A Truckers President

Nov 1, 2014
Idaho
This is a thread any truck driver can sympathize with.

54ca5e6e4107a_-_semi-trucks-01-0812-lgn.jpg

If I were president having once been a truck driver, I would hold a large truckers rally at the Walcott, IA and unveil the following plan in front of hundreds of truck drivers.

1. Change Hours of Service to eliminate the 30 minute off duty requirement and increase the 70 hour rule to the 80 hour rule so truckers can continually roll 10 hours a day.

2. Mandate Detention Pay after hanging out at the shipper or receiver for 2 hours past the appointment time or 2 hours within the appointment window, the driver must be compensated $50 for the next hour and then $20 per hour thereafter indefinitely. The customer can opt to cancel the load instead in which case the driver must be compensated a flat $100. This shall be paid out by the truckers employer or in the case of independent owner operators, the customer must issue a live check on the spot.

3. Paid by GPS miles, not short miles ...you all know what that means. Every Rand-McNally mile the driver drives empty or loaded is compensated, no more shorting drivers 50 miles by recalculating using the short miles method. That's called stealing.

4. Chaining compensated for employee drivers very simply, $25 to chain and remove chains, can be used up to 2 times a day. Owner Operators can deduct this amount in their taxes.

5. Night Driving Compensation of $100 per trip deliberately designed to pick up in the evening and deliver the following morning. This fee is designed to discourage this practice.

6. New Truck Drivers cannot lease or be an "independent contractor" for one year. This will eliminate the business model of companies like C.R. England who exploit new drivers wanting to get a license to extract several months of slave labor out of them. Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about. New truck drivers need to be paid just like anyone else and finding loopholes in the law to exploit them will now be illegal.

Forum List

Back