A Tale of Two Storms. $60 Billion in Fed Aid Within 10 Days

A tale of two storms?/

Yup. The State and local Govt dropped the ball on Katrina. Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit. The moron didn't do it and in fact waffled about it even after the levis broke.

The State should have had a mandatory evacuation and forced everyone out. NO is 5 feet below sea level. Only a moron would have stayed. They had 250 school busses that could have taken loads out. Those same school busses got flooded out.

Bush and FEMA took the hit but the State and local Gov and that stupid Gov were to blame. Of course some will contunue to Blame Bush and FEMA but hey, its the lefty way.

You are utterly full of revisionist shit, and I told you this in the other thread.

The fact is Governor Blanco asked for federal assistance on Saturday August 27, as soon as it became clear the storm was coming. And Bush signed off. In other words they both did their jobs. Something you couldn't be bothered to do in anything like "research".

"...I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal. ... "In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan."" -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco, August 27 ... that's two days before the storm. DUH.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do.:asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

The blame has already been lain, officially, on the Army Corps of Engineers. If that doesn't fit your revisionist agenda that's just too god damn fucking bad.

The blame rests with the Einstein that decided to build a major city in a hurricane zone that is below sea level.

That was done 295 years ago -- when there was more barrier island protection.
Why there isn't as much now, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.

By the way you don't build a major city (except possibly Brasilia). They grow.

You are utterly full of revisionist shit, and I told you this in the other thread.

The fact is Governor Blanco asked for federal assistance on Saturday August 27, as soon as it became clear the storm was coming. And Bush signed off. In other words they both did their jobs. Something you couldn't be bothered to do in anything like "research".

"...I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal. ... "In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan."" -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco, August 27 ... that's two days before the storm. DUH.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do. :asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

The blame has already been lain, officially, on the Army Corps of Engineers. If that doesn't fit your revisionist agenda that's just too god damn fucking bad.

Q: Okay, what does it take to get the President to declare a disaster so I can get FEMA assistance?

A: The Governor is the only person who can ask the President to make a major disaster declaration. But first, the Governor's request must include damage reports from counties affected by the disaster that clearly shows there have been "significant damages." Generally speaking, the number of homes that have been destroyed or with major damage must be in the hundreds for the disaster to be considered "significant." Your part in this process is to report your damages (even if they are insured) to your local jurisdiction's emergency manager so they can be combined with other reports and forwarded to the state for analysis. Until you and your neighbors report your damages, nothing is going to happen. If the President declares a disaster, federal assistance becomes available to people and government agencies that have enough damages to qualify.

Questions Following a Disaster

:ahole-1:

Take the short bus back to reading school; the idiot poster was trying to pass off the load that "Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit". That's not possible to do, for either of them. And when it is possible, it's the POTUS that does it -- not the Governor. :ahole-1:

Tell the truth. You attended the Deney Terrio dance school, now didn't ya? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

"By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do."--PogoDick

You made the statement. Stop being a Lib and blaming others for your shortcomings. :D

Last edited:
Q: Okay, what does it take to get the President to declare a disaster so I can get FEMA assistance?

A: The Governor is the only person who can ask the President to make a major disaster declaration. But first, the Governor's request must include damage reports from counties affected by the disaster that clearly shows there have been "significant damages." Generally speaking, the number of homes that have been destroyed or with major damage must be in the hundreds for the disaster to be considered "significant." Your part in this process is to report your damages (even if they are insured) to your local jurisdiction's emergency manager so they can be combined with other reports and forwarded to the state for analysis. Until you and your neighbors report your damages, nothing is going to happen. If the President declares a disaster, federal assistance becomes available to people and government agencies that have enough damages to qualify.

Take the short bus back to reading school; the idiot poster was trying to pass off the load that "Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit". That's not possible to do, for either of them. And when it is possible, it's the POTUS that does it -- not the Governor. :ahole-1:

Tell the truth. You attended the Deney Terrio dance school, now didn't ya? :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

You made the statemnet. Stop being a Lib and blaming others for your shortcomings. :D

Are you too stupid to read quote attributions, or too obtuse? I'll give you a hint: look for the word "Claudette".

