Society's current STEM fad

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Currently, society is in a fad of over-hyping the STEM fields. I understand the initial appeal. Scientists, Mathematicians, and Engineers tend to well informed on specific topics. However, we run the risk of under-emphasizing the more creative and critical thinkers from the more well rounded disciplines. Additionally, current government policies favor increasing wages of STEM graduates over those from the liberal arts, resulting in the large number of liberal arts graduates struggling to find highly profitable employment.

I suggest that we even out the government influence and the government ensures a fair, even distribution of wages and jobs based on your LEVEL of educational achievement. I know someone with a Masters degree making considerably less than an acquaintance with a 2 year degree. Obviously, a disparity exists that can not be explained through logic and reason.

Also, fields that STEM majors typically move into have shown a denialist attitude towards hiring outside of their range of focus when it comes to education. For example, one should consider the well-roundedness of a liberal arts education when hiring an Accountant, Engineer, Computer Programmer, Machinist, etc. Which is not even to mention that we want creative people who can think CRITCALLY, as opposed to blindly implementing things without testing their ideas. This is what the liberal arts brings. Scientists, Mathematicians, and Engineers could benefit greatly from the critical thinking liberal arts majors could bring. Take a look at a typical STEM program. Not a single critical thinking course is required because people that think with that side of their brain typically lack in that area. They are strong in other areas, except each you need the well rounded picture.

Dumb OP, but critical thinking courses can be a great advantage to any career.

`
`

I'm a big advocate of the STEM academic disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. As America is getting dumbed down, such professions are sorely needed. All my daughters go to private schools that stress such educational pursuits.

`
`

I'm a big advocate of the STEM academic disciplines of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. As America is getting dumbed down, such professions are sorely needed. All my daughters go to private schools that stress such educational pursuits.

You better hope they get a well rounded education that teaches them how to think critically about their ideas and test them, i.e. the ability to provoke and agitate those around them that lack those type of skills.

`
`

One of my daughters is a wildlife biologist and another is going to be interning at NASA. Still got one more thats smarter than the first 2 but doesnt know what she wants to do. I also have a god daughter that lives with me and she is going to be a psychologist.

Forum List

Back