Academy Awards Are a Farce

Most of the ones who win awards created a character that touched the audience. That is what art does. Your egotistical idea that what you do makes you special, but what actors do is something anyone can do, is ridiculous.
Has nothing to do with ego. As I said before >> "thousands of other performances, by thousands of other musicians"

What actors do, anyone can do. We all do it.

Not anyone can play a mandolin, a violin, a guitar.

Nobody will pay to see a baroque concert
They pay hundreds of millions to see major pictures
1. People pay to see baroque concerts all the time. As well as concerts from other eras.

2.Doesn't matter if people pay to see movies. that doesn't mean the actors actually did something we all couldn't do. They're not acting and being ridiculously overpaid because they special. They're because they got lucky, knew somebody, or kissed somebody's ass, in some way.

Who cares ? Are you kidding ? I haven't gone to a movie in 32 years. Can you think if anythung more meaningless ?

New movies are not needed. There are tens if thousands of movies out there (most on DVD). Thousands just from 2000 AD and newer.

Awards for what ? Acting ? Playing make believe ? We all act during our lives. This is something nonspecial, that requires little skill. Who hasn't recieved a birthday present, and acted as if they really liked it ?

Isn't it bad enough we have the ludicrous Grammys, with "awards" going to people who couldn't play a chord on a guitar or piano ? Some do nothing more than just talk (often profanity and racism) into a microphone.

How long can you stand seeing unimportant, grossly overpaid people who laughably think they're important ? This is me playing the baroque tune "Rights of Man" * on the mandolin. If any of the actors who just received an "award" can do this, I'll consider them deserving of an award.

* A tune of some difficulty, with 4 continuous triplets, played twice in 2 different octaves, and in the key of G (a bit more difficult key on the mandolin, than the typical/easier keys of D and A)

clip_image002.png
DIdn't you start one of these whiny threads on the Oscars last year too?
If he didn't care, he wouldn't even bother with a thread. I rarely watch contemporary Hollywood movies, and watch very few of the current TV offerings. I'm not interested at all in the Oscars. When you don't care, you don't get all pissed off about it and start threads; you just don't pay attention.

You can say that again! What he sounds like is someone who doesn't know anything about the arts, but loves a good political rant and the acting community is one of the right-wingers' targets du jour. I would venture that he gets double points in his "community" for managing to slip in a reference to gay sex.
That's another thing wrong with movies (and TV) nowadays.

I'm never on top of things, movie wise, and I am way far behind. But all of this year's best-picture lineup sounds good. I've got to see The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro being brilliant. And, of course, anything that Frances McDormand is in has got to be wonderful. The same goes for Daniel Day-Lewis.

While it came out too late to be nominated this year, Black Panther looks pretty interesting, and I'd like to see what all the hoopla is about.

So much, so little time, she says, having finally watched True Blood how many years later? Loved it.
Daniel Day-Lewis was OK in Last of the Mohicans, and The Bounty.

If he didn't care, he wouldn't even bother with a thread. I rarely watch contemporary Hollywood movies, and watch very few of the current TV offerings. I'm not interested at all in the Oscars. When you don't care, you don't get all pissed off about it and start threads; you just don't pay attention.
FALSE! You write to expose the overpaid, Hollywood, relatively worthless, spoiled brats for what they are.

FALSE! You write to expose the overpaid, Hollywood, relatively worthless, spoiled brats for what they are.
What a completely ridiculous post. I don't bother with movies or Hollywood. I am pointing out that in starting this thread, you do, though you claim not to care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have started this thread.:rolleyes:

What a completely ridiculous post. I don't bother with movies or Hollywood. I am pointing out that in starting this thread, you do, though you claim not to care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have started this thread.
Sure, I care. AS I said .. >> "to expose the overpaid, Hollywood, relatively worthless, spoiled brats for what they are"

Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:

Like I say, this rant about the worthlessness of the craft of acting is just political garbage, "Hollywood" being one of the targets du jour of the right-wing hit factory. Acting takes much preparation and skill to do properly, as well as some understanding of human psychology, which it seems that right-wingers totally lack in any form. In just about any discussion of any topic, they seem to be devoid of any understanding of human emotions and thoughts, except, perhaps for anger and the desire for revenge.

Of the people who don't like this, let them do it themselves. Go ahead! if you think that you can do better, do better! Come on. Better scripts, better actors, better directors. Come on up and do it. We are waiting for you and your contributions.
I've already done that. Have a script which is registered with US copyright office in DC. It's for sale. Remains unsold. I guess you have to know somebody.

