Advice on a Good Investment

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
So I'm looking at different graded comics to buy as an investment. It has to be graded, and I prefer something that is the first appearance of a character. I'd like to stick to something around $200, but I'm having difficult getting to that. Anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking the first appearance of Cable, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, or Black Panther. I did see one that was the first appearance of Loki and Heimdall.

So I'm looking at different graded comics to buy as an investment. It has to be graded, and I prefer something that is the first appearance of a character. I'd like to stick to something around $200, but I'm having difficult getting to that. Anyone have some suggestions? I'm thinking the first appearance of Cable, Deadpool, Harley Quinn, or Black Panther. I did see one that was the first appearance of Loki and Heimdall.

If you're looking for an investment, the best advice is "know your stuff", if you don't, you'll probably end up making a bad investment.

If you want comic books because you like comic books, fine. If you want to make an investment which will earn you more money back, you're going to have to do a lot of research. Any advice other than this will be nonsense, if I tell you to buy a certain comic, why haven't I bought this comic already?

If you're looking for an investment, the best advice is "know your stuff", if you don't, you'll probably end up making a bad investment.

If you want comic books because you like comic books, fine. If you want to make an investment which will earn you more money back, you're going to have to do a lot of research. Any advice other than this will be nonsense, if I tell you to buy a certain comic, why haven't I bought this comic already?

I have done research on it, and right now highly graded comics and sports cards are a good investment. The key when it comes to comics is getting first issues, first appearances, or ones where something special occurs in it. What is difficult to judge is when one will become really popular because of other factors, such as a movie coming out.

Take for example the popularity of Harley Quinn blowing up because of the Suicide Squad movie... her first appearance was in The Batman Adventures #12

1st-App-of-Harley.jpg

Despite that comic being fairly new... from 1993, a highly graded one can run over $1,000. With that said, some of the upcoming movies will be the Thor Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, JLA Dark, Shazam, Captain Marvel, Deadpool 2 with Cable...

So is there a character that might become more popular than ever because of these movies? I'm really thinking of this one,

s-l1600.jpg

Comic books are not a good investment.
Ind I could probably find an article that says rat turds are a good investment.

Comic book prices peaked some time ago. It's over.

Yes, certain ones are. But as I stated, you have to buy certain ones and make sure they are graded.

Pow! Comic book investing can be smart money

That comic under your bed could be worth a fortune

It's been over 4 hours... You find an article saying rat turds are a good investment yet?

Yes, certain ones are. But as I stated, you have to buy certain ones and make sure they are graded.

It's been over 4 hours... You find an article saying rat turds are a good investment yet?
Not looking.

If you think comic books are a good investment you should go ahead and spend that $200 on one. Hell, it's only $200. You'll be safe as long as you don't tell your wife about it.

Not looking.

If you think comic books are a good investment you should go ahead and spend that $200 on one. Hell, it's only $200. You'll be safe as long as you don't tell your wife about it.

You don't understand and are not listening. These are NOt just comic books that you pick up at your local store. They are graded and bricked... and they are specific ones that are the first issues, first appearances of particular characters, or major events.

I'm looking at a few to get, either the first appearance of Harley Quinn, the first appearance of Cable, first appearance of Deadpool, or the first appearance of Justice League Dark.

You really should have a more open mind. It would do you some good.

Not looking.

You don't understand and are not listening. These are NOt just comic books that you pick up at your local store. They are graded and bricked... and they are specific ones that are the first issues, first appearances of particular characters, or major events.

I'm looking at a few to get, either the first appearance of Harley Quinn, the first appearance of Cable, first appearance of Deadpool, or the first appearance of Justice League Dark.

I'm well aware that rare comic books are collectibles. The thing is, speculation of rare comic book prices peaked out 2 decades ago. Investors are no longer interested and now the people who buy them are practically all people who collect them as a hobby. The collectibles markets are inherently very volatile because a fad that is in today could be out tomorrow.

Don't lose sight of the fact that comic books have practically zero intrinsic value whatsoever. That makes them an extremely risky investment.

