A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

It is real easy, he is a despicable human being!

What specifically did Trump do to make you angry?

Pretty much everything about him. You do know he is a liberal at heart don't you?

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?
Small towns are pissed because they are starting to have big town problems! I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent considerable time in two small towns growing up. In both places it did not take long before I knew pretty much every bodoies name that I would run into. I did not need an ID at the bank the teller knew me personally and my siblings names and my parents names. I very rarely ever locked the door in either town there was no need. When I lived in these towns it had been like fifty years since there had been a murder in either one. Now here comes this opiate epidemic and all that has changed. Murders, theft and break ins now happen in both places. Both places have opiate overdoses they are nothing like when I lived there. I am pissed and I do not live in either place any more.
First of all the so-called sociologist can't distinguish anger from concern. Hard to imagine he can get any good data, given his bias from the start. Also, in typical liberal fashion, he confuses the progressive movement with positive change. In the long term, no one really benefits from lower standards.

It takes food to keep a nation going, that comes from rural areas and always will. Go ahead and change that part of society so it doesn't function and see how great a country you have. Perhaps this gentleman was not given good information because he came off as a city slicker. Whatever the reason, he certainly did not learn a thing, nor help the cause of understanding.

City slicker or not, he is an outsider and that gives him a neutral perspective I think. He is uninvolved. He had a question and went to the people involved to find the answers.

Washington has always been the target. How can you target culture...who is your focus? Job loss...who do you focus your blame ... who can you blame? Not some vague ideas but something concrete, the people who are supposed to represent you but don’t seem to listen once in office.

Part of the problem is rural areas are in trouble. Agriculture is declining, fewer people want to farm or follow in the professions that s all towns need to sustain their economies. Small towns across America are losing population, and once you get below a critical mass you lose the services needed to sustain them, grocery stores, clinics, etc. my state is full of places like that and it is sad. I don’t know what the answer is, but I suspect we can’t turn back the clock, we have to find new ways while respecting and valuing the old.

And I think that is part of the problem...a problem I acknowledge “my side” the left, needs to examine within its own ranks. A pervasive contempt for these people and their institutions: faith, morality, building things, family. It is a contempt that devalues their core values and reduces them to labels..fundies, rednecks, etc. as opposed to people. We aren’t going to solve anything as long as we don’t respect each other.

Damn...I spent some time righting this when bang...some one set off a stink bug nearby. I do not respect stink bugs.

Robert Wuthnow, a sociologist at Princeton University, spent eight years interviewing Americans in small towns across the country. He had one goal: to understand why rural America is so angry with Washington.

"Wuthnow’s work resulted in a new book, The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America. He argues that rural Americans are less concerned about economic issues and more concerned about Washington threatening the social fabric of small towns and causing a “moral decline” in the country as a whole. The problem, though, is that it’s never quite clear what that means or how Washington is responsible for it."

And this is where he gets to the root
Sean Illing
"I guess I just don’t know how to respond to these sorts of complaints. Yes, the world has changed; it’s always changing. And I understand the sense of loss some people feel because of that, but at some point, we have to acknowledge that culture evolves and stop trying to unwind the historical clock."

They have been fighting cultural changes they already lost, then trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places and then sells them MAGA hats

A Princeton sociologist spent 8 years asking rural Americans why they’re so pissed off

Conservatives afraid of change? Are cats afraid of vacuum cleaners?
Conservative is to conserve tradition...liberal is to push the envelope of what is “us”...imo.

That hits the nail on the head and combined with the sense of disrespect for their values it’s easy to understand the anger but it is anger impossible to direct at the real problems, because they are so nebulous. So Washington becomes an identifiable target for all things wrong and Trump their salesman and savior.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Congressional Job Approval!

73.7% disapproval rating for Congress...yeah, its just us rural folk....
No it isn’t just rural folks..

He should interview the left, show them a picture of president Trump then ask them why they are so angry.

Pretty much everything about him. You do know he is a liberal at heart don't you?

You can't name a one specific thing, yet he makes you angry?

Ok the great health care he promised cheaper and better.
Mexico paying for wall and liking it.
Tax cuts for uber wealthy and corporations while expanding their expenditures and eliminating ours. My taxes will go up 17.4%.
Giving us dirtier air and water.
Rolling bank Dodd-Frank to help insure another banking crisses.

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?
Small towns are pissed because they are starting to have big town problems! I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent considerable time in two small towns growing up. In both places it did not take long before I knew pretty much every bodoies name that I would run into. I did not need an ID at the bank the teller knew me personally and my siblings names and my parents names. I very rarely ever locked the door in either town there was no need. When I lived in these towns it had been like fifty years since there had been a murder in either one. Now here comes this opiate epidemic and all that has changed. Murders, theft and break ins now happen in both places. Both places have opiate overdoses they are nothing like when I lived there. I am pissed and I do not live in either place any more.

Big problems in my area as well...but you have to look at what is behind them. Many of the areas with bad problems like that are also economically depressed, jobs have left and so has a lot of the population. You can’t fix the opiate problem without addressing the causes. People want a future and if there is no future, no sense of value it is easier to turn to to drugs,

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?

