ACLU sues Jackson MS because blacks arrested at 5 times rate of whites

In Jackson the black population makes up almost 80% of the population.......... I would think that alone would explain the arrest disparity, not the "cops are racist" or "all blacks are on welfare" moronic mantra.

The article says "rate" so it doesn't matter what %age of the city is white.
Anything to justify your position....... Got it.......

. Racism is not as rampant as the media, politicians and political action committees would have us believe but it still exists which is why they continue to utilize it as a "talking point" which in and of itself blows it out of proportion.

BS - racism is everywhere but it's now called affirmative action. Every college is forced to take black students over more qualified whites and every city and large business is required to hire blacks over more qualified whites.
You're as pathetic as those you're claiming are racist........ Keep up the bad work. :thup:

BS - racism is everywhere but it's now called affirmative action. Every college is forced to take black students over more qualified whites and every city and large business is required to hire blacks over more qualified whites.
You're as pathetic as those you're claiming are racist........ Keep up the bad work. :thup:

HAHAHA. More namecalling from the left but then, that's all they have. Affirmative action is pure racism and indefensible and even stupid libs can see that.

HAHAHA. More namecalling from the left but then, that's all they have. Affirmative action is pure racism and indefensible and even stupid libs can see that.
The left? You truly are delusional.

Blacks also collect welfare at 5 times the rate of whites. And then there is affirmative action. With all the special treatment they get, blacks need to stop complaining.

Blacks arrested 5 times more than whites in Madison County, lawsuit says

may 8 2017 A class-action lawsuit filed Monday accuses the Madison County Sheriff’s Department of targeting black residents with unconstitutional and sometimes violent searches and seizures, arresting them at nearly five times the rate of white residents.

“Simple daily activities — such as commuting to work, grocery shopping, visiting friends and family, attending church, or even sitting on the steps outside one’s own home — present the very real possibility of unlawful and humiliating searches and seizures, as well as the … prospect of arrest and jail time for unpaid fines and fees,” the lawsuit claims.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the New York City-based law firm of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett filed the class-action lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Jackson against Sheriff Randy Tucker and his deputies.
Blacks are arrested at much higher rates almost everywhere. Blacks are more tightly policed, as they always have been. The police force has always been used to keep black bodies in bondage, nothing new here. I am interested to follow this lawsuit.
In Jackson the black population makes up almost 80% of the population.......... I would think that alone would explain the arrest disparity, not the "cops are racist" or "all blacks are on welfare" moronic mantra.

almost anywhere you look, regardless of population demographics blacks are far more likely to be arrested.

(1) If a black person and a white person each commit a crime, the black person is more likely to be arrested. This is due in part to the fact that black people are more heavily policed.
Black people, more often than white people, live in dense urban areas. Dense urban areas are more heavily policed than suburban or rural areas. When people live in close proximity to one another, police can monitor more people more often. In more heavily policed areas, people committing crimes are caught more frequently. This could help explain why, for example, black people and white people smoke marijuana at similar rates, yet black people are 3.7 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession. (The discrepancy could also be driven by overt racism, more frequent illegal searches of black people, or an increased willingness to let non-blacks off with a warning.)

(2) When black people are arrested for a crime, they are convicted more often than white people arrested for the same crime.
An arrest and charge does not always lead to a conviction. A charge may be dismissed or a defendant may be declared not guilty at trial. Whether or not an arrestee is convicted is often determined by whether or not a defendant can afford a reputable attorney. The interaction of poverty and trial outcomes could help explain why, for example, while black defendants represent about 35% of drug arrests, 46% of those convicted of drug crimes are black. (This discrepancy could also be due to racial bias on the part of judges and jurors.)

(3) When black people are convicted of a crime, they are more likely to be sentenced to incarceration compared to whites convicted of the same crime.
When a person is convicted of a crime, a judge often has discretion in determining whether the defendant will be incarcerated or given a less severe punishment such as probation, community service, or fines. One study found that in a particular region blacks were incarcerated for convicted felony offenses 51% of the time while whites convicted of felonies were incarcerated 38% of the time. The same study also used an empirical approach to determine that race, not confounded with any other factor, was a key determinant in judges’ decisions to incarcerate.

Black Crime Rates: What Happens When Numbers Aren't Neutral | HuffPost
1. More heavily policed? You must be kidding. Every study I've ever heard of points to the fact that felonies are under prosecuted in the black community. Black communities need more police.

2. The discrepancy you cite could be explained by many factors including your own noted financial differences. Many of these studies also conveniently don't include past records.

3. Again, there could be many factors that could be at play here. "Felonies" is a broad category. Who do you think is going to jail a kid selling pot or some one that empties an AK 47 into a house?