You may wish that you could get rich off of comic books but the odds of that happening are about the same as for my wish to engage in a menage au trois with Batgirl and Harley Quinn. :)

Not looking.

I'm well aware that rare comic books are collectibles. The thing is, speculation of rare comic book prices peaked out 2 decades ago. Investors are no longer interested and now the people who buy them are practically all people who collect them as a hobby. The collectibles markets are inherently very volatile because a fad that is in today could be out tomorrow.

Don't lose sight of the fact that comic books have practically zero intrinsic value whatsoever. That makes them an extremely risky investment.

You may wish that you could get rich off of comic books but the odds of that happening are about the same as for my wish to engage in a menage au trois with Batgirl and Harley Quinn. :)

And again you are making assessment based on new comics. If you actually look at the stats, graded rare comics and sports cards have done nothing but increase in value over the years.

When a comic or sports card gets graded, it is assigned an ID number and put in a database so people know exactly how many of that item is graded out in that condition.

Not looking.

And again you are making assessment based on new comics. If you actually look at the stats, graded rare comics and sports cards have done nothing but increase in value over the years.

When a comic or sports card gets graded, it is assigned an ID number and put in a database so people know exactly how many of that item is graded out in that condition.
I didn't say thing about new comics. What I said applies specifically to rare graded comics. Because they have no intrinsic value they are a very risky investment.

Another thing about them is that these rare graded comic books will never get any rarer because nobody is going to throw a graded comic book in the trash. However more people will get their rare comics graded, making the supply of rare graded comics go increase.

For instance you mention Harley Quinn. Since she was featured in a movie last year those comics became more in demand by collectors. The price of old special ones undoubtedly went up. And now the supply of rare graded Harley Quinn comics will increase as more collectors feel that it's worth it to get the ones in their collection graded. If you were speculating then the time to buy was before the movie came out.

Personally I have hundreds of old comics from when I was a kid and I've never had any of them graded. And I've never looked up how much they're worth because they're not for sale. They have too much sentimental value to sell.

Not looking.

I didn't say thing about new comics. What I said applies specifically to rare graded comics. Because they have no intrinsic value they are a very risky investment.

Another thing about them is that these rare graded comic books will never get any rarer because nobody is going to throw a graded comic book in the trash. However more people will get their rare comics graded, making the supply of rare graded comics go increase.

For instance you mention Harley Quinn. Since she was featured in a movie last year those comics became more in demand by collectors. The price of old special ones undoubtedly went up. And now the supply of rare graded Harley Quinn comics will increase as more collectors feel that it's worth it to get the ones in their collection graded. If you were speculating then the time to buy was before the movie came out.

Personally I have hundreds of old comics from when I was a kid and I've never had any of them graded. And I've never looked up how much they're worth because they're not for sale. They have too much sentimental value to sell.

...and you have yet to show any evidence to support your stance.

I'm still waiting on an article that says rat turds are worth something.

This Investment Has Gained 26,567% Since 2008

Not looking.

I've made a bigger profit than that on a penny stock. I researched the company thoroughly and realized that if the FDA approved their drug the stock price would go through the roof. I certainly wouldn't buy that stock now though.

Just like the Harley Quinn comic that went from $3 to $800, it wouldn't be a good investment now.

The big difference is that you can research a company. All you can really do is guess what comic book character Hollywood will make super popular 5 years from now.

Last edited:

I've made a bigger profit than that on a penny stock. I researched the company thoroughly and realized that if the FDA approved their drug the stock price would go through the roof. I certainly wouldn't buy that stock now though.

Just like the Harley Quinn comic that went from $3 to $800, it wouldn't be a good investment now.

I'll tell you right now, with Avengers Infinity War coming out soon, this comic will be a great investment and go through the roof. It is Iron Man #55. It is the first appearance of Drax the Destroyer, Star Fox, Kronos.... and Thanos. I wish I could afford it.

s-l1600.jpg

Iron Man 55 CGC 9.6 1st Thanos RARE MOVIE TV Beautiful Copy Centered | eBay

Forum List

Back