A Tale of Two Storms. $60 Billion in Fed Aid Within 10 Days

The reality is that New Orleans sits at the bottom of a bowl. It was a catastrophy waiting to happen. At least the Jersey Shore starts at sea level and goes up. It is one thing to build up the land and build on it like Holland, and it is another to build at the bottom of a pit and expect pumps to keep the water down. Image if the storm had been worse? Long Beach Island might have become a strip of sand... As it is New Orleans is still in a bowl and the problem will be repeated.

But you and the media were too busy to even notice at the time as they continually lambasted Bush over his response.

Not sure what Bush, or Obama, have to do with this conversation.

At what point did the Executive Branch gain the power to approve funding?

Point is, for Katrina, Congress approved funding almost immediately...

And for Sandy, Congress has not only been dragging it's feet for over two months, but some of it's members are voting against even minimal relief aid packages.

Because this Congress is a bunch of ass-hats.

A tale of two storms?/

Yup. The State and local Govt dropped the ball on Katrina. Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit. The moron didn't do it and in fact waffled about it even after the levis broke.

The State should have had a mandatory evacuation and forced everyone out. NO is 5 feet below sea level. Only a moron would have stayed. They had 250 school busses that could have taken loads out. Those same school busses got flooded out.

Bush and FEMA took the hit but the State and local Gov and that stupid Gov were to blame. Of course some will contunue to Blame Bush and FEMA but hey, its the lefty way.

You are utterly full of revisionist shit, and I told you this in the other thread.

The fact is Governor Blanco asked for federal assistance on Saturday August 27, as soon as it became clear the storm was coming. And Bush signed off. In other words they both did their jobs. Something you couldn't be bothered to do in anything like "research".

"...I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal. ... "In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan."" -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco, August 27 ... that's two days before the storm. DUH.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do.:asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

The blame has already been lain, officially, on the Army Corps of Engineers. If that doesn't fit your revisionist agenda that's just too god damn fucking bad.

I beg to differ with your "account", Pogo...if Governor Blanco had requested National Guard troops or Federal troops, order would have been kept in New Orleans but she failed to do so until well AFTER the storm hit. If she and Mayor Ray Nagle had ordered a mandatory evacuation two days in advance of the storm instead of 14 hours before Katrina made landfall a whole lot of people would be alive today that aren't. To maintain that Blanco "did her job" would be laughable if it weren't for all the people who suffered because she DIDN'T do her job.

If only we had addressed global warming and began that long overdue conversation on race, none of this would have had to happen. lol

As for the supposed "foot dragging" by Congress? When are we going to stop using every "crisis" as an opportunity to pass massive spending bills laden with pork? Yes, I'm angry that Congress isn't acting but I'm even more angry that some in Congress are trying to dip their snouts deep in the public trough in the midst of this crisis.

Is this some sort of knee jerk reaction because Bush was mentioned as the signor of the aid bill? This has nothing to do with either the current or former President, but about Congress approving aid for one hurricane within 10 days and still not having approved aid for another after 60.

Just a question that I don't know the answer too. How much money was included in the Katrina relief bill that was pork barrel spending? Apparently the Senate has put several billion dollars in the present bill that has nothing to do with Hurricane aid.

I suggest that the House of Representatives should take this pork out of the bill and send it back to the Senate for approval.

But you and the media were too busy to even notice at the time as they continually lambasted Bush over his response.

Not sure what Bush, or Obama, have to do with this conversation.

At what point did the Executive Branch gain the power to approve funding?

Point is, for Katrina, Congress approved funding almost immediately...

And for Sandy, Congress has not only been dragging it's feet for over two months, but some of it's members are voting against even minimal relief aid packages.

Because this Congress is a bunch of ass-hats.

Of course you're not sure because O is presiding over this debacle. Says quite a bit about O's inability to lead during a crisis.

