A quote from Abe Lincoln over Rich vs Poor--very TRUE--what say you liberals.

"Send them to Liberia, to their own native land. But free them and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit this."

Abraham Lincoln, as cited in "The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln," Roy Basler, ed. 1953 New Brunswick, N.J.,: Rutgers University Press:

IanC's comment above illustrates what is wrong with his muddled thinking. The OP bases its authority on the idea that the quotes were from AL. THEY ARE NOT. Thus, the OP's legitimacy is weakened (1) by the false documentation, and (2) the suspicion that the act was deliberate.

hmmm...

interesting take, I suppose. There are a lot of quotes that are attributed to one person when in all likelihood they originated with another. My point was that no one was interested in the qoute, only in attacking the poster. Ideas stand on their own merit, not by who says them.

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." --Abraham Lincoln

O.K. Liberals explain this one--:lol::lol:

This is probably the best quote I have seen from any President. Apparently our politicians with all their Harvard Law degrees--still don't get it. This quote from someone that had to teach himself how to read & write while using a candle to illuminate the pages of his books so he could read.

Bush tax cuts were the greatest redistribution of wealth from the middle class to the top 3% in the history of the world. That made many in the middle class "poor". You see, it works both ways. Lincoln wasn't talking about what Republicans did. He was talking about taking advantage of rich people. What Republicans did was take advantage of the middle class, which they still do today. Only now much of that middle class is now poor thanks to Republican policies.

Hope that helped.

Interesting. We are just leaving an era where spending more than you have brought about a false prosperity.
Reality is setting in, Adjustment to reality will take years though.
Although we should emerge stronger Althought having less if we don't listen to the idiots.

IanC's comment above illustrates what is wrong with his muddled thinking. The OP bases its authority on the idea that the quotes were from AL. THEY ARE NOT. Thus, the OP's legitimacy is weakened (1) by the false documentation, and (2) the suspicion that the act was deliberate.

hmmm...

interesting take, I suppose. There are a lot of quotes that are attributed to one person when in all likelihood they originated with another. My point was that no one was interested in the qoute, only in attacking the poster. Ideas stand on their own merit, not by who says them.

My point is the quote is false, it's attacked and that part is over.

Did you knowingly post a false claim to authority? If you think that is an attack on you, it's not: it's a questioning of your professionalism and integrity.

Did you do it on purpose or by accident?

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anaïs Nin

Spot on, Anaïs.

FYI here's some other quotes from that brilliant woman:

• "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
  • "This diary is my kief, hashish, and opium pipe. This is my drug and my vice."
  • "...for no one has ever loved an adventurous woman as they have loved adventurous men."
  • "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
  • "I do not want to be the leader. I refuse to be the leader. I want to live darkly and richly in my femaleness. I want a man lying over me, always over me. His will, his pleasure, his desire, his life, his work, his sexuality the touchstone, the command, my pivot. I don’t mind working, holding my ground intellectually, artistically; but as a woman, oh, God, as a woman I want to be dominated. I don’t mind being told to stand on my own feet, not to cling, be all that I am capable of doing, but I am going to be pursued, fucked, possessed by the will of a male at his time, his bidding."
  • "How wrong is it for women to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than set out to create it herself."
  • "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by giving, by losing."
  • "Each friend represents a world in us, a world not possibly born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
  • "I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I cannot transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls."
  • "Something is always born of excess: great art was born of great terror, great loneliness, great inhibitions, instabilities, and it always balances them."
  • "Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing."
  • "Dreams are necessary to life."
  • "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."
  • "People living deeply have no fear of death."
  • "The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment with it, that was the miracle."
  • "Each contact with a human being is so rare, so precious, one should preserve it. "
  • "The only abnormality is the inability to love."

I'd like to hear a true story of a rich person who has been "destroyed" - operative word here is "destroyed" - because he was forced by the government to help out the poor.

That last point about doing for people what they can and should do for themselves was also adapted by John Wooden for his Pyramid of Success. Thoughts that strengthen the charchter are good by virtue of the strength they impart.

I have always believed Lincoln to be a great and good man, but I did not know him. Whether a thought comes from him or from someone else, it should stand or fall based on its merit, not its author.

Is Lincoln considered great due to his actions and words or are his wods considered great because they are his? Obviously, he is considered great due to his actions and words. Also humor. Like Franklin, he knew the value of making people smile.

I'd like to hear a true story of a rich person who has been "destroyed" - operative word here is "destroyed" - because he was forced by the government to help out the poor.

"Help out" meaning what? I have held numerous jobs and have been grateful to have each and every one of them. Some rich guy was at the source of each of these jobs. Did they not "help" me by employing me?

The first job I ever had was mowing the lawn of a judge. At the completion of the mowing, he would painstakingly review the entire job. We would walk around his yard and talk about mowing the lawn. Talk about how the grass grew. Talk about how trimming the grass near to the fence was a difficult job that required precision and attention.

He would point out where I had lost concentration or where a flower had bloomed on a bush. Bugs, dirt, grass, edging, trimming, drought, rainfall, pride and achievement.

He could just as easily have given me the $1.00 and said, "Thanks" and sent me on my way. I don't recall what I spent the dollars on, but I do recall those walks around his yard.

He was not "forced" to do this but he did help me.

Is the part of your dream stated above that pleases you the most that a rich guy is brought down or that a poor person is helped out? Is it the forcing part or the helping part?

Maple, I understand why you are personally supporting the OP, but the fact is the person who posted did so with false documentation. Lincoln would have been a progressive if he had lived in that age. Progressives are both liberal (women's vote) and conservative (prohibition). Anybody who states that progressivism is only liberalism is (1) mentally feeble, (2) ignorant, or (3) malignant.

hmmm...

My point is the quote is false, it's attacked and that part is over.

Did you knowingly post a false claim to authority? If you think that is an attack on you, it's not: it's a questioning of your professionalism and integrity.

Did you do it on purpose or by accident?

I am confused by your wording. I assumed you were talking about my 'muddled thinking' by your use of a pronoun. I did not defend the OP, just the actual qoutes, whether or not they were spoken by Lincoln. (wasn't at least one part attributed to him?). My point was that there is no need to make a claim to authority when the idea stands on its own merit. Do you think the ideas stated in the OP are reasonable or not? I could care less whether you think it was falsely attributed to Lincoln.

Nothing confusing, IanC. Didy you deliberately or mistakenly post the "Lincoln" quote.

What you are opinion is remains absolutely worthless to this discussion, but what you did still has some value here.

Yes, I did, and thank you for correcting that, IanC.

One, the quote was mislabelled.

Two, the merit of the quote was enhanced by the authority of Lincoln not by its intrinsic character.

If you wish to argue that, then post your OP instead of trying to resurrect the abortion of this one.

Here is something that Lincoln actually DID say:

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- from First State of Union Address

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- from First State of Union Address

That..and a progressive tax system adds parity to the economy. Although I would favor a more robust audit system of the "top" earners. Might flush out more Madoffs.

Thanks for straightening it out

Lincoln actually admired the working man and had a distrust of the capitalists who were trying to profit off the war

Forum List

Back