A Question About Power

What motivates people to seek positions of power over others?

• They feel superior

• They feel inferior

• They are trying to compensate for their inadequacies

• They were once bullied and are looking for some payback

• They are drunk with power

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

S.J.

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2012
So. Cal.
Ever had a boss or supervisor who seemed to live for the opportunity to fire people or threaten their job security? Not just limited to employment situations but any position of authority.

Ever had a boss or supervisor who seemed to live for the opportunity to fire people or threaten their job security? Not just limited to employment situations but any position of authority.
Oh yeah and she was totally insecure. Used to stand by the breakroom door to hear what was said. She was fired after it was found she put a baby monitor in a "secured" room.

Mostly compensate for their inadequacies IMO

Gives 'em a tingle.. ;)

I don't know because I never had a boss. But I always ask my people to give me a written proving why this employee or employees deserve to be fired. And they better give me a very good reasons WHY.

I actually think a lot of people are attracted to power for many reasons. Some people just like being in control of others. They won't admit to it but they do. Most of their relationships with others center around who is in charge. Either they are in charge or someone is in charge of them. There is nothing democratic in any relationship they have with others.

That being said, some people may learn that people tend to fear you once in power which means they are extra nice to you. They say nice things to you and greet you in the hall way. Any boss learns this and if they are insecure then that power makes them feel really good about themselves.

Forum List

Back