A Letter From An Elderly Religious Aid Worker In Darfur

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by NATO AIR, Nov 6, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    this was sent via e-mail to me by my former chaplain, Lt. Cmdr. Cedric Hunter, now deployed in Iraq but still a fervent supporter of intervention in Darfur. The letter is from an elderly aid worker from rural Georgia, who has interrupted his retirement to venture to the border area of Chad alongside Darfur. He was with the Navy Seabees active duty and as a contractor for decades and went to the Darfur region to assist in the cultivating of water sources and the construction of aid camps.

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Unfortunately, Dubbyuh doesn't seem to be inclined to do anything.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    yep, neither was kerry... remember their shameful debate performance together on this issue?

4. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No profit to be had. No strategic or tactical value. Oh well.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    You guys always claim we need the world behind us. We should pass the 'global test'. Who else is stepping up to the plate and entering Darfur?

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    we do not need the world behind us, we need "right" with us. if what we are doing is just, then no nation can stop us.

the test is this... a government is using rape, maiming and murder to wipe out more than a million people who are the wrong skin color and on the wrong land, will anyone stand up for justice and stop this madness?

genocide is happening, so far the UN, EU and the rest of the world is failing the test. will the US?

7. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the USA will step in and end the genocide and make an example of the evil doers. My point is that there is little profit to the USA, either in terms of $'s or strategic/tactical position in doing so, and therