Abbott and Costello comedy skit: “13 times 7 is 28” – Real life students at Kennesaw State University: “15 times 4 is 48”

It’s disconcerting at work to see young nurses have to take out their phones to “calculate” 20 mL minus 1.25 mL on the narc sign out sheet
And they virtually never make mistakes that way. Kinda useful huh?

And they virtually never make mistakes that way. Kinda useful huh?
You do realize that people should have basic arithmetic skills for when their phone isn’t available, don’t you?

We’re not talking about truly obsolete skills like cursive writing or typewriters. Nor are we talking about being able to do complex equations or something.

Its not unreasonable to expect people to be able to do basic math in their heads

You do realize that people should have basic arithmetic skills for when their phone isn’t available, don’t you?

We’re not talking about truly obsolete skills like cursive writing or typewriters. Nor are we talking about being able to do complex equations or something.

Its not unreasonable to expect people to be able to do basic math in their heads
It is becoming a less valuable life skill like being able to drive to a new destination without GPS.

Yea… being able to use a buggy whip for when your car breaks down is useful too huh?

Doing simple arithmetic in your head is a very valuable life skill. In the title of this thread is says “13 times 7 = 28”. This kind of answer goes beyond the inability to do basic arithmetic. I can understand someone saying it 13x7 is 81 or something, but anyone with any number sense whatsoever should know that it has to be a number far bigger than twice 13, which I guess they don’t know either. Keep in mind, these are COLLEGE students, not elementary students.

There are videos of an interviewer asking young adults questions on the street in Times Square that show a complete failure of our educational system. Name 3 countries other than the US? Several said Europe and others couldn’t answer at all. How many moons does the earth have? How many contintents are there? Name them?(lol, WAY above their heads) What is 10% of 100? (Seriously?) From which country did the US gain her Independence? What year? My eighth grader didn’t hesitate on any of them and easily got them all right, as he should, granted, he is in private school. Ask them the names of all the Kardashian sisters and they get it. These people vote and guess who they vote for in mass?

My eighth grader didn’t hesitate on any of them and easily got them all right, as he should, granted, he is in private school.

These man on the street tests are Bullshit

Get a camera and ask people simple questions at random. Interview 100 people and pick out the three that didn’t know the answer.
Then proclaim…..Kids today are so stupid

Notice they never tell you how many got it right

Get a camera and ask people simple questions at random. Interview 100 people and pick out the three that didn’t know the answer.

I agree, they most certainly do that. I would like to see the results from 100 random young adults in Time Square, both the good and the bad, all 100 of them.

I honestly hope you’re right

I have given you the challenge of letting me, a public school educator, educate you, but you continue to deflect.
I want to prove my worth, but you refuse to let me.

Why is that?

I can teach you ANY math topic that you want, Pre_cal or Below.
Because you have NO KNOWLEDGE of Higher Math,
so let me help you with your math struggles.

You still haven't answered the question of......What is 30 X 30
As I keep telling you I’m not a child that you can push around

You should direct your anger at yourself and your fellow educators who collectively are doing such a bad job

Make America number one in math and science and then come back here and talk shit

Not really
They all have smart phones in their pocket and they have become a crutch.
They also have life skills that Baby Boomers lack
Haha yeah they have more life skills then people in their 70s? Haha sure

Haha yeah they have more life skills then people in their 70s? Haha sure

Those people in their 70s are still confused by the internet and need to call their grandchildren when things go wrong

Those people in their 70s are still confused by the internet and need to call their grandchildren when things go wrong
Maybe so, but when they were in their 20s they didn’t have a phone in their pocket as a crutch (as you admitted) they developed real life skills, they weren’t beholden to the internet

Thanks for proving my point

Forum List

Back