Academy Awards Are a Farce

Gran Torino won quite a few awards. Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture that year.

So what, the point is that the Oscars really don't have anything to do with what people actually want to watch?

The Academy Awards are not about popularity. The Academy's website describes it this way: "Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in a wide variety of categories. Most categories are nominated by the members of the corresponding branch–actors nominate actors, film editors nominate film editors, etc."

The People's Choice Awards would be more about what the public wants. The Academy Awards are about recognizing what the people who work in the industry think are the best achievements that year. The reason it became so big is because people understand that being recognized by your peers is one of the highest honors.

The Academy Awards are not about popularity. The Academy's website describes it this way: "Regular awards are presented for outstanding individual or collective film achievements in a wide variety of categories. Most categories are nominated by the members of the corresponding branch–actors nominate actors, film editors nominate film editors, etc."

The People's Choice Awards would be more about what the public wants. The Academy Awards are about recognizing what the people who work in the industry think are the best achievements that year. The reason it became so big is because people understand that being recognized by your peers is one of the highest honors.

Uh yeah, that's what I said, thanks for agreeing.

Complaining about someone else's efforts is not the same thing as offering one's own efforts. In the arts, one offers one's own work. Let's see what the complainers have to offer to the cultural mix, their authors, their movie-makers, their visual artists. The door is always open.

Uh yeah, that's what I said, thanks for agreeing.

Yep. But that does not mean either is better or worse. Just different standards.

I generally don’t watch the Oscars because I haven’t seen the films. Many are fairly obscure films I wouldn’t normally watch

Sometimes, it’s a head scratcher as to why they like the films. I like Rotten Tomatoes that gives a critic and audience score and comments about the film

For the most part, the Oscars provides a heads up for which films to watch. Usually, I wait for HBO or Netflix

I haven't seen any of them, and I usually do the same as you. I can't tell you the last time that I was in a movie theater. Not only the Oscars, but the various film festivals like Cannes and Sundance, give a good heads up as to separating the crap from the gems. Plus there are the films that are based on books, which is a crapshoot. Loved "Lord of the Rings," which involved taking an entire cast and crew to New Zealand for months. I didn't think that anything could be done with my beloved Tolkien," but it came back really well done. So did "The Bridges of Madison County." Making books into two-hour movies is quite a challenge, since so much has to be cut out or they would be making a ten-hour movie. This is why screenwriting is so difficult. As I write this, I'm looking at the tape of "Dr. Zhivago" on my shelf.
That is why I love cable TV movies ......there is no two hour limitation
Couldn’t do Game of Thrones in the movies
The quality of cable TV movies is outstanding.

Shouldn't you be outside yelling for kids to get off your lawn? And maybe calling the cops to have them arrested if they insult you?

Yeah, probably wouldn't get an Oscar for it.
It breaks all the rules for winning an Oscar.

It was nominated for a Golden Globe and made $144 million more (that's more than twice as much) than the 2018 Oscar Winner Shape of Water at the box office though.

Gran Torino won quite a few awards. Slumdog Millionaire won Best Picture that year.

And Protectionist is certainly no Clint Eastwood. And I'm pretty sure, if Walt Kowalski were real, he would not call the police if someone called him a "dumbass".

Gran Torino is a movie I would watch any time
Slumdog Millionaire is something I would never watch in a million years but watched because it won Best Picture.......Great film

Yep. But that does not mean either is better or worse. Just different standards.

Who requires a determination of which is better or worse?
Better or worse at what, because there is a distinction there?

I am not complaining about people patting themselves on the back for producing and awarding movies of such extreme caliber that fewer people find them entertaining.

Who requires a determination of which is better or worse?
Better or worse at what, because there is a distinction there?

I am not complaining about people patting themselves on the back for producing and awarding movies of such extreme caliber that fewer people find them entertaining.

Apparently the OP needs it. Unless I missed his rants about the People's Choice awards or the Golden Globes.

Apparently the OP needs it. Unless I missed his rants about the People's Choice awards or the Golden Globes.

That would really depend on whether or not the OP viewed the job of the film industry to be entertaining the people or themselves.
He did seem to think that some value could be assessed in how well they managed to entertain others.

Personally, it's art, and art is subjective.
I would be more interested in who wins the 2018 Best Craft Beer awards anyway.

So what, the point is that the Oscars really don't have anything to do with what people actually want to watch?

The Oscars are voted on by people in the film industry. Of course this industry, like every other industry, is motivated by profits, so the consideration of the box-office gross obviously involves "what people actually want to watch," given that the public can just stay home and watch something else. The people can go to other movies, watch TV, read books, clean the refrigerator, stay in bed, or play Monopoly. Whatever. People are not forced to do anything. However, the Oscar voting also involves what those who vote on them think has artistic merit in the various fields.

