actor James Gregory in the USMC and Navy WW2...?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
..I've been seeing that Gregory served 3 years [ total...? ] in the USMC and Navy in WW2.....this seems very odd....I was in the USMC for 8 years......I've read about WW2 for over 40 years......
yes--just found this--only Navy--so a lot of these biographies on him appear ridiculous
this link just Navy:
Shadow box
these say USMC and Navy --????
very odd in just 3 years to be in the USMC and Navy
James Gregory (actor) - Wikipedia
James Gregory, 90; Veteran Player of Cops and Generals in Movies and Television
The Official James Gregory Website

The professor on "Gilligan's Island" was the best buddy of Audie Murphy because they had roughly comparable records if you really want trivia. As a B-25 pilot in the Pacific he had the life expectancy of a May fly.

The professor on "Gilligan's Island" was the best buddy of Audie Murphy because they had roughly comparable records if you really want trivia.
Russell Johnson?

What did he do?

After graduating from high school, Johnson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. On completing his training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II as a bombardier in B-25 twin-engined medium bombers.[4]

On March 4, 1945, while flying as a navigator in a B-25 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his B-25 and two others were shot down during a low-level bombing and strafing run against Japanese military targets in the Philippine Islands. The B-25s encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire, and all three had to ditch in the sea off Zamboanga. Johnson broke both ankles in the landing, and his bomber's co-pilot was killed. Johnson received a Purple Heart for his injuries.[5] He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three campaign stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one campaign star, and the World War II Victory Medal.

The professor on "Gilligan's Island" was the best buddy of Audie Murphy because they had roughly comparable records if you really want trivia.
Russell Johnson?

What did he do?

After graduating from high school, Johnson enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces as an aviation cadet. On completing his training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant. He flew 44 combat missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II as a bombardier in B-25 twin-engined medium bombers.[4]

On March 4, 1945, while flying as a navigator in a B-25 with the 100th Bombardment Squadron, 42nd Bombardment Group, 13th Air Force, his B-25 and two others were shot down during a low-level bombing and strafing run against Japanese military targets in the Philippine Islands. The B-25s encountered heavy anti-aircraft fire, and all three had to ditch in the sea off Zamboanga. Johnson broke both ankles in the landing, and his bomber's co-pilot was killed. Johnson received a Purple Heart for his injuries.[5] He was also awarded the Air Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three campaign stars, the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one campaign star, and the World War II Victory Medal.
My dad served as a machine gunner same theater in the 13th.

Neville L. Brand

He entered the Illinois Army National Guard on October 23, 1939, as a private in Company F, 129th Infantry Regiment. He was enlisted in the United States Army as Corporal Neville L. Brand, infantryman on March 5, 1941.

World War II
He trained at Fort Carson and served in World War II, seeing action with B company, 331st Infantry Regiment of the 83rd Infantry Division (Thunderbolt Division) in the Ardennes, Rhineland and Central European campaigns. Brand, a sergeant and platoon leader, was wounded in action along the Weser River on April 7, 1945. His upper right arm was hit by a bullet, and he nearly bled to death.

Brand was awarded the Silver Star, the third-highest decoration for valor in the U.S. military, for gallantry in combat. His other awards and decorations were the Purple Heart, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three Battle Stars, one Overseas Service Bar, one Service Stripe and the Combat Infantryman Badge. In a 1966 interview he explained the Silver Star, stating that withering fire from German machine guns in a hunting lodge kept him and his unit pinned down. "I must have flipped my lid," he said. "I decided to go into that lodge." He was discharged from service in October 1945.

He worked on a 1946 U.S. Army Signal Corps film with Charlton Heston and next settled in Greenwich Village and enrolled at the American Theatre Wing, working off-Broadway, including Jean-Paul Sartre's The Victors. He also attended the Geller Drama School in Los Angeles on the G.I. Bill.[2]
forgot this......Neville Brand - Wikipedia

Great actor who served his country
yes, very good--underrated?
Not a star

But an actor who made the scenes he was in better. Made a great villain
..was he just never given leading roles?
...obviously he is a much better actor than idiots like Charlie Sheen/Arnold S/Patrick Swayze/Richard Gere/etc
Stars are not always better actors than those in supporting roles

Was Sylvester Stallone a better actor than Burgess Meridith?

Not a sta

...obviously he is a much better actor than idiots like Charlie Sheen/Arnold S/Patrick Swayze/Richard Gere/etc

..no...SS is kind of one dimensional
....SStallone is one of only 3 actors to be nominated for best actor and best screenplay for the same film
..he played Rocky perfectly though....they wanted R Redford for it
..also:
Complications suffered by Stallone's mother during labor forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth; misuse of these forceps accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of Stallone's face
Sylvester Stallone - Wikipedia

Not a sta

..no...SS is kind of one dimensional
....SStallone is one of only 3 actors to be nominated for best actor and best screenplay for the same film
..he played Rocky perfectly though....they wanted R Redford for it
..also:
Complications suffered by Stallone's mother during labor forced her obstetricians to use two pairs of forceps during his birth; misuse of these forceps accidentally severed a nerve and caused paralysis in parts of Stallone's face
Sylvester Stallone - Wikipedia
The screenplay for Rocky was very good. Stallone’s acting was not.
Hated Talia Shire too

Not a star

Stallone is an actor?

..I've been seeing that Gregory served 3 years [ total...? ] in the USMC and Navy in WW2.....this seems very odd....I was in the USMC for 8 years......I've read about WW2 for over 40 years......
yes--just found this--only Navy--so a lot of these biographies on him appear ridiculous
this link just Navy:
Shadow box
these say USMC and Navy --????
very odd in just 3 years to be in the USMC and Navy
James Gregory (actor) - Wikipedia
James Gregory, 90; Veteran Player of Cops and Generals in Movies and Television
The Official James Gregory Website

I think this would be an excellent tribute to a Veteran such as he.

Not a star

Stallone is an actor?

Yo, Adrian!

Does it get any better than that?

Not a star

Stallone is an actor?

Yo, Adrian!

Does it get any better than that?
:haha:

I think Gregory's most memorable role was the McCarthy like senator in Sinatra's "Manchurian Candidate". In the movie he was a tool of the communists but the real McCarthy was allegedly a tool of the anti communist right wing. Somehow Hollywood blended the two characters together but it's all fiction.

Forum List

Back