Academic Debate - Why Not?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

There is a minor kerfuffle here at one of my Alma Mater's, the University of Pittsburgh, about the scheduled talks by a few individuals who are deemed to be anti-transgender.

It has often been said that the remedy for offensive speech is speech that sets the record straight, or is not offensive to the offended group.

But my question is, why do I never read or hear about debates on campus on the hot topics? Honest, true debates, where an "offensive" position is defended and debated?

For instance: Transgenderism does not exist. Those who claim that it is merely a psychological disorder with no biological or physiological basis will defend their position against those who claim that a person can be the opposite gender from the gender "assigned at birth," or that there are more than two genders. And let the chips fall where they may.

Why not?

Abortion is murder. Those who believe that a human being exists from the moment of conception, vs those who believe that human life begins at some other time. Have it out.

Climate Change is an "Existential threat" to humanity. Take a position and defend it.

Based on outside impressions, it seems to me that if such debates were held, the Leftists on campus - both students and staff - would do everything possible to silence those with whom they disagree. But maybe I'm too harsh, and they would welcome the opportunity to have it out, in public.

Why not?

My first impression is Pitt needs to tear down all those old dilapidated buildings and build new ... what an eye-sore ...

Not too sure about the question in the OP ... government has an obligation to maintain the educational atmosphere on campus ... and government can restrict speech if such speech is disruptive to the educational goals on educational campuses ... same with health care campuses and courts-of-law ...

The alternative is having outsiders come on campus, start a riot, then quickly leave before the National Guard shows up beating heads in ... think Bezerkly 1969 ... this is coming onto school grounds for the purpose of disrupting the educational processes ... nothing ideological, just starting riots for fun ...

For many years we had the Friday Night Riots in Eugene just south of campus ... bring your gas mask and Molotov cocktails and join the fun ... ha ha ... then we made landlords responsible for their riotous tenants and it's been peaceful ever since ... college-age children are so easy to manipulate ...

Abortion is murder.

Well, that's pretty easy going ... Pope Francis tells us we are to protect the weakest of our society, and no one's weaker than an unborn child ... so abortion violates a half dozen Commandments, and you just call it murder? ... IknowIknowIknow ... birth control is murder as well, all those sperm are going to die in the end of that condom ... if you don't want a child, then keep your pants zipped up ... why is it only Catholics understand this? ...

There is a minor kerfuffle here at one of my Alma Mater's, the University of Pittsburgh, about the scheduled talks by a few individuals who are deemed to be anti-transgender.

It has often been said that the remedy for offensive speech is speech that sets the record straight, or is not offensive to the offended group.

But my question is, why do I never read or hear about debates on campus on the hot topics? Honest, true debates, where an "offensive" position is defended and debated?

For instance: Transgenderism does not exist. Those who claim that it is merely a psychological disorder with no biological or physiological basis will defend their position against those who claim that a person can be the opposite gender from the gender "assigned at birth," or that there are more than two genders. And let the chips fall where they may.

Why not?

Abortion is murder. Those who believe that a human being exists from the moment of conception, vs those who believe that human life begins at some other time. Have it out.

Climate Change is an "Existential threat" to humanity. Take a position and defend it.

Based on outside impressions, it seems to me that if such debates were held, the Leftists on campus - both students and staff - would do everything possible to silence those with whom they disagree. But maybe I'm too harsh, and they would welcome the opportunity to have it out, in public.

Why not?
College students are the biggest idiots on the planet.

Gender is not assigned at birth, sex is.

If people would quit using the words interchangeably it would solve a lot of problems.

Gender is not assigned at birth, sex is.

If people would quit using the words interchangeably it would solve a lot of problems.

gender and sex are the same thing in the context of the transgender debate, you can only pretend it to be otherwise.

It's a willful attempt to muddy the waters over the crux of the issue.

gender and sex are the same thing in the context of the transgender debate, you can only pretend it to be otherwise.

It's a willful attempt to muddy the waters over the crux of the issue.

By going along with their desire to make them the same thing, you play into their hands.

They are not the same thing and were never meant to be used that way.

Want to solve the problem of trans people playing women's sports....make sports based on sex and not gender and BOOM, the problem is solved.

You only help them muddy the water by going along.

By going along with their desire to make them the same thing, you play into their hands.

They are not the same thing and were never meant to be used that way.

Want to solve the problem of trans people playing women's sports....make sports based on sex and not gender and BOOM, the problem is solved.

You only help them muddy the water by going along.

It won't solve the problem because even if they use the language to confuse people, they know what they want.

A guy with his dick in place competing with women because he thinks he is a woman.

Nothing new. Universities are being devalued as a place of thought by the day.

Forum List

Back