LMAO!! I guess anyone can be a writer too? Quite an ego to insist that it remains unsold because "you have to know somebody". Maybe there is a simpler explanation. While you have said that people you told about it said they have never heard a story like it (not sure how much praise that is), there is a huge difference between having a unique story idea and creating a well written script.

What a completely ridiculous post. I don't bother with movies or Hollywood. I am pointing out that in starting this thread, you do, though you claim not to care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have started this thread.
Sure, I care. AS I said .. >> "to expose the overpaid, Hollywood, relatively worthless, spoiled brats for what they are"

Some people have to be told twice. :rolleyes:

Some of us don't give a shit whether they are spoiled brats. Some of us want the performance and nothing more. I was complimentary of YOUR performance, and I think you are a bitter, pompous ass. Your art is not you.

Like I say, this rant about the worthlessness of the craft of acting is just political garbage, "Hollywood" being one of the targets du jour of the right-wing hit factory. Acting takes much preparation and skill to do properly, as well as some understanding of human psychology, which it seems that right-wingers totally lack in any form. In just about any discussion of any topic, they seem to be devoid of any understanding of human emotions and thoughts, except, perhaps for anger and the desire for revenge.

They still refer to it as Hollywood because that is where the brass work. Atlanta has surpassed Hollywood as the center of making films.

You can't expect much substance from a bunch of millionaire, low-I.Q. celebrities sucking each other's dicks over how wonderful they think they are, despite being the largest pedophilia orgy outside the muslim world. Simply for reading lines in a movie. I haven't seen the inside of a cinema in 2 years and I have no interest in doing so ever again.
You obviously have no concept of what makes a great performance

You can say that again! What he sounds like is someone who doesn't know anything about the arts, but loves a good political rant and the acting community is one of the right-wingers' targets du jour. I would venture that he gets double points in his "community" for managing to slip in a reference to gay sex.
Hollywood is on the rightwing hitlist.......overpaid, no talent, anyone can do it

Right after their disdain for journalists, scientists, historians, athletes

You think anybody can do it? YOu are very much mistaken. That is why some actors turn in amazing performances and other suck every time.

Can anyone play a piece of baroque music? Anyone who takes lessons and practices, yes.
1. Anyone can act, and we all do every day. Look at some guy receiving a gift he doesn't like, for Christmas. Is he going to say "I don't like it'. Of course not. he ACTS like he likes it. We all do that. Ho hum.

2. No. Not anyone can play a piece of baroque music (or any other type of music on a stringed instrument) Many people try to play the guitar (a relatively easy instrument to play compared to the violin). They struggle with it for weeks. In the end, their guitar winds up in a pawn shop. Don't believe it ? Go visit any pawn shop. :biggrin:

Weeks? Duh. But that is not about talent or ability. That is about not being willing to put in the time to learn and to practice.

There is a huge difference between not wanting to hurt Grandma's feeling and creating a character that moves people. Trying to compare the two is laughable. It is like playing 'Jingle Bells' on an old landline tone phone and thinking you are now a musician.

Nobody will pay to see a baroque concert
They pay hundreds of millions to see major pictures
1. People pay to see baroque concerts all the time. As well as concerts from other eras.

2.Doesn't matter if people pay to see movies. that doesn't mean the actors actually did something we all couldn't do. They're not acting and being ridiculously overpaid because they special. They're because they got lucky, knew somebody, or kissed somebody's ass, in some way.
I can play baroque music......it just won’t be very good

They still refer to it as Hollywood because that is where the brass work. Atlanta has surpassed Hollywood as the center of making films.

Interesting. I didn't know that, and with all of the real estate, huge sound stages, and equipment out there in LA, I would have thought that most of production would remain there. But things change. I remember when I was a little girl under ten, I loved to go stay at my youngest aunt's studio apartment just off the GW Bridge in Fort Lee, NJ. (she spoiled me rotten). Many people don't know this, but Fort Lee was the original "Hollywood" when "Hollywood" was just a stretch of desert, and some of The Perils of Pauline was shot there. Anyway, there was a huge fire one night that we went on the rooftop to watch. It was one of the original movie studios. I still wonder what history I saw destroyed that night, as early film involved nitro. Just a weird memory from this old girl.

For my college yearbook photo, I put on a 1910-looking outfit and lace-up boots and lay down on the local railroad track. One of my history professors waxed his rather flamboyant mustache and is seen crouching over me in a dark cape, looking menacing. It was a hoot.:04:

Forum List

Back