What's the old saying "correlation doesn't doesn't prove causation". There could be racism at play in some instances, it's the left's knee jerk reaction to blame racism for everything that causes many people to not believe. Ever hear the children's story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

Check out the discrepancies in incarceration rates and sentences given between men and women some time. If you do, you'll have to agree the justice system in this country is sexist against men.

Does racism exist? Of course it does. Dose racism exist to the degree some claim it does? Of course not. Are many incidences that are called racist in nature by some truly racist? No but that does not mean all such incidences are not racist.
The poverty - incarceration ratio is a given and in most cases is not due to racial bias though many wish to claim it is. As for specific types of arrests whether someone is let of with a warning or not is most often determined by extenuating circumstances (other illegal issues at play during the arrest) that rarely includes racism, the existence of a warrant, evading arrest, illegally carrying a concealed firearm, other items indicating felony distribution, etc. These other indicators are often omitted from some "studies" because they're looking for a one item/issue cause.
Funny that nobody has mentioned what proportion of crimes are committed by blacks as opposed to whites. Using only half a formula is like saying the moon is half as big as the earth, but it's twice as far away.
when blacks are far more likely to be arrested how could we get an accurate assessment of such?
In this day and age we can't. Not because racism abounds but because it's a political hot potato and in such a situation people typically look for paradigm reinforcement and bias justification, that includes some of those on both sides who conduct "studies". Racism is not as rampant as the media, politicians and political action committees would have us believe but it still exists which is why they continue to utilize it as a "talking point" which in and of itself blows it out of proportion.
It probably easy for someone to minimalize something they have not experienced...
Just as it's easy for someone to over emphasize it because they have. I've seen it first hand, I've experienced it first hand but those incidences were few and far between. The media and politicians focus on controversy and the vocal minorities from all sides, it's extremely easy to draw incorrect conclusions based on being bombarded with such "information" if one isn't paying attention. My personal rule of thumb is to take what either side espouses and divide it in half to get a more honest picture.
By the way, you want to find overtly racist cops? Check out NYC, some of the most racist cops I ever met were from NYC and all of them have suffered at least one injury or lost a friend due to black criminals so of course their outlook is going to be racist. Not excusing it simply acknowledging where their bias comes from.
I am a new yorker and know all about NY cops. I have witnessed my husband face their racism and I have been assaulted by police twice. They are out of control.

Let me guess you were being obnoxious...

Blacks also collect welfare at 5 times the rate of whites. And then there is affirmative action. With all the special treatment they get, blacks need to stop complaining.

Blacks arrested 5 times more than whites in Madison County, lawsuit says

may 8 2017 A class-action lawsuit filed Monday accuses the Madison County Sheriff’s Department of targeting black residents with unconstitutional and sometimes violent searches and seizures, arresting them at nearly five times the rate of white residents.

“Simple daily activities — such as commuting to work, grocery shopping, visiting friends and family, attending church, or even sitting on the steps outside one’s own home — present the very real possibility of unlawful and humiliating searches and seizures, as well as the … prospect of arrest and jail time for unpaid fines and fees,” the lawsuit claims.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the New York City-based law firm of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett filed the class-action lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Jackson against Sheriff Randy Tucker and his deputies.
Blacks are arrested at much higher rates almost everywhere. Blacks are more tightly policed, as they always have been. The police force has always been used to keep black bodies in bondage, nothing new here. I am interested to follow this lawsuit.

almost anywhere you look, regardless of population demographics blacks are far more likely to be arrested.

(1) If a black person and a white person each commit a crime, the black person is more likely to be arrested. This is due in part to the fact that black people are more heavily policed.
Black people, more often than white people, live in dense urban areas. Dense urban areas are more heavily policed than suburban or rural areas. When people live in close proximity to one another, police can monitor more people more often. In more heavily policed areas, people committing crimes are caught more frequently. This could help explain why, for example, black people and white people smoke marijuana at similar rates, yet black people are 3.7 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession. (The discrepancy could also be driven by overt racism, more frequent illegal searches of black people, or an increased willingness to let non-blacks off with a warning.)

(2) When black people are arrested for a crime, they are convicted more often than white people arrested for the same crime.
An arrest and charge does not always lead to a conviction. A charge may be dismissed or a defendant may be declared not guilty at trial. Whether or not an arrestee is convicted is often determined by whether or not a defendant can afford a reputable attorney. The interaction of poverty and trial outcomes could help explain why, for example, while black defendants represent about 35% of drug arrests, 46% of those convicted of drug crimes are black. (This discrepancy could also be due to racial bias on the part of judges and jurors.)

(3) When black people are convicted of a crime, they are more likely to be sentenced to incarceration compared to whites convicted of the same crime.
When a person is convicted of a crime, a judge often has discretion in determining whether the defendant will be incarcerated or given a less severe punishment such as probation, community service, or fines. One study found that in a particular region blacks were incarcerated for convicted felony offenses 51% of the time while whites convicted of felonies were incarcerated 38% of the time. The same study also used an empirical approach to determine that race, not confounded with any other factor, was a key determinant in judges’ decisions to incarcerate.

