A question for USMB lefties

Our President said it best

. It is my fervent goal and hope…that we will some day no longer have to rely on nuclear weapons to deter aggression and assure world peace. To that end the United States is now engaged in a serious and sustained effort to negotiate major reductions in levels of offensive nuclear weapons with the ultimate goal of eliminating these weapons from the face of the earth.”

Why on earth would any of you think it's a good idea to weaken our nuclear arsenal?

I know Obama has plans of eventually ridding the world of nukes, but seriously, shouldn't the plan be to empower the good guys and make sure the bad guys don't get them???

Here's an article on Obama wanting to cut down more of our warheads.

A Cut Too Far | Washington Free Beacon

Several reasons

1. If you have one nuclear weapon that you can deliver with certainty, nobody is going to fuck with you
2. We have in the order of 1500 nuclear weapons and foolproof delivery systems
3. Russia is the only nation with close to our capability and they want to cut down
4. We have had no use for our vast nuclear arsenal, subs, missiles and bombers for 60 years

We can cut our warheads, subs, missiles, bombers and support personnel in half and we would still have nobody who will mess with us

You're making too much sense.

Why on earth would any of you think it's a good idea to weaken our nuclear arsenal?

I know Obama has plans of eventually ridding the world of nukes, but seriously, shouldn't the plan be to empower the good guys and make sure the bad guys don't get them???

Here's an article on Obama wanting to cut down more of our warheads.

A Cut Too Far | Washington Free Beacon

fyi:

March 28, 2012 | Edited by Benjamin Loehrke and Mary Kaszynski

History lesson - “Every second term Republican President since the beginning of the nuclear age...proposed drastic changes to the U.S. nuclear arsenal,” writes Nickolas Roth for Democracy Arsenal. In this light, notes Roth, President Obama’s pursuit of treaties and arms reductions in a second term would be a “continuation of decades of work by Republican Presidents in their second terms.”

--George W. Bush approved a 50% cut to the nuclear stockpile, arguing that nukes are outdated and costly. Reagan signed the Intermediate Nuclear Forces in Europe Treaty and initiated START negotiations. Nixon signed SALT I and the Threshold Test Ban Treaty. Eisenhower established a testing moratorium. Can President Obama Live Up to the Accomplishments of His Predecessors? - democracyarsenal.org

Tweet - @Maddow: Obama vs. Reagan, Eisenhower, Nixon, and GWB on nukes. Great context, great article: Nukes of Hazard Blog - Blog

right :eusa_whistle:

It's wasteful because it is unused and very likely to remain unused, Without searching I believe we have about 1500 large yield warheads ready to launch by various methods, what thread warrants such a huge program?
So how about we denotate it somewhere huh?????? I have a gun but dont shoot it is that wasteful???I mean I should get rid of it right and what? Trust I can talk a criminal from raping and killing my wife and daughter while the cops come IF they come? But at least I got rid of that gun right???I mean I was wasteful............You are a fucking moron.

Should we have 1000 aircraft carrier groups in the Navy? Of course not, that would be crazy. How about a standing army 500 times bigger? This cannot be explained in any way that makes sense to anyone but a rabid gun nut.
So you dont think soldiers and sailors are worth having a job but teacher are?

So how about we denotate it somewhere huh?????? I have a gun but dont shoot it is that wasteful???I mean I should get rid of it right and what? Trust I can talk a criminal from raping and killing my wife and daughter while the cops come IF they come? But at least I got rid of that gun right???I mean I was wasteful............You are a fucking moron.

Should we have 1000 aircraft carrier groups in the Navy? Of course not, that would be crazy. How about a standing army 500 times bigger? This cannot be explained in any way that makes sense to anyone but a rabid gun nut.

When schools have more teachers than they need, come back and ask that question again.

When schools have more teachers than they need, come back and ask that question again.

All public schools have more teachers then they need.

The US currently has over 5000 nuclear warheads on 18 Submarines, missile sites and bombers. All this nuclear capability requires delivery systems, maintenance, support system and massive security. All for a weapon that has not been used in 65 years and will probably never be used

Worst case....what would happen if the US had only one functional submarine with 24 missiles and 10 MIRVs per missile. That is 240 warheads.
Would you attack the US knowing that in response, 240 warheads would be coming back? You may be able to inflict more damage on the US but would have your own major population centers destroyed.

Now look at the damage 18 submarines could do along with missiles and bombers

Don't tell me we cannot reduce our nuclear stockpile

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/w...general-backs-large-us-nuclear-reduction.html

General Cartwright said that the United States’ nuclear deterrence could be guaranteed with a total arsenal of 900 warheads, and with only half of them deployed at any one time. Even those in the field would be taken off hair triggers, requiring 24 to 72 hours for launching, to reduce the chance of accidental war.

“The world has changed, but the current arsenal carries the baggage of the cold war,” General Cartwright said in an interview. “There is the baggage of significant numbers in reserve. There is the baggage of a nuclear stockpile beyond our needs. What is it we’re really trying to deter? Our current arsenal does not address the threats of the 21st century.”

Given the low likelihood of a huge nuclear exchange with Russia or China, General Cartwright said, these steep reductions in the American arsenal are necessary if the United States wants credibility to urge restraints on the weapons programs of smaller nuclear powers like India and Pakistan — and on potentially emerging nuclear states like Iran and North Korea.

General Cartwright said that countries like India and Pakistan viewed their weapons more as a shield to protect their sovereignty than as a sword to be used in conflict. They and some potentially emerging nuclear powers ignore Washington’s calls for curbing their nuclear aspirations, saying that the United States is guilty of hypocrisy because it maintains a huge arsenal.

Last edited:
And what do we do with all the weapon grade fissionable material from these dismantled warheads geniuses?

warehouse.jpg

A question for USMB lefties

How about all you USMB Righties

Do any of you support reducing our nuclear stockpiles?

Forum List

Back