A solution to gay marriage that everyone can agree on.

Mr.Right

Mar 19, 2015
It's quite simple, and pure genius, I might add. What we need is a Supreme Court ruling making common law marriage legal in all fifty states. You want to get married? Fine. Declare yourself married, and live together for a year. It's a done deal.

And you won't have to harass bake shops, florists and pizza joints to cater an expensive wedding, saving you money.

It's a win win. Christian business owners don't get hassled. You get married, and everyone is happy.

How cool is that?

Last edited:
It's quite simple, and pure genius, I might add. What we need is a Supreme Court ruling making common law marriage legal in all fifty states. You want to get married? Fine. Declare yourself married, and live together for a year. It's a done deal.

And you won't have to harass bake shops, florists and pizza joints to cater an expensive wedding, saving you money.

It's a win win. Christian business owners don't get hassled. You get married, and everyone is happy.

How cool is that?

Or, counter-proposal, businesses can abide by existing law and shut the hell up about exercising religious beliefs when they're not incorporated as a religious entity.

Ou

How cool is that?

Or, counter-proposal, businesses can abide by existing law and shut the hell up about exercising religious beliefs when they're not incorporated as a religious entity.
Counter counter proposal. Queers could accept a compromise and stop making the lives of Christians a living hell.

How cool is that?

Well.......of course the devil is in the details.

First of all- do you particularly hate bakers in that you want all bakers to no longer have wedding cake business?
Do you particularly hate caterers so much that you want to deny them wedding business?
Do you particularly hate Christian business owners so much that you would deny them all wedding business?

And finally- how exactly do you make the Supreme Court make a ruling like that?

Ou

How cool is that?

Counter counter proposal. Queers could accept a compromise and stop making the lives of Christians a living hell.

LOL....or Christians could just follow the law and not discriminate.

My solution:

Get government out of the marriage business. No tax penalties or preferences. The government's interest is contract enforcement - shared ownership of property, liabilities, and responsibilites (i.e., taking care of any children). That's a civil contract matter, which could easily be handled with self-service forms.

:lol: you want what cannot happen, deltex: marriage equality is going to be the entire law of the land, and so what does anyone care what you think?

And the civil union alternative card was played and failed. You don't get to pull it out of the discard pile now, boedicca, because marriage equality nationally is almost here.

:lol: you want what cannot happen, deltex: marriage equality is going to be the entire law of the land, and so what does anyone care what you think?

And the civil union alternative card was played and failed. You don't get to pull it out of the discard pile now, boedicca, because marriage equality nationally is almost here.

You are completely missing my point. I want government out of the marriage business for everyone.

"A solution to gay marriage that everyone can agree on."

There is no such thing as 'gay marriage,' there is only one marriage law in each of the 50 states that same-sex couples are eligible to participate in.

And most of the states have already implemented the solution by allowing same-sex couples access to that marriage law.

Indeed, this is an issue that could have been easily avoided had the states simply followed the Constitution and sought not to violate the rights gay Americans.

You are completely missing my point. I want government out of the marriage business for everyone.
When is the last time our government gave up any kind of power? Just saying.

Government is not going to get out of the marriage business.

Marriage equality will soon be the law for the entire land.

The left will never go for it, they wouldn't be forcing someone to do something they didn't want to do.

The left will never go for it, they wouldn't be forcing someone to do something they didn't want to do.
Exactly! Their ultimate goal is to completely do away with the institution of marriage. They've actually admitted this.

And if it happens you will have what cannot be....without changing the definition... So you will never have true marriage.

My solution:

Get government out of the marriage business. No tax penalties or preferences. The government's interest is contract enforcement - shared ownership of property, liabilities, and responsibilites (i.e., taking care of any children). That's a civil contract matter, which could easily be handled with self-service forms.
I think I can agree with that, Bodie...

My solution:

I think I can agree with that, Bodie...

There are a number of us on this site that have expressed that sentiment before. I don't think it will happen any time soon, though.

Forum List

Back