A perfect SAT score denied entrance to ivy league schools liberals trickle down stupid...,

No. I'm pointing out that based on my observations here at USMB, most conservatives believe that a business, which would include colleges, should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

So you agree that, even if these schools have the legal RIGHT to do this, that it is wrong?

My opinion is nowhere to be found in my statements. I was expressing a curiosity as to why conservatives object to this when they generally think a business should have the 'liberty' to do or not do business with anyone they please.

What are you going on about? Is your point that universities should discriminate?

What we're talking about is, an anti-discrimination law...that discriminates by nature, is not a good approach to fight discrimination. It's not that hard to understand that point.

I'm talking about the broad consensus among RW'ers around here that a business should be able to refuse service to gays, or blacks, or Jews, or anyone they please if that's their desire,

and thus, why are they objecting to a college doing exactly what these RW'ers otherwise endorse?

Ok I'll entertain your ridiculous red herring, if a "college" wants to do so, they wouldn't be accredited. Which their degrees would be useless, and not a viable business model.

But if you actually want to fight against discrimination, why support a law that discriminates unfairly against minorities, despite there being much more effective options to fight discrimination? I'm also done with entertaining your red herrings to no where.

I'm questioning the selectivity of outrage by the conservatives around here.

So you agree that, even if these schools have the legal RIGHT to do this, that it is wrong?

My opinion is nowhere to be found in my statements. I was expressing a curiosity as to why conservatives object to this when they generally think a business should have the 'liberty' to do or not do business with anyone they please.

What are you going on about? Is your point that universities should discriminate?

What we're talking about is, an anti-discrimination law...that discriminates by nature, is not a good approach to fight discrimination. It's not that hard to understand that point.

I'm talking about the broad consensus among RW'ers around here that a business should be able to refuse service to gays, or blacks, or Jews, or anyone they please if that's their desire,

and thus, why are they objecting to a college doing exactly what these RW'ers otherwise endorse?

Ok I'll entertain your ridiculous red herring, if a "college" wants to do so, they wouldn't be accredited. Which their degrees would be useless, and not a viable business model.

But if you actually want to fight against discrimination, why support a law that discriminates unfairly against minorities, despite there being much more effective options to fight discrimination? I'm also done with entertaining your red herrings to no where.

Which this entire OP is questioning the selective outrage of social justice warriors who don't care about heavily documented, long standing discrimination against Asians Americans.... why are you still on this red herring missing the original point?

According to conservative consensus, a college should have the right to accept or reject anyone they choose, for any reason.

Are you defending the idea of rejecting people based on race?

No. I'm pointing out that based on my observations here at USMB, most conservatives believe that a business, which would include colleges, should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

Your point is noted. And I agree. Private Schools do have a right to discriminate as they see fit.

BUT, imo, that is A. generally WRONG, b. evidence of systemic discrimination against asians and whites and thus against the myth of White America being racist and c.information that should be considered in policy.

According to conservative consensus, a college should have the right to accept or reject anyone they choose, for any reason.

Your point is noted. And I agree. Private Schools do have a right to discriminate as they see fit.

BUT, imo, that is A. generally WRONG, b. evidence of systemic discrimination against asians and whites and thus against the myth of White America being racist and c.information that should be considered in policy.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL you endorse discrimination as long as it isn't against Asians and Whites.

Which this entire OP is questioning the selective outrage of social justice warriors who don't care about heavily documented, long standing discrimination against Asians Americans.... why are you still on this red herring missing the original point?

Because most conservatives on USMB believe that discrimination against Asians should be allowed.

More stupidly by liberals once again...

A perfect ACT score couldn't get this student into Yale, Princeton, or Stanford, and he says it's because he's Asian-American

With a perfect ACT score and 13 Advanced Placement courses under his belt, Michael Wang applied to seven Ivy League universities and Stanford in 2013.

An Asian-American, Wang suspected his race might work against him. But he was still shocked when he was rejected by Stanford and every Ivy League school except for the University of Pennsylvania.

Wang says he worked incredibly hard and excelled in every area possible. But it still wasn't good enough.

"There was nothing humanly possible I could do," Wang told us, saying he felt utterly demoralized after his rejections.

Wang said that after he was rejected from most of the Ivies, he filed a complaint with the US Department of Education alleging that Yale, Stanford, and Princeton discriminated against him because he was Asian-American.

