'Abe Lincoln' Booted Off Of Lincoln Memorial

Feb 18, 2011
Illegal recite Gettysburg Address without permit | Lincoln Memorial | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth..." No, no, no, we'll have none of that at this sacred place (that has an inscription that starts off "four score and seven years ago...").

That might appear like a silly scene to have at the Abraham Lincoln Memorial. But it's what happened on, of all days, Presidents' Phillip Howell, who was dressed like the Civil War president, gave a reading out loud of the Gettysburg Address on Monday.

But instead of getting a rousing round of applause, Howell received a tongue lashing and $100 in fines after a park police officer told him he couldn't give speeches on the memorial steps without a permit.

"He called me Abe, and then I turned around and he said, 'Do you have a permit?' I said 'no' and he said, 'Well you can't do that here then,' "Then I said, 'I'm just giving the Gettysburg Address, come on, it’s Presidents' Day.' And he said, 'I don't care what you're giving, You're not allowed to do that here.'"

Park rules restrict groups from gathering without a permit so that visitors have free access to the Memorial. One person, apparently, counts as a group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back