CDZ A Question For Atheists

Most christians don't follow the 10 commandments. More are concerned with "gay" folks instead of working on Sundays.

That's true. Some animals are moral outliers too. I'm curious how other primates view their gay fellows.

I have wondered from time to time just what you base the rules of life on?
Morality started based on scripture. But an atheist does not follow scripture.
If you destroy scripture then you destroy morality.

You of course may argue life is based on laws. Fair enough but what were those laws based on? Now if someone kicked in your door and stole your stuff and raped your wife and killed your kids you would say that is wrong based on the law BUT as already stated those laws were based on scripture.

How does an atheist base any rules on anything WITHOUT that base in scripture?
It's actually very easy. I use empathy. Never do something that I wouldn't want done to me.
I won't steal from you or assault you. I try not to lie about anything important. And that just about covers the majority of the 10 Commandments which don't relate back to a deity. Since my success comes from the successes of others, I support my community as I'm able and work to better the lives of those around me.

My morality is an internal personal code. I have fully accepted who I am and have no need for the approval of others in order to keep me in line. And that brings up a question of my own: If you need scripture to define your morality, are YOU truly a moral being?

"I have wondered from time to time just what you base the rules of life on?"

The same thing theists base their rules of life on, the same moral codes, the same tenets, the same beliefs, and the same principles.

The only difference is that those free from faith correctly understand that all religions, all moral codes, all tenets of faith, beliefs, and principles are created by man.

“If you destroy scripture then you destroy morality.”

This fails as an appeal to faith fallacy.

You of course may argue life is based on laws. Fair enough but what were those laws based on? Now if someone kicked in your door and stole your stuff and raped your wife and killed your kids you would say that is wrong based on the law BUT as already stated those laws were based on scripture.

It's actually very easy. I use empathy. Never do something that I wouldn't want done to me.
I won't steal from you or assault you. I try not to lie about anything important. And that just about covers the majority of the 10 Commandments which don't relate back to a deity. Since my success comes from the successes of others, I support my community as I'm able and work to better the lives of those around me.

My morality is an internal personal code. I have fully accepted who I am and have no need for the approval of others in order to keep me in line. And that brings up a question of my own: If you need scripture to define your morality, are YOU truly a moral being?
Outstanding reply. Is not your empathy personal scripture? Can you not trace your empathy back to scripture/law?

Outstanding reply. Is not your empathy personal scripture? Can you not trace your empathy back to scripture/law?
Are you suggesting people didn't have empathy until they wrote it down??? The straws are being grasped too tightly.

Are you suggesting people didn't have empathy until they wrote it down??? The straws are being grasped too tightly.
No I am suggesting that even primitive man had scripture in order to be tribal. But even the empathy you learned came from someone else. If you were to trace your own empathy back even through your blood lines it would STILL go back to scripture/law.

Personal scripture? Scripture (with a lowercase 's') still denotes sacred and religious writings - something I simply reject. Therefore, "personal scripture" is pretty much an oxymoron.

My empathic values have been echoed in every major culture on the planet in some way or other - Confucianism, Hinduism, Taoism, even Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Once you remove the deity, it still boils down to using yourself as a measure of what you would personally find acceptable. IMO, theology only confuses things.

No I am suggesting that even primitive man had scripture in order to be tribal. But even the empathy you learned came from someone else. If you were to trace your own empathy back even through your blood lines it would STILL go back to scripture/law.
Couldn't you also say that "primitive man" used fear of an unknown deity to force others to conform to a leader's opinion? Is that "morality"?

Personal scripture? Scripture (with a lowercase 's') still denotes sacred and religious writings - something I simply reject. Therefore, "personal scripture" is pretty much an oxymoron.

My empathic values have been echoed in every major culture on the planet in some way or other - Confucianism, Hinduism, Taoism, even Islam, Judaism, and Christianity. Once you remove the deity, it still boils down to using yourself as a measure of what you would personally find acceptable. IMO, theology only confuses things.
This "b: a body of writings considered sacred or authoritative"
from here.. Scripture Definition of scripture by Merriam-Webster

"A body of writing". Personal scripture may not be written it maybe just what you tell your kids the "rules" aka scripture/law is.

Your empathy your home rules came from somewhere. Even if you got them from grand parents they got them some where. Atheists never recorded floods or anything for that matter. Darwin and his idea have proven to be as junk as global warming.
If not more so.

You seem to be equating Scripture with Law with anything that has been written down which is not Religious Scripture. Many cultures throughout history did not have a written language but they did have empathy so tick this one off.

