A Question About Guns In Public…

Where would you feel safer…?

• undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Accidental discharge is almost unheard of in concealed carry. So you would base a decision on the remote chance some gun may go off and harm the person carrying it? Hell accidental deaths from firearms are almost unheard of. less than a 1000 a year.

As for some criminal getting the weapon? It is CONCEALED CARRY, no one knows who has what. How exactly does the bad guy get the weapon?

Heat of the moment? Again almost unheard of with concealed carry.

Just admit you are afraid of weapons and don't want anyone to have them. Then admit since you can not stop criminals from having them you have unreasonable fears about law abiding citizens having them.

Almost..., almost..., almost! That's the rub isn't it? It doesn't actually prevent crime, just adds another possible danger point.

According to every study ever done concealed weapons laws DO reduce crime. There has been at least one county by county study and showed a certifiable drop in crime when civilians were allowed to carry concealed. And it wasn't a small drop either.

How about citing the study? I cited a study that shows firearm deaths to be higher in states(red) liable to have less stringent gun laws than in places like NY, NJ and MA. I think, like the oft-heard but never verified meme that crime went up dramatically in Australia after the passage of stringent gun laws, this "study" may just be an anecdote.

Would someone EATING have the foresight to remove the firearm, aim, and hit the crazed killer before the killer shot THEM?

Yes, I would, then finish the taco. No problem. Aim always at the face.

Robert

Begs the alcohol question. If a restaurant serves alcohol, would you even be allowed to have a gun while eating your taco.

Almost..., almost..., almost! That's the rub isn't it? It doesn't actually prevent crime, just adds another possible danger point.

According to every study ever done concealed weapons laws DO reduce crime. There has been at least one county by county study and showed a certifiable drop in crime when civilians were allowed to carry concealed. And it wasn't a small drop either.

How about citing the study? I cited a study that shows firearm deaths to be higher in states(red) liable to have less stringent gun laws than in places like NY, NJ and MA. I think, like the oft-heard but never verified meme that crime went up dramatically in Australia after the passage of stringent gun laws, this "study" may just be an anecdote.

Here's the author of one of the best studies. When he began the study he was anti gun. Now he is pro gun. Unlike the AGW scientists however he is intellectually honest.

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

Here's the author of one of the best studies. When he began the study he was anti gun. Now he is pro gun. Unlike the AGW scientists however he is intellectually honest.

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

Got something without an obvious bias? I cited a study, not a poltical statement. I read the header and decided it wasn't worth my time. It hardly inspires confidence when a "study" leads off with a political meme. You certainly wouldn't accept that sort of article from an AGW proponent.

Would someone EATING have the foresight to remove the firearm, aim, and hit the crazed killer before the killer shot THEM?

Robert

Begs the alcohol question. If a restaurant serves alcohol, would you even be allowed to have a gun while eating your taco.

Don't know. Good question. I don't drink so wouldn't know that either, since I love my mind just as it is. Love the coffee, hand rolled mexican tobacco cigs, and the hot peppers however, but no drugs or drink.

I'd still aim for the face.

With the spatter gun, aim for the chest. Since it all comes unglued anyway, into a cloud of pink mist.

Robert

Robert

Don't know. Good question. I don't drink so wouldn't know that either, since I love my mind just as it is. Love the coffee, hand rolled mexican tobacco cigs, and the hot peppers however, but no drugs or drink.

With the spatter gun, aim for the chest. Since it all comes unglued anyway, into a cloud of pink mist.

Robert

You're a sick, sick man.

Where would you feel safer…?

an open-access area (municipal park, university, shopping mall, store, restaurant, etc.) where the carrying of concealed weapons is strictly prohibited…?

What are the homicide and suicide rates in such areas?

or an open-access area (municipal park, university, shopping mall, store, restaurant, etc.) that permits law-abiding adult citizens to carry concealed weapons…?

What are the homicide and suicide rates in such areas?

you can do your own research to answer your specific question...

So you have no idea. And since you don't, upon what data do you base your opinion?

but nearly all of the high-profile shooting incidents have been in areas (schools, restaurants, etc.) where guns were prohibited... the only exception I can think of is the Giffords shooting in Arizona...

These are anecdotes, not data.

Accidental discharge is almost unheard of in concealed carry. So you would base a decision on the remote chance some gun may go off and harm the person carrying it? Hell accidental deaths from firearms are almost unheard of. less than a 1000 a year.

As for some criminal getting the weapon? It is CONCEALED CARRY, no one knows who has what. How exactly does the bad guy get the weapon?

Heat of the moment? Again almost unheard of with concealed carry.

Just admit you are afraid of weapons and don't want anyone to have them. Then admit since you can not stop criminals from having them you have unreasonable fears about law abiding citizens having them.

You're referring to the Lott and Mustard study, which held sway for many years. But that's not "Every study ever done". In fact, the landmark research that called Lott and Mustard into question found evidence of the opposite conclusion. You can read the whole extensively detailed, extensively cited regression analysis here:

http://islandia.law.yale.edu/ayers/Ayres_Donohue_article.pdf

Robert

You're a sick, sick man.