Need a road map?

You made the statemnet. Stop being a Lib and blaming others for your shortcomings. :D

Are you too stupid to read quote attributions, or too obtuse? I'll give you a hint: look for the word "Claudette".

Need a road map?

Look for the word asshole...your picture is next to it.

Dance, baby, dance. And you calling anyone obtuse is priceless. The guy who starts off every reply with an insult. :lol::lol: You reap what you sow.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do. :asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

And MY POINT that NO one seems to remember are the 3 major events... !
Why get pissed face with ME when obviously YOU forget that also!
It wasn't just Katrina remember... $1 trillion in losses due to the WORST HURRICANE SEASONS (plural) not just ONE Sandy ! SEASONS... haven't ever seen that many in ONE President's administration! So why not recognize that fact??

It wasn't just Katrina remember... $1 trillion in losses due to the WORST HURRICANE SEASONS (plural) not just ONE Sandy ! SEASONS... haven't ever seen that many in ONE President's administration! So why not recognize that fact??

And that has what to do with claiming a Governor can declare a disaster area, before anything happens?
Hey Nomad -- it's for you.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwVCjhq3YI]Star Trek - Nomad says "Non Sequitur" a few times - YouTube[/ame]

Might want to let the caffeine set in before posting incoherency.

Pogo is like JoeB131. They "think" they know everything but in reality know nothing about anything.

Pogo is like JoeB131. They "think" they know everything but in reality know nothing about anything.

I'm a Katrinite. I went through the whole thing. And you?

And that has what to do with claiming a Governor can declare a disaster area, before anything happens?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwVCjhq3YI]Star Trek - Nomad says "Non Sequitur" a few times - YouTube[/ame]

Sweat the small stuff PogoPrick. We enjoy meltdowns over minutia. Hammer that irrelevant point all morning. Star Trek always lends credence to one's argument, too! What are you like 12?

275px-Claw-hammer.jpg

Sweat the small stuff PogoPrick. We enjoy meltdowns over minutia. Hammer that irrelevant point all morning. Star Trek always lends credence to one's argument, too! What are you like 12?

275px-Claw-hammer.jpg

You mean you know you're wrong but can't man up to admit it. I accept your apology.
Have some more coffee next time.

Star Trek - Nomad says "Non Sequitur" a few times - YouTube

275px-Claw-hammer.jpg

You mean you know you're wrong but can't man up to admit it. I accept your apology.
Have some more coffee next time.

You couldn't prove me wrong on my worst day and your best, junior. Go hop around on your PogoStick. Maybe you'll jar your brain into actually working.

A tale of two storms?/

Yup. The State and local Govt dropped the ball on Katrina. Bush told that dumb assed Gov to declare it a disaster area three days before the storm hit. The moron didn't do it and in fact waffled about it even after the levis broke.

The State should have had a mandatory evacuation and forced everyone out. NO is 5 feet below sea level. Only a moron would have stayed. They had 250 school busses that could have taken loads out. Those same school busses got flooded out.

Bush and FEMA took the hit but the State and local Gov and that stupid Gov were to blame. Of course some will contunue to Blame Bush and FEMA but hey, its the lefty way.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do.:asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

You are right. After a little research I found this nifty little story on Katrina. A good read.

snopes.com: Blame Blanco

I also agree that the Army Corp of engineers and all those who were holding up the levee modifications were ultimately to blame for the damage and deaths of Katrina.

I still blame State and local for not the non issue of a mandatory evacuation of NO though. Thats something the Weather Service and Bush urged. If those people had been ordered to leave loads of them would still be alive today.

Your an asshole for calling me an asshole and thats just to god damned fucking bad.

Last edited:
Bush was a leader, love him or hate him, he could lead. Something sorely lacking in the current administration.

Please provide evidence that Bush had to whip Congress up to get them to approve a bill. The fact is that Bush didn't have anything to do with it.

You know, I take it back, it does have something to do with the President. The Republicans refuse to help American people because they hate this President. What other explanation is there to hold up disaster relief for over two months?

^^
:clap2::clap2:
Bump.