The entertainment industry, movies, music, TV shows, etc. should not be run by people too dump to turn the channel or to decline to go pay to see a movie that they don't like. Shit, man. I've got HBO, Netflix, a remote control. If you don't like something, you've got your remote. Go change the channel or clean out your garage or sing hymns or something.

The Oscars are voted on by people in the film industry. Of course this industry, like every other industry, is motivated by profits, so the consideration of the box-office gross obviously involves "what people actually want to watch," given that the public can just stay home and watch something else. The people can go to other movies, watch TV, read books, clean the refrigerator, stay in bed, or play Monopoly. Whatever. People are not forced to do anything. However, the Oscar voting also involves what those who vote on them think has artistic merit in the various fields.

The entertainment industry, movies, music, TV shows, etc. should not be run by people too dump to turn the channel or to decline to go pay to see a movie that they don't like. Shit, man. I've got HBO, Netflix, a remote control. If you don't like something, you've got your remote. Go change the channel or clean out your garage or sing hymns or something.

Uh, thanks, but it isn't like I was asking permission to do what I want to do. :dunno:
Go fuck yourself, if you think it is necessary to tell me what I already know I can do.

I think it is great that the Oscars have not sold out to the big money interests

Uh, thanks, but it isn't like I was asking permission to do what I want to do. :dunno:
Go fuck yourself, if you think it is necessary to tell me what I already know I can do.

I was raised decently by decent parents, and therefore do not normally tell people to "go fuck" themselves. If you already know what you can do, why don't you just do it?

I was raised decently by decent parents, and therefore do not normally tell people to "go fuck" themselves. If you already know what you can do, why don't you just do it?

I don't care about your upbringing, I didn't ask for your approval.

I simply posted a clip from a movie I was reminded of when WinterBorn mention someone else should go outside and tell people to get off their lawn.
I mentioned how it didn't win an Oscar, and gave my reasons for why I understood it wouldn't.
Then I commented on the fact it still got more at the box office than the 2018 Oscar winner.

It seems as though a lot of you have a problem with thinking anyone needs your stupid opinion on what we should do.
Mind your own business, and stop worrying about what I am doing you fucking busybody.

That would really depend on whether or not the OP viewed the job of the film industry to be entertaining the people or themselves.
He did seem to think that some value could be assessed in how well they managed to entertain others.

Personally, it's art, and art is subjective.
I would be more interested in who wins the 2018 Best Craft Beer awards anyway.

Now THAT is an award show worth watching!

Movie actors produce a product worth hundreds of millions of dollars

Realatively a lot
Maybe, but their production is one that anybody could do. Can anybody play the piece of baroque music I played in post # 43 ? Or thousands of other performances, by thousands of other musicians ?

"artistic merit" ?

images

"artistic merit" ?

images

So I take it that you don't like movies. Well, good on ya. Music is a different genre than movies, didn't ya know. I still don't understand what your beef is. Music is audio, moving pictures are a visual interpretation of a story. No picture of Marilyn Monroe is going to change that. I've seen pictures of John Wayne and other horse-opera guys even used as avatars, and Wayne never played anything but himself. At least John Ford had enough sense to take him out of the saddle.

It's difficult to respond to people who dislike an entire genre, which I think is really, really dumb. But if they don't like movies, I do hope that they read books at least.

"artistic merit" ?

images

So I take it that you don't like movies. Well, good on ya. Music is a different genre than movies, didn't ya know. I still don't understand what your beef is. Music is audio, moving pictures are a visual interpretation of a story. No picture of Marilyn Monroe is going to change that. I've seen pictures of John Wayne and other horse-opera guys even used as avatars, and Wayne never played anything but himself. At least John Ford had enough sense to take him out of the saddle.

It's difficult to respond to people who dislike an entire genre, which I think is really, really dumb. But if they don't like movies, I do hope that they read books at least.
Didn't say I don't like movies. My beef is more with the actors who accept awards and act like they've really dine something special. MM is shown here, because she was special great dancer and singer in addition to top notch looks and acting

"artistic merit" ?

images

Didn't say I don't like movies. My beef is more with the actors who accept awards and act like they've really dine something
special. MM is shown here, because she was special great dancer and singer in addition to top notch looks and acting

Look at all the politicians and "religious" leaders who act like they've really done something special when they've done nothing special. Same thing. Look at all of the hoopla around Billy Graham. I didn't have anything much against him. He was a church leader in a religion that I am not a member of so I just thought of him as such.He may have been a "star" in his craft, but a lifetime achievement award at the U.S. Capitol rather than some church of the denomination he represented? Politicians and others who liked him could have come there to pay their respects.
There are all sorts of award shows, too. Grammies, CWA's, BAFTA's (Britain), etc, recognizing achievements in a given field as perceived by those in the same field. Don't fans of country and western music "crown" those each year whom they perceive have accomplished something in the field of country and western music? Should this all be abolished?

Forum List

Back