Yes, but it's a dry heat and it is all so much fun....

Robert

I am opposed to people carrying concealed weapons in most public facilities.

thanks, Peach...

could you expand upon that a bit...?

The risk of those not "law abiding" getting the firearm, accidental discharge, and "heat of the moment" crimes.

The risk of a "not law abiding" person getting his hands on my weapon are nil because he will be ventilated long before he is close enough to reach for it. Accidental discharge is essentially impossible. A gun simply does not discharge without human action.
"Careless discharge" is possible, but generally, careless people do not qualify for a concealed carry permit.
Heat of the moment crimes, I suppose are possible, but I've been in bar fights and have not drawn my weapon. I'm just not built that way.. I am fully capable of taking the life of some poor SOB that needs killin', but I am not anxious to do so.
Your "heat of the moment" crimes and careless discharges are much more apt to happen with someone who is carrying illegally.
I would bet that 98% of gun related grimes are committed by people WITHOUT a concealed carry permit.

thanks, Peach...

The risk of those not "law abiding" getting the firearm, accidental discharge, and "heat of the moment" crimes.

The risk of a "not law abiding" person getting his hands on my weapon are nil because he will be ventilated long before he is close enough to reach for it. Accidental discharge is essentially impossible. A gun simply does not discharge without human action.
"Careless discharge" is possible, but generally, careless people do not qualify for a concealed carry permit.
Heat of the moment crimes, I suppose are possible, but I've been in bar fights and have not drawn my weapon. I'm just not built that way.. I am fully capable of taking the life of some poor SOB that needs killin', but I am not anxious to do so.
Your "heat of the moment" crimes and careless discharges are much more apt to happen with someone who is carrying illegally.
I would bet that 98% of gun related grimes are committed by people WITHOUT a concealed carry permit.

Thank you for additional points to consider.

Why concealed why not open carry?

I have a CC permit but just have my 1911 in a holster on my power chair.

there are some psychological things going on with concelaed vs open carry but I cannot describe them.

Last edited:
thanks, Peach...

Serious question: Do you think people should need a permit to carry a concealed weapon? I only ask because I happen to live in a state where you can carry concealed by right, with no permit or permission required - and I'm curious what strong pro-2nd amendment people feel about it (I'm presuming that defines you, correct?)

I was thinking along lines of restaurants, taverns, and libraries actually.

here's one...

Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In response to the massacre, the Texas Legislature in 1995 passed a shall-issue gun law, which requires that all qualifying applicants be issued a Concealed Handgun License (the state's required permit to carry concealed weapons), removing the personal discretion of the issuing authority to deny such licenses. To qualify for a license, one must be free-and-clear of crimes, attend a minimum 10-hour class taught by a state-certified instructor, pass a 50-question test, show proficiency in a 50-round shooting test, and pass two background tests, one shallow and one deep. The license costs $240 to $290, depending on the added instructor's fee.

The law had been campaigned for by Dr. Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the time of the shootout where both of her parents were shot and killed. She later expressed regret for obeying the law by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person due to the fact that it could have cost her her chiropractic license.

Are you dumb, you know how long it takes one man to shoot 43 people? Good God you are ignorant.

Robert

Varies state to state.
In Connecticut and Alabama it is legal to carry in a bar. In New Mexico, it is not. If you just forget you are carrying and walk into a 7/11 in Albuquerque, you are looking at a mandatory 1 year stretch. 7/11 sells beer...

I asked a QUESTION bayou. I do not doubt this woman wishes SHE had been armed that day. But some public places are not suitable for firearms. With metal detectors to prevent shoplifting, how will grocery, drugstores, and retail shopping outlets handle all the concealed carry customers?

sigh... okay... let's go back to your original question... which was "Would someone EATING have the foresight to remove the firearm, aim, and hit the crazed killer before the killer shot THEM?"

To answer your question, Ms. Hupp was huddled down with her parents as the killer made his way around the restaurant. While she and her parents waited for the killer to make his way to them, she had plenty of time to pull out her pistol and take the killer down, but she had left her pistol in her car because the prevailing laws at the time prevented her from legally bringing it in with her in her purse. As a result, she was unable to prevent the killer from killing her parents.

Regarding your second remark... "But some public places are not suitable for firearms. With metal detectors to prevent shoplifting, how will grocery, drugstores, and retail shopping outlets handle all the concealed carry customers?"...

If bad guys are capable of shooting up restaurants, what makes you think they are incapable of shooting up grocery stores, drugstores, and retail shopping outlets...?

and, btw... hate to bust your safety-zone bubble, but those metal detectors to prevent shoplifting have absolutely nothing to do with detecting people walking in with concealed weapons...

A bit beyond "bad guys"; I am asking questions to get the viewpoints of those that disagree with me, I do change my mind on issues WITH enough information. Now, back to retail shopping, when someone carrying carrying a concealed weapon LEAVES the store, would the buzzer go off?

No they are not metal detectors they are keyed to a certain thing that is added to items in the store. Or they would go off now whether armed if you had a big belt buckle or lots of change. Try using your head for a change.

Forum List

Back