CDZ A Question For Atheists

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
I have wondered from time to time just what you base the rules of life on?
Morality started based on scripture. But an atheist does not follow scripture.
If you destroy scripture then you destroy morality.

You of course may argue life is based on laws. Fair enough but what were those laws based on? Now if someone kicked in your door and stole your stuff and raped your wife and killed your kids you would say that is wrong based on the law BUT as already stated those laws were based on scripture.

How does an atheist base any rules on anything WITHOUT that base in scripture?

You of course may argue life is based on laws. Fair enough but what were those laws based on? Now if someone kicked in your door and stole your stuff and raped your wife and killed your kids you would say that is wrong based on the law BUT as already stated those laws were based on scripture.

Survival.

Community and cooperation are products of evolution. So is religion.

• Banned

Survival.

Community and cooperation are products of evolution. So is religion.
If the only rule is survival then you do not have a community, you have a murdering clan.

Laws really aren't "based on scripture". It's more the other way around. The laws of the community/village/tribe were long established before we invented supernatural beings to ascribe them to.

Even the various scriptures are derivative and repetitive echoes of that. The "Ten Commandments" are lifted from the Principles of Ma'at in Egypt -- 2000 years prior.

Laws really aren't "based on scripture". It's more the other way around. The laws of the community/village/tribe were long established before we invented supernatural beings to ascribe them to.

I would suggest that what you say isn't supportable.

Man has long recognized "supernatural beings", whether they be the god of water, or the God of salvation.

Man has long recognized "supernatural beings", whether they be the god of water, or the God of salvation.

When primitive humans come together into a community, that requires cooperation. And that means ground rules are going to be set down first thing -- where you get to sit, what my job is, who gets to use that hut, what everybody's status is in the pecking order. That has to come first simply to survive and operate as a community. Any heavy ponderations on the nature of the universe is going to come after that.

Why do morals have to be based on "scripture"?

That's the question - if your morals aren't based on 'scripture', just exactly what ARE they based on?

They're based on how I was raised by my atheist parents.

And, where did your atheist parents get them? What is the foundation of your moral code?

From their atheist parents.

The foundation of my moral code is pretty simple. Be Good.

That's the question - if your morals aren't based on 'scripture', just exactly what ARE they based on?

And, where did your atheist parents get them? What is the foundation of your moral code?

"Good" is a relative term.

Did your grandparents get their rules from society? From the church?

"Good" is a relative term.

Did your grandparents get their rules from society? From the church?

Morals are relative, too.

My grandparents got their "rules" from living life.

Where does general feelings on morals come from? The law and where does one find the base of law? Scripture. If you are an atheist and you feel killing is wrong is that not your scripture?

No, morals come from personal beliefs of "right" and "wrong". While scripture can play a part in making that determination, nothing makes it required.

When primitive humans come together into a community, that requires cooperation. And that means ground rules are going to be set down first thing -- where you get to sit, what my job is, who gets to use that hut, what everybody's status is in the pecking order. That has to come first simply to survive and operate as a community. Any heavy ponderations on the nature of the universe is going to come after that.
^ This

But scripture and law are the same thing. Cooperation is only the willingness of others to live under the same scripture/law.

But scripture and law are the same thing. Cooperation is only the willingness of others to live under the same scripture/law.

"Scripture" and "law" are NOT the same thing, and both are only tangentially related to morals.

It is a myth that morality is based on scripture. It is also a myth that our laws are based on scripture. There were laws (many of which are still relevant today) that existed long before Mosaic law, and certainly long before the Bible ever existed. The Code of Hammurabi is one example. Morality didn't suddenly appear when anonymous Bedouins decided to write down their traditions. People prefer to be treated with decency and respect. When people started getting together in larger and larger towns, it became necessary to have some kind of law and order so that people can get along and conduct commerce. Our concept of governance largely comes from ideas that originated in Rome and Greece. So morality is whatever society decides works for the safety and betterment of its people. You don't need a bible for to be a decent person.

Forum List

Back