"A body of writing". Personal scripture may not be written it maybe just what you tell your kids the "rules" aka scripture/law is.

Your empathy your home rules came from somewhere. Even if you got them from grand parents they got them some where. Atheists never recorded floods or anything for that matter. Darwin and his idea have proven to be as junk as global warming.
If not more so.
You forgot to add "considered sacred or authoritative" in your definition. Floods were recorded all throughout history depending on what region they were in. As for the religious affiliation of these authors I cannot tell because not everyone wrote down their religious affilation when describing natural diasters. Evolution is true and there is thousands upon thousands of empirical data and evidence to support this. Something that has zero evidence would be any claim for a god. You better start a new thread as this one has been smashed to bits.

I don't know if I would agree with that statement at all. Man became tribal out of the need for safety and resources. Then, as also today, if the question is to kill you and eat or spare you and we both starve to death, one of us is toast. Morality is a relative thing and can't be dictated in terms of absolute laws which is the essence of scripture.

If not more so.
You forgot to add "considered sacred or authoritative" in your definition. Floods were recorded all throughout history depending on what region they were in. As for the religious affiliation of these authors I cannot tell because not everyone wrote down their religious affilation when describing natural diasters. Evolution is true and there is thousands upon thousands of empirical data and evidence to support this. Something that has zero evidence would be any claim for a god. You better start a new thread as this one has been smashed to bits.
Evolution? okay, show me this "magic" pond. You must know where it is. Can I Google earth it? You do need that to prove evolution.

If not more so.
Evolution? okay, show me this "magic" pond. You must know where it is. Can I Google earth it? You do need that to prove evolution.
What are you talking about?

If not more so.
Where did the "authority" come from in that definition? Changing the meaning of the term after the syntax was established is intellectually dishonest. We are talking about theistic vs atheistic morals here, so scripture must refer to sacred writings and not simply those which are authoritative.

Yes - my ethics came from my parents and the rest of my family. They also come from the community and are easily learned by simply observing social patterns in the wild. One does NOT need a religious text to know that depriving another person of something which is his is considered improper. I wouldn't consider a newspaper to be "scripture" in the context in which it's used here, but you can read it and see what happens to people who kill, or steal, or lie, or cheat. These are scriptural laws to be sure, but they're also societal. I say that because from scripture we know it's wrong to kill, yet if you do kill then society may decide to end your life. I know you'll bring out the eye for an eye adage, but it wasn't long ago where if you stole a man's horse you could be hung. And morals are selective - it's OK to kill if your government tells you to.

We don't know if atheists ever recorded floods - I'm sure they may have, but their ideologies never really mattered. One thing is for sure, you won't read the Book of Non-theism in the often rewritten Bible.

As to Darwin, even the Roman Catholic Church has changed it's stance on his theories. And they remain theories mostly because man has not yet found the proto-cell and so far has been unable to produce one in a lab. You're using the argument I try to avoid: show me your God. You can't. You can only point to the things you think are the tracks he made. And unlike evolutionary science, there are things that you can't explain unless you have faith. I don't. And because of that, I can deal with subjects like global warming rationally, realistically, and honestly by dealing with facts and data and not superstition and denial.

But an atheist has NO law book, none. Where did the atheist standards come from? If an atheist says law of the land then it's based on scripture. Pick your book. ANY atheist with morals or values or honor got them somewhere. But NOT from an atheist.
Because they are based on no standard.

Wrong. What an atheist doesn't have is a deity. Everybody has a law book.

Sorry but your morals are not based on scipture. This is a fact
And you would argue my morals are based on what?
Independent thought of right and wrong which are evolving concepts and a sense of well being for your fellow man. The scriptures promote slavery and genocide. Do you consider these to me moral acts?

And rape and incest... considering all of which, it's a good thing laws are NOT based on scripture, and a potentially fatal thing when they are.

If not more so.

Do you think man is unable to figure out that you should treat others fairly without some deity telling him to? The teachings of Jesus are certainly profoundly moral, but nothing that wasn't taught before him when it comes to interaction with others.

I find it difficult to pay much attention to the pronouncements anyone who professes to base his lifestyle rules on a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation of what some alleged prophet might have said in a language no one still speaks, thousands of years ago, that wasn't even written down for the first thousand or so years..
IMNSFHO worshiping "scripture" is indeed a fools endeavor..
Eventually mankind will evolve beyond this level of foolishness, but i'm certain that nobody here will live to see and enjoy those glorious times..
In the meantime, the old " do unto others..." thing has worked for me for 7+ decades..!!

Forum List

Back