Wang isn't alone in his belief that the Ivies discriminate against Asians. A coalition of Asian-American groups filed a lawsuit against Harvard last month alleging the college and other Ivy League institutions use racial quotas to admit students to the detriment of more qualified Asian-American applicants. The more than 60 Asian groups are coming together to fight what they say are unfair admission practices.

Wang's credentials are impressive. Academically, he was ranked second overall in his class and graduated with a 4.67 weighted grade point average. He scored a 2230 on his SAT, placing him in the 99th percentile of students who took the exam.

A perfect ACT score couldn't get this student into Yale, Princeton, or Stanford, and he says it's because he's Asian-American

With a perfect ACT score and 13 Advanced Placement courses under his belt, Michael Wang applied to seven Ivy League universities and Stanford in 2013.

An Asian-American, Wang suspected his race might work against him. But he was still shocked when he was rejected by Stanford and every Ivy League school except for the University of Pennsylvania.

Wang says he worked incredibly hard and excelled in every area possible. But it still wasn't good enough.

"There was nothing humanly possible I could do," Wang told us, saying he felt utterly demoralized after his rejections.

Wang said that after he was rejected from most of the Ivies, he filed a complaint with the US Department of Education alleging that Yale, Stanford, and Princeton discriminated against him because he was Asian-American.

Wang isn't alone in his belief that the Ivies discriminate against Asians. A coalition of Asian-American groups filed a lawsuit against Harvard last month alleging the college and other Ivy League institutions use racial quotas to admit students to the detriment of more qualified Asian-American applicants. The more than 60 Asian groups are coming together to fight what they say are unfair admission practices.

Wang's credentials are impressive. Academically, he was ranked second overall in his class and graduated with a 4.67 weighted grade point average. He scored a 2230 on his SAT, placing him in the 99th percentile of students who took the exam.
I think it would be hard from him to prove his case. Ivy league schools often use a Holistic Approach to admission. There procedures for selecting students goes well beyond just selection the students with the highest grades and test scores.

I think it would be hard from him to prove his case. Ivy league schools often use a Holistic Approach to admission. There procedures for selecting students goes well beyond just selection the students with the highest grades and test scores.

What?

So they are immuned from affirmative action?

Please tell us you are posting drunk as was not serious

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL you endorse discrimination as long as it isn't against Asians and Whites.

I just agreed with you. I agree that these private schools have the right to discriminate.

Your point was correct.

What I want is for these fuckers to be HONEST about what they are doing.

And for both sides to be held to the same rules.

SO that if bakers have to bake cakes they don't want to, then Ivy League Colleges can't discriminate against poor whites.

OR the EXACT OPPOSITE.

And I want for us to stop pretending that Affirmation Action, Celebrating Diversity and Disparate Impact Theory is about discriminating against Whites (and asians).

SO that we can base policy and actions on reality instead of vile lefty lies.

It would be informative and revealing to know the skin color of those who rejected this guy's application.

Maybe your son was not ACCEPTED because he learned spelling from you.

My son wasn't excepted into a few that he wanted because they only pick a few students in the area, to keep it open for other states and countries,,

The schools are so crowded these days.that the schools can pick whom ever they want...
Most of these students come in with the same kind of credentials

Wow.

And there it is gang. You didn't build that, you didn't earn that, you don't deserve that.

America, 2017.

The point is valid. He's complaining that race was the reason he didn't get accepted into some of the most prestigious universities in the world, when in reality your chances of being accepted are higher as an Asian-American.

Millions apply to enter Ivy League schools, and only a very limited number of which are accepted. Maybe he just wasn't good enough?

No, it was race.

Less qualified affirmative action Negroes get accepted to those schools based upon idiotic "diversity" criteria.

I don't know why anybody would want to attend one of those idiotic Ivy League schools. They are bastions of Left Wing hate, intolerance and stupidity. You can't get a good education from a school that teaches Left economics and all that mindless social justice bullshit. You would come out of the school being able to spout Left Wing garbage but functionally illiterate and do stupid things like vote for that idiot Obama and that corrupt piece of shit Crooked Hillary and hating free enterprise and personal responsibility. How dumb is that?

Maybe your son was not ACCEPTED because he learned spelling from you.

