if you get tried as an adult or juvenile

Another of the gray areas is in child support where a parent is expected to provide support for a child over 18

If they want to make the age of majority 21, make it 21, the grey area stuff has to stop.

I agree, if you can join the military at 18, then you should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.
My guess is they are merely copying laws regarding legal drinking age which is 21. In the 1970s it was legal to drink at 18. Then in the 1980s MADD lobbied for a higher drinking age. In 1984, the Federal Govn't passed an act that recommended 21 as the legal drinking age.

I agree, if you can join the military at 18, then you should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.
My guess is they are merely copying laws regarding legal drinking age which is 21. In the 1970s it was legal to drink at 18. Then in the 1980s MADD lobbied for a higher drinking age. In 1984, the Federal Govn't passed an act that recommended 21 as the legal drinking age.

And they used an end-around the 21st amendment to get the 21 year old drinking age nationwide. alcohol laws are supposed to be a state/local matter. what they did is say you get no federal highway $$ if your drinking age isnt 21. Highly unconsitutional, but with the courts we have nowadays not surprising.

It's about the maturity level of the mean. It's a good thing they don't have a law that says you have to be 21 to post on internet forums, or this place would be deserted.

What?

Yeah if you are 18 you are legally an adult. Bit stupid to say you are adult enough to go to war and get married, but not adult enough to smoke or drink.

I believe Obama has made it 26.

If you're child enough to be covered by Mommy & Daddy's health insurance then you are not sufficiently mature to make any decisions concerning drinking, smoking, sex, driving, and especially voting.

Forum List

Back