actor James Gregory in the USMC and Navy WW2...?

I liked him in Beneath the Planet of the Apes
5d3c9b361cf8c198b8bb39ed16c8e33e.jpg

Great actor who served his country
yes, very good--underrated?
Not a star

But an actor who made the scenes he was in better. Made a great villain
..was he just never given leading roles?
...obviously he is a much better actor than idiots like Charlie Sheen/Arnold S/Patrick Swayze/Richard Gere/etc
Stars are not always better actors than those in supporting roles

Was Sylvester Stallone a better actor than Burgess Meridith?
As Stallone is much older now I would say he is. Meredith was more well known as a TV actor playing in one episode guest star shows. He played in movies but carried none of them.

Great actor who served his country
Not a star

...obviously he is a much better actor than idiots like Charlie Sheen/Arnold S/Patrick Swayze/Richard Gere/etc

As Stallone is much older now I would say he is. Meredith was more well known as a TV actor playing in one episode guest star shows. He played in movies but carried none of them.
Burgess Meredith was great in of Mice and Men

During the 40s and 50s he appeared in many, many pictures. Unfortunately, he did not have movie star looks and was relegated to supporting roles. By the 60s he was down to Batman

As an older actor he was great in the Rocky and Grumpy Old Men movies

Not a star

Burgess Meredith was great in of Mice and Men

During the 40s and 50s he appeared in many, many pictures. Unfortunately, he did not have movie star looks and was relegated to supporting roles. By the 60s he was down to Batman
yes the slim, good lookers are the stars.......

We have lost the really great Character Actors that once graced the Screens. They were in the background and made the movie and the TV shows great. Today, they just walk through their parts. Actors like we are mentioning have been greatly missed for a couple of decades and the Kids really don't know any difference.

We have lost the really great Character Actors that once graced the Screens. They were in the background and made the movie and the TV shows great. Today, they just walk through their parts. Actors like we are mentioning have been greatly missed for a couple of decades and the Kids really don't know any difference.
Gregory was never a likeable actor

But he made the scene playing off characters that were likeable

Each time Inspector Luger was on Barney Miller, it was a treat.

Each time Inspector Luger was on Barney Miller, it was a treat.

Just going to mention that myself.

He played a great 'old school' cop.

Lots of famous actors that gained fame in the 50's and 60's were WWII vets, and many were combat vets. Some you'd never guessed they ever held a rifle, but many were decorated due to combat action. Eddie Albert and Charles Durning come to mind.

Lots of famous actors that gained fame in the 50's and 60's were WWII vets, and many were combat vets. Some you'd never guessed they ever held a rifle, but many were decorated due to combat action. Eddie Albert and Charles Durning come to mind.

Jimmie Stewart and Clark Gable flew on bombing missions

Forum List

Back