1. More heavily policed? You must be kidding. Every study I've ever heard of points to the fact that felonies are under prosecuted in the black community. Black communities need more police.

2. The discrepancy you cite could be explained by many factors including your own noted financial differences. Many of these studies also conveniently don't include past records.

3. Again, there could be many factors that could be at play here. "Felonies" is a broad category. Who do you think is going to jail a kid selling pot or some one that empties an AK 47 into a house?

What's the old saying "correlation doesn't doesn't prove causation". There could be racism at play in some instances, it's the left's knee jerk reaction to blame racism for everything that causes many people to not believe. Ever hear the children's story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

Check out the discrepancies in incarceration rates and sentences given between men and women some time. If you do, you'll have to agree the justice system in this country is sexist against men.
1. More heavily policed is right. I have lived in urban and suburban settings. In suburban settings police might do one drive through a day and only come when called otherwise. In the urban setting they crawl the streets pulling over every other car searching people harassing kids walking home. In the suburbs they are polite and helpful. In the city they are rude aggressive and I have been assaulted twice by police in an urban setting.

2. Financials are extremely important now a days. It comes down to who can afford an attorney. When people have money and can buy a decent defense they make off a lot better than those who can't. Poor people have less access to decent lawyers. Court appointed aren't worth much, if I were to ever be arrested I certainly would not want to show up with a count appointed lawyer.

3. I think that whether were talking about a misdemeanor or a felony a person of minority is more likely to go to be caught, go to jail, and serve longer than their White counterparts. Not in every single case but in a majority.

Also you're right about the discrepancies between genders.

Last edited:
when blacks are far more likely to be arrested how could we get an accurate assessment of such?
In this day and age we can't. Not because racism abounds but because it's a political hot potato and in such a situation people typically look for paradigm reinforcement and bias justification, that includes some of those on both sides who conduct "studies". Racism is not as rampant as the media, politicians and political action committees would have us believe but it still exists which is why they continue to utilize it as a "talking point" which in and of itself blows it out of proportion.
It probably easy for someone to minimalize something they have not experienced...
Just as it's easy for someone to over emphasize it because they have. I've seen it first hand, I've experienced it first hand but those incidences were few and far between. The media and politicians focus on controversy and the vocal minorities from all sides, it's extremely easy to draw incorrect conclusions based on being bombarded with such "information" if one isn't paying attention. My personal rule of thumb is to take what either side espouses and divide it in half to get a more honest picture.
By the way, you want to find overtly racist cops? Check out NYC, some of the most racist cops I ever met were from NYC and all of them have suffered at least one injury or lost a friend due to black criminals so of course their outlook is going to be racist. Not excusing it simply acknowledging where their bias comes from.
I am a new yorker and know all about NY cops. I have witnessed my husband face their racism and I have been assaulted by police twice. They are out of control.

I know you'd love to think that. First time I was a young girl. I was pulled over, asked to get out of the car, and illegally searched/groped by a male cop. "Grabbed me by the p*ssy" no pun intended and cupped/felt my breasts.
Second time was this year. Again, a traffic stop. I was asked to step to the side by one officer, as I did so a different officer who did not hear that command saw me moving, rushed over, twisted my arm behind my back, and dragged me to the ground.

To put it simply I am a 110 lb woman... both were extremely terrifying, uncalled for, and illegal. The first instance left me scared, embarrassed, and feeling dirty. It is the only time I have been sexually assaulted and I was just a kid. Maybe 17. The second incident gave me a panic attack and a sore shoulder for weeks.
Never perused anything though, sad city dwellers can become use to the uncalled violence in our officers.
I understand my right to not exit my vehicle but I always try to be compliant with what they ask of me. In the future I will not be leaving my car for a NY COP. I'll crack the window hand them my license and keep my doors locked.

Last edited:

1. More heavily policed is right. I have lived in urban and suburban settings. In suburban settings police might do one drive through a day and only come when called otherwise. In the urban setting they crawl the streets pulling over every other car searching people harassing kids walking home. In the suburbs they are polite and helpful. In the city they are rude aggressive and I have been assaulted twice by police in an urban setting.

2. Financials are extremely important now a days. It comes down to who can afford an attorney. When people have money and can buy a decent defense they make off a lot better than those who can't. Poor people have less access to decent lawyers. Court appointed aren't worth much, if I were to ever be arrested I certainly would not want to show up with a count appointed lawyer.

3. I think that whether were talking about a misdemeanor or a felony a person of minority is more likely to go to be caught, go to jail, and serve longer than their White counterparts. Not in every single case but in a majority.