My son wasn't excepted into a few that he wanted because they only pick a few students in the area, to keep it open for other states and countries,,

The schools are so crowded these days.that the schools can pick whom ever they want...
Most of these students come in with the same kind of credentials

Did you see his point A? You're really not being honest, and just building up a straw man for yourself. He does not endorse discrimination, he endorses property and first amendment rights for every single individual. School discriminating as they see fit is not limited to whites against minorities, YOU inserted that. Property and 1st amendment rights extend to all individuals, so a black college wanting to be strictly a black college, no whites, no hispanics, no asians, just blacks. A black store that only caters to blacks, a Jewish bridal store that only caters to Jewish wedding needs, a Muslim college for muslims only etc etc. If a gay shop owner wants to refuse business to a west borough baptist church member he should have every right to do so. Now if you're a racist SOB and you don't want to serve food to blacks, yes that should be you're right, but you're going to run you're business into the ground. A black or Hispanic racist only serving food to their own kind will have very right to do so as well. Not saying it's good business policy, but that business is you're property.

Because most conservatives on USMB believe that discrimination against Asians should be allowed.

We're not the ones advocating for laws that discriminate positively or negatively, which AA does both. What are you not understanding about that. An anti-discrimination law, based on discrimination, that negatively effects minorities is a failed policy. Unless you really do not care about us asians. Just come out and say that we'd rather cater to blacks, and tip the scales in their favor against you. It's what you're doing now, just own up to it.

What?

Affirmative action can be laws or policies that grant special consideration to historically excluded groups such as racial minorities or women. For example, an institution may have very few Asians in the student body so the institution may create policies which attempt to achieve some racial balance goal.

Just because a person is black or Asian does not mean they are entitled to special treatment. That depends on the affirmative action policies of the school and the current student demographics.

Ivy league schools have developed policies which seek to create a diverse student body population in regard not to just sex and race but in ethnicity, and life experiences. So just because you have the highest SAT score in country does not mean you will be admitted.

A good example of application of this policy is Liz Murray who is notable for having been accepted by Harvard despite being homeless in her high school years. Murray was born in the Bornx to poor and drug-addicted parents, both of whom would later contract HIV. She became homeless just after she turned 15, when her mother died of AIDS. Despite her late high school start and living on the streets and homeless shelters, she graduated from high school in 2 years with good grades and a high SAT score but certainly not the near that of most Harvard applicants. Apparently the school made the right decision in accepting her as she graduated and eventually earned a doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology. Today she's inspirational speaker in schools and businesses across the country.

When people like Liz Murray or the kid from a Somali refugee camp, or others that have shown they have what the the university wants in their student body, they may displace others with higher grades and test course.

However, most likely Wang simply did not have some of what the school was looking for even though grades and test scores were tops.

Snowflakes care about CERTAIN minorities that they can brainwash into becoming drones for votes.

Asians handle their business and are not BRAINWASHED by ENTITLEMENTS.

Snowflakes hate Asians because they cannot manipulate them.

More Snowflake hypocrisy.

What?

Affirmative action can be laws or policies that grant special consideration to historically excluded groups such as racial minorities or women. For example, an institution may have very few Asians in the student body so the institution may create policies which attempt to achieve some racial balance goal.

Just because a person is black or Asian does not mean they are entitled to special treatment. That depends on the affirmative action policies of the school and the current student demographics.

Ivy league schools have developed policies which seek to create a diverse student body population in regard not to just sex and race but in ethnicity, and life experiences. So just because you have the highest SAT score in country does not mean you will be admitted.

A good example of application of this policy is Liz Murray who is notable for having been accepted by Harvard despite being homeless in her high school years. Murray was born in the Bornx to poor and drug-addicted parents, both of whom would later contract HIV. She became homeless just after she turned 15, when her mother died of AIDS. Despite her late high school start and living on the streets and homeless shelters, she graduated from high school in 2 years with good grades and a high SAT score but certainly not the near that of most Harvard applicants. Apparently the school made the right decision in accepting her as she graduated and eventually earned a doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology. Today she's inspirational speaker in schools and businesses across the country.

When people like Liz Murray or the kid from a Somali refugee camp, or others that have shown they have what the the university wants in their student body, they may displace others with higher grades and test course.

However, most likely Wang simply did not have some of what the school was looking for even though grades and test scores were tops.

So you're saying it's ok to negatively discriminate based on skin color.

What?

A load question. You are making the assumption there was discrimination.

What?

A load question. You are making the assumption there was discrimination.

There is long and heavily documented discrimination. Asians have to out preform all other races, by a pretty wide margin, especially when compared to minorities. Is this ok?

Being Asian actually increases your chances of being accepted into an American university due to affirmative action policies.

It sounds like this entitled try hard is just butthurt that he didn't get accepted, and is trying trying to offload accountability by playing the race card.

Being Asian increases your chances?? I'd like to see you back that statement up with some facts.

Forum List

Back