A new America

Self government.

Atleast from the part of the Republicans that haven't been corrupted by Progressives.

And what greater idea is there?

This country does self govern.

That is a bullshit line

How on earth can you advocate the nanny state and see how much control they have and claim that we govern ourselves? You don't have the first idea of what self government is.

I would like to see your definition, seriously, and how it could possibly be put into practice. "Self-government" a pretty broad, all-encompassing phrase, so maybe I misunderstood you.

See, the problem isnt that a great deal of wealth was destroyed. The problem is that it never existed in the first place.

It's the big lie thats out there. Much of this nation has no clue how to create wealth. It's called: Work, thrift, industry, honesty, etc.

You try to create wealth on any other principles, you may succeed for a time, but eventually nature will correct itself and more people than simply you will suffer.

How many homes were lost due to our huge unemployment problem?

You see not only people who took out interest only loans were harmed.

'Wealth Destroyed'?

Bought my home 15 years ago for $129k. 5 years ago, comparable units sold for $289k. I didn't want to sell then, still had kids at home. My father was living with me too and wasn't well enough for being uprooted. So 3 years later, my father is gone and I've one last kidlet at home, having just graduated college and looking for a job. I put the house on the market for $189.9. Get an offer. After x number of weeks, she wants to renegotiate, I refuse.

So now, house on market in a week or so, $179.9. Has anything been 'destroyed'? My guess is my unit will sell in about 2 months for $168-172. I've been harmed? Yes, my unit will be listed lower than many in the area, I need and want to sell.

Now the 30 somethings that might have bought a like unit for say, $275? Yeah, they would take a beating now, but if they stay? Who knows? Who's choice to pay those prices? Who wouldn't check back dates of sales. Yeah, wished I'd wanted to sell back when, but is $40k approx. a bad investment over 15 years? I don't think so.

Well I would hate to be the only owner of a home not upside down on a block where every other home has a foreclosure sale sign out front, windows smashed, grass as tall as sea grass in the front yard, even if I still had some equity in my own property.

A whole 'nuther subject, but why can't banks just turn those houses into rental properties and act as landlord until investors snap them up? Rental housing in general is extremely tight all over the country.

Our democracy is the people governing which is self government.

The people govern in this country and are having their ability to do so destroyed by some of the wealthy who are willing to do anything to rule us.

They want to drag this countrys government down until its small enough to drown in the bath tub.

Democrats and Republicans, or any other party; who still believe in a united America, that believe in debate with class and compromise, That believe those unfortunate need a hand, that health care isn't a business product but a human right of every American, that we have the right bear arms, and we have the right to honest and fair news, and be allowed, to decide for ourselves with out rush, Keith, Glenn, or reverend wright or many others trying to influence our own ideology,then join me and hopes we can still keep America strong and free through a voice. Let the people who believe in the American Dream and the right to one's religion, stand out and say enough is enough. If you feel this way please respond or message me. Through God all things are possible.

A nice sentiment but I think 'we the people' have to do these things. Faith is personally important but change comes from good people, sensible legislation, and a sense of civic duty to each other. America has loss her values over greed and narcissistic materialism, but materialism is still essential at a certain level for all people not just the haves. When I listen to republicans today, I wonder what the hell happened? The party of Lincoln has lost its moral compass and the democrats are too afraid to speak the truth. Budgetary arguments deprive the working classes, but feed a war machine, tax structure makes the wealthy useless speculators, corporate profit motive moves work overseas just to make more, executives grab the loot and give the finger to the workers who provide the tools for their exorbitant salaries. Faith has to be we are on this ship together for this brief moment, why do the stupid.

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

To better understand how materialism took the place of values, more people need to watch this documentary on the baby boomers and why and how they came to believe that they were invincible and could have it all with no sacrifice; then passed it on to their children. Enter today's under 40 mindset where so many of the younger generations can't understand why they can't have it all too.

News Headlines

Last edited:

Forum List

Back