The aggreived in Katrina were largely black and on welfare anyway. Not helping them is racist. The victims of superstorm Sandy are white and middle class. Helping them is racist.

The bill to "help" storm victims contains everything but help for the victims. Cut out all the pork, cut out the money given to the EPA, salmon fisheries in Alaska. Take out the provision for Homeland Security to get new cars.

To start, the relief bill provides some $28 billion for future "disaster-mitigation" projects — spending that at the least is not a middle-of-the-night emergency.
The bill also allocates $100 million for the repair of all 265 Head Start centers around the country. Some Head Start centers in the New York-New Jersey area may have sustained some hurricane damage. But this is, again, a huge cash infusion to the $8 billion a year day-care program that exploits a tragedy.
Then there's more than $8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments, $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C.
The bill also includes $207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center; $41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm's path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; $4 million for repairs at Kennedy Space Center in Florida; $3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center of New York; and $1.1 million to repair national cemeteries.

Read More At IBD: http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...oehner-on-sandy-relief-bill.htm#ixzz2HPS3mtcm

Aid for Sandy victims? Not even CLOSE.

Last edited:
A tale of two storms?/

You are right. After a little research I found this nifty little story on Katrina. A good read.

snopes.com: Blame Blanco

I also agree that the Army Corp of engineers and all those who were holding up the levee modifications were ultimately to blame for the damage and deaths of Katrina.

I still blame State and local for not the non issue of a mandatory evacuation of NO though. Thats something the Weather Service and Bush urged. If those people had been ordered to leave loads of them would still be alive today.

Your an asshole for calling me an asshole and thats just to god damned fucking bad.

Bravo! :clap2: :eusa_angel:
You just took the step that the guy with the barette and several others couldn't bring themselves to do; you womaned up and conceded you were wrong. That is honest, and I can't praise that highly enough. In that you certainly beat the rhetorical pants off those other pretenders.

But you really can't go around posting fabrications; I will call them out.

FWIW the city did issue evacuation orders. And the underlying fact is, had those ACE levees not breached, nobody would be Monday-morning quarterbacking about who ordered what evacuation when, and Katrina would have been just another hurricane.

Thank you for your honesty.

Tale of two storms.

The victims of Katrina got immediate congressional action and formal congressional and senate hearings by claiming white people blew up the levees.

The victims of Sandy just asked for food and water.

A tale of two storms?/

Governors don't declare disaster areas? :eusa_eh:

I guess the media (and the governors office) gets it wrong every time they do. Who knew?

A tale of two storms?/

Governors don't declare disaster areas? :eusa_eh:

I guess the media (and the governors office) gets it wrong every time they do. Who knew?

Correct. A governor can declare a state of emergency to facilitate aid and evacuation plans in a situation where an emergency is expected (in the case of Katrina this was done Friday 8/26). But the President is the guy that declares a disaster area once it happens (to qualify for a certain level of federal aid). But here's the funny part --- nobody can declare that a place is a "disaster area" in an area where no disaster yet exists. It's all about linear time; a thing does not exist before it exists. Hilarious, isn't it?

This is how it's always reported. The memory is the second thing to go...

Last edited:
Yup, 10 days

In the 10 days after Hurricane Katrina made landfall in Louisiana, the Republican-controlled Congress approved two bills providing $62.3 billion in emergency funding, and President George W. Bush immediately signed them into law.

It has now been 60+ days and counting.

Can "unprecedented" be overused?

"W" cared about de black folk...Obabble not so much about de whites.....

I recall that one leftist blogger contacted me asking for personal testimonials about FEMA failures. I told him the truth: that my experience was perfectly smooth with no problems. I didn't hear from him again, nor did he mention my comment.

Don't get me wrong, if there's reason to criticize George W. Bush I will be clawing to the front of the line like a Black Friday shopper at 5 a.m. But I'm not going to do it for dishonest made-up reasons when I know better.

This is the poison that infects our discourse -- using politics as some sort of team sport, where we're not supposed to care about anything except whether some subject is wearing a red or blue uniform. Even if we have to climb over dead bodies floating down the street to get there.

That's candyass bullshit. Not everything in the world is a freaking partisan war theater. Let's get over it already.

Forum List

Back