This is not a political issue but a social issue.

City slicker or not, he is an outsider and that gives him a neutral perspective I think. He is uninvolved. He had a question and went to the people involved to find the answers.

Washington has always been the target. How can you target culture...who is your focus? Job loss...who do you focus your blame ... who can you blame? Not some vague ideas but something concrete, the people who are supposed to represent you but don’t seem to listen once in office.

Part of the problem is rural areas are in trouble. Agriculture is declining, fewer people want to farm or follow in the professions that s all towns need to sustain their economies. Small towns across America are losing population, and once you get below a critical mass you lose the services needed to sustain them, grocery stores, clinics, etc. my state is full of places like that and it is sad. I don’t know what the answer is, but I suspect we can’t turn back the clock, we have to find new ways while respecting and valuing the old.

And I think that is part of the problem...a problem I acknowledge “my side” the left, needs to examine within its own ranks. A pervasive contempt for these people and their institutions: faith, morality, building things, family. It is a contempt that devalues their core values and reduces them to labels..fundies, rednecks, etc. as opposed to people. We aren’t going to solve anything as long as we don’t respect each other.

Damn...I spent some time righting this when bang...some one set off a stink bug nearby. I do not respect stink bugs.

I do not want to fight about this Coyote. With due respect, it is akin to having a white person ask why inner city black gangs can't get along with other gangs.

There are pockets of hope Coyote: Millennials in agriculture: Changing the world? | Michigan Farm News

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?

Big problems in my area as well...but you have to look at what is behind them. Many of the areas with bad problems like that are also economically depressed, jobs have left and so has a lot of the population. You can’t fix the opiate problem without addressing the causes. People want a future and if there is no future, no sense of value it is easier to turn to to drugs,

And scapegoating minorities and people on the other side of the political spectrum does nothing to address the root of the problem , laissez fair capitalism run amok following the cheapest labor around the world and states fighting and outbidding each other for jobs , the poor schmo workers are taught to fight each other for the scraps

Robert Wuthnow, a sociologist at Princeton University, spent eight years interviewing Americans in small towns across the country. He had one goal: to understand why rural America is so angry with Washington.

"Wuthnow’s work resulted in a new book, The Left Behind: Decline and Rage in Rural America. He argues that rural Americans are less concerned about economic issues and more concerned about Washington threatening the social fabric of small towns and causing a “moral decline” in the country as a whole. The problem, though, is that it’s never quite clear what that means or how Washington is responsible for it."

Sean Illing
"I guess I just don’t know how to respond to these sorts of complaints. Yes, the world has changed; it’s always changing. And I understand the sense of loss some people feel because of that, but at some point, we have to acknowledge that culture evolves and stop trying to unwind the historical clock."

They have been fighting cultural changes they already lost, then trump comes along and assures them he alone will turn back the clock and bring back their 1950's world of minorities and women knowing their places and then sells them MAGA hats

Just out of curiosity, I don't really think you know what you're, or this sociologist, are talking about.

However, when did Trump make assurances that he alone will turn back the clock and bring the 1950's back?

I do not want to fight about this Coyote. With due respect, it is akin to having a white person ask why inner city black gangs can't get along with other gangs.

There are pockets of hope Coyote: Millennials in agriculture: Changing the world? | Michigan Farm News
I am glad there are pockets of hope, believe it or not I share your concern, it is a bad problem in WV, we are full of struggling small towns that no longer even have a grocery store. I value agriculture..especially the family farm...an endangered species. Asa nation, we have some of the best agricultural land in the world...we need to place a high value on it and the people who produce it. Not pave it over or disparage farmers :(

They are scared of non-whites. That's pretty much 75% of it.

Going off the way white people are treated in some non-white countries, maybe they have good reason to be.

Sean Illing

Just out of curiosity, I don't really think you know what you're, or this sociologist, are talking about.

However, when did Trump make assurances that he alone will turn back the clock and bring the 1950's back?
his social policies and now his economic policies will

It may have escaped the notice of many, but Trump actually jumps to the center many times. It is an attempt to get the government to work out compromises. So far, both sides have resisted.

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?

And scapegoating minorities and people on the other side of the political spectrum does nothing to address the root of the problem , laissez fair capitalism run amok following the cheapest labor around the world and states fighting and outbidding each other for jobs , the poor schmo workers are taught to fight each other for the scraps

Scapegoating never addresses the problems...it is the easy solution. You don’t have to think. Just find a convenient target.

Going off the way white people are treated in some non-white countries, maybe they have good reason to be.

I value a person based on my interactions with them and do not infer generalizations to all people of the same color. Most labels I have learned were from liberals.

Eating your own again?

In what way dupe?

Yes we forgot that price does not equal value. We went after the lowest priced item for ever and forgot about quality and the fact that american made products means american jobs as well as american quality. This was not the imigrants fault. We have forgot about loyalty and quality now the ass of my jeans wear out in a year not to mention china has put poison in a lot of our products and we do not punish them by not buying. What the hell happened to us?

They see themselves as becoming a minority but they aren’t...you only get there by clumping all minorities in one basket. Changing demographics are a reality that people will have to accept.

Forum List

Back