As for the supposed "foot dragging" by Congress? When are we going to stop using every "crisis" as an opportunity to pass massive spending bills laden with pork? Yes, I'm angry that Congress isn't acting but I'm even more angry that some in Congress are trying to dip their snouts deep in the public trough in the midst of this crisis.

I keep hearing people say this, but I"m not getting the details on how this bill is "laden with pork".

I've looked over the bill, and I've seen very little in it that doesn't have to do directly with the damage caused by the hurricane. What little there is seems to be concessions made in the Senate to garner Republican votes.

Be that as it may, there was certainly no "pork" in the initial 9 billion dollars in funding, and 67 Republicans voted against even that.

So, how do you explain that?

I keep hearing people say this, but I"m not getting the details on how this bill is "laden with pork".

I've looked over the bill, and I've seen very little in it that doesn't have to do directly with the damage caused by the hurricane. What little there is seems to be concessions made in the Senate to garner Republican votes.

Be that as it may, there was certainly no "pork" in the initial 9 billion dollars in funding, and 67 Republicans voted against even that.

So, how do you explain that?

There's millions of dollars that are earmarked for States that weren't even affected by Sandy, Vast...the majority of that money going to buy the votes of Republican Senators in States like Miss., Ala. and Texas. Trust me, I'm not saying some members of the GOP are just as guilty of this as Democrats. I hold them in even more contempt than their counterparts because they are "supposed" to be the fiscally responsible party and they are not!!!

You really couldn't find pork?

Examples of the billions slated to go other than those effected in New Jersey and Staten Island:

$28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects.
$100 million for the repair of all 265 Head Start centers around the country.
$8 million (+) to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments.
$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska.
$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.
$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center.
$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
$4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

A tale of two storms?/

Yup. The State and local Govt dropped the ball on Katrina. Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit. The moron didn't do it and in fact waffled about it even after the levis broke.

That's not even true you ignorant twat.
Blanco declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on August 26th and requested a federal declaration from Bush on August 27th. It is amazing to me that 7 years later dufuses such as yourself are still repeating the blatantly incorrect lies some idiot on FOX or Drudge told you. Does a stupid person like yourself EVER bother to check facts out or do you just take whatever they shove down your pie hole? My holy fuck

Here's a news article reporting the August 26th declaration
Gov. Blanco Issues State of Emergency in Preparation for Hurricane Katrina - Acadiana
Here's a copy of the request for a federal emergency declaration
Blanco's State of Emergency letter to President Bush | NOLA.com
Here's the snopes report
snopes.com: Blame Blanco

Now do us grown ups a favor and just SHUT YOUR FUCKING HOLE next time you think about talking about a disaster you so obviously know NOTHING about.

You are a LIAR

Of course you're not sure because O is presiding over this debacle. Says quite a bit about O's inability to lead during a crisis.

When exactly did "O" become Speaker of the House?

So the Speaker of the House is now the "leader" of the United States of America? Hmmm...been awhile since civics class, Vast but I'm pretty sure the President is still in charge.

I mean I know where you're coming from when you say that Boehner is in charge of the House but President Obama is still the guy who's "leading"...or that's the way it SHOULD be, anyways...

What you all seem to forget is that Katrina did not cause the flooding in the 9th ward.

That was caused by the local corrupt politicians who refused to maintain the levees and who spent millions of tax payer dollars of stupid shit like fountains instead of upkeep.

Sorry but MRGO was built by the Army Corps.

Is this some sort of knee jerk reaction because Bush was mentioned as the signor of the aid bill? This has nothing to do with either the current or former President, but about Congress approving aid for one hurricane within 10 days and still not having approved aid for another after 60.

Just a question that I don't know the answer too. How much money was included in the Katrina relief bill that was pork barrel spending? Apparently the Senate has put several billion dollars in the present bill that has nothing to do with Hurricane aid.

I suggest that the House of Representatives should take this pork out of the bill and send it back to the Senate for approval.