1. I also have lived in urban and suburban areas as well and it's been my experience that in an urban setting if you call the police they will come, eventually. If no one is bleeding they will tell you to go to the precinct and fill out a report. In the suburb I live in they will be there in a matter of minutes, the report automatic. Every study I've heard on the subject says that felonies in the black community are under prosecuted. Some attribute this to a reluctance of witnesses and sometimes victims to cooperate with police. Others attribute it to shear volume.

2. Agreed. That is not racism however. Those same issues apply to whites, hispanics and everyone else.

3. Again there is virtually no evidence of this. The differences are often a result of past records along with a host of other issues. I don't know if you know any judges but the attitude of the convicted and a lack of respect for the court can play a part as well.

Couldn't possibly be because crime is generally lower in rural areas and the police departments put their people where the crime is could it?

Naw....

1. I also have lived in urban and suburban areas as well and it's been my experience that in an urban setting if you call the police they will come, eventually. If no one is bleeding they will tell you to go to the precinct and fill out a report. In the suburb I live in they will be there in a matter of minutes, the report automatic. Every study I've heard on the subject says that felonies in the black community are under prosecuted. Some attribute this to a reluctance of witnesses and sometimes victims to cooperate with police. Others attribute it to shear volume.

2. Agreed. That is not racism however. Those same issues apply to whites, hispanics and everyone else.

3. Again there is virtually no evidence of this. The differences are often a result of past records along with a host of other issues. I don't know if you know any judges but the attitude of the convicted and a lack of respect for the court can play a part as well.
There is evidence of sentence discrepancy among races. Look it up.
As far as financials, don't your think it is reasonable to say while it can effect everyone, minorities are more likely living under the poverty line so they are less likely to be able to afford to fight a case off? That also plays into prior offenses.
I posted a thread yesterday in race relations about discrepancies of punishments in schools between races. 99% of all students handcuffed by NYC police last year were black or Hispanic. It is an interesting article that talks about how we are preparing these kids for prison while we are preparing white kids for success.

I know you'd love to think that. First time I was a young girl. I was pulled over, asked to get out of the car, and illegally searched/groped by a male cop. "Grabbed me by the p*ssy" no pun intended and cupped/felt my breasts.
Second time was this year. Again, a traffic stop. I was asked to step to the side by one officer, as I did so a different officer who did not hear that command saw me moving, rushed over, twisted my arm behind my back, and dragged me to the ground.

To put it simply I am a 110 lb woman... both were extremely terrifying, uncalled for, and illegal. The first instance left me scared, embarrassed, and feeling dirty. It is the only time I have been sexually assaulted and I was just a kid. Maybe 17. The second incident gave me a panic attack and a sore shoulder for weeks.
Never perused anything though, sad city dwellers can become use to the uncalled violence in our officers.
I understand my right to not exit my vehicle but I always try to be compliant with what they ask of me. In the future I will not be leaving my car for a NY COP. I'll crack the window hand them my license and keep my doors locked.
This account appears unlikely

Lol why's that? Because you would prefer to not believe it and paint me as a liar?
I have seen far more serious police brutality. The above are just my experiences.

Lol why's that? Because you would prefer to not believe it and paint me as a liar?
I have seen far more serious police brutality. The above are just my experiences.
It really doesn't matter if your stories are true or false, we have no way of knowing since this is an anonymous forum.

Just like most blacks are allowed to drive without a license. Few blacks can read well enough to get a drivers license so the police just look the other way. White people caught without a license are ALWAYS prosecuted.

I doubt your story is true but even if it is, it pales compared to all the affirmative action special treatment women get in the job market. So stop whining .

Well then, youre in luck! Your assault would have been captured by the officers dash cam. Youre going to be rich! Please keep us informed of any updates on this story. Id love to hear about how many years that cop gets in prison.

There is evidence of sentence discrepancy among races. Look it up.
As far as financials, don't your think it is reasonable to say while it can effect everyone, minorities are more likely living under the poverty line so they are less likely to be able to afford to fight a case off? That also plays into prior offenses.
I posted a thread yesterday in race relations about discrepancies of punishments in schools between races. 99% of all students handcuffed by NYC police last year were black or Hispanic. It is an interesting article that talks about how we are preparing these kids for prison while we are preparing white kids for success.
Again, instead of citing differences in financial status or past records the left immediately cries racism. As far as NYC schools, police are generally not going to handcuff a student unless necessary. This reminds me of some numbers I saw referenced from NY about felonies committed with a firearm, 97% committed by non-whites. Now why are there disproportionate numbers of non-whites shot by police? Racism, right? I'd be interested to see how many of those handcuffed by police in those schools come from single parent households. I've seen research that says kids from single parent households are 6-7 times as likely to be expelled or suspended, no doubt more racism.

So in your warped opinion, regardless of the number of crimes committed by whites compared to black, once the black arrests reach the rate at which whites are arrested, no more blacks are allowed to be arrested.

Forum List

Back