YUP....never let a tragedy go to waste.

Show it. List the pork in the most recent bill that failed to pass Congress.

You'll never hear that story from the LeftMedia. They're too busy wiping David Brock's or Obama's semen from their mouths.

There's millions of dollars that are earmarked for States that weren't even affected by Sandy, Vast...the majority of that money going to buy the votes of Republican Senators in States like Miss., Ala. and Texas. Trust me, I'm not saying some members of the GOP are just as guilty of this as Democrats. I hold them in even more contempt than their counterparts because they are "supposed" to be the fiscally responsible party and they are not!!!

Examples of the billions slated to go other than those effected in New Jersey and Staten Island:

OK, let me stop you right there. Why would you bother repairing anything without trying to make sure it doesn't happen again?
Just patching the damage every time a big storm like this comes along would be retarded.

Head Start covers a very large umbrella in assistance to poor children, including health and nutrition services. Said services would be much needed in the wake of Sandy.
Said funding was specifically designated in the bill to be used for Head Start facilities that were "damaged by Hurricane Sandy", not "around the country".

$8 million (+) to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments.

Cars and equipment that were damaged by hurricane Sandy. Are we to let the facilities fall to rot?
How is it "pork" to repair damage federal facilities?

$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska.

Please feel free to link where it says in the bill that funding to repair fisheries would be used in Alaska. If said provision does in fact exist (And I haven't seen it), I'm quite sure it was added to garner the votes of Republicans.
Is it your feeling that a massive storm of this magnitude would not have severely affected the east coast fishing industry?

$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Do you feel these facilities should not be repaired?
The VA Manattan Medical Center was severely damaged by the storm. It is currently closed and will not be re-opening until at least the Spring.
Do you feel that Veterans in NYC should go without medical assistance?

$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.

AHA! These are in fact Pork. I'll give you that. SO, that's $7 million dollars out of $60 Billion. That's what? .001% of the total?
Clearly that's a reason to not even draw up a bill in the house to amend the Senate proposal. Clearly.

And at no point in your post did you address why 67 Republicans voted against even the much more modest request for 9 billion dollars.

Can you provide an explanation for that?

Last edited:
So the Speaker of the House is now the "leader" of the United States of America? Hmmm...been awhile since civics class, Vast but I'm pretty sure the President is still in charge.

I mean I know where you're coming from when you say that Boehner is in charge of the House but President Obama is still the guy who's "leading"...or that's the way it SHOULD be, anyways...

The Speaker of the House is the leader of the House of Representatives.

The President has no power over the House of Representatives, by design.

The reason why there are 3 separate but equal branches of government is so each can be a check on the others. No branch has control over the other two.

Therefore, if the members of the House decide to act like a bunch of children, it is up to the Speaker of the House to keep them in line, not the President, who has no power to do so.

Finally, let's say everything you mentioned was in fact "pork", which is clearly not the case, but let's say it was.

Discounting, of course, the mitigation of future disasters, which clearly can not be included in any consideration of what is pork in this case.

That would be a total of:

$513 million dollars, out of 60 billion dollars or less than 1% of the whole, which is a hell of a lot less than the pork that was included in the Katrina relief aid, which was passed by the Republican-controlled Congress of the time in 10 days.

Of course, the damage from Katrina was in the South, a Republican stronghold, so they had no problem at all with any of THAT pork.

Last edited:
Bush was a leader, love him or hate him, he could lead. Something sorely lacking in the current administration.

Please provide evidence that Bush had to whip Congress up to get them to approve a bill. The fact is that Bush didn't have anything to do with it.

You know, I take it back, it does have something to do with the President. The Republicans refuse to help American people because they hate this President. What other explanation is there to hold up disaster relief for over two months?

^^
:clap2::clap2:
Bump.

If the assholes would stop adding bacon to the order, maybe, just maybe something would get done.

Then again, I'm prolly asking way too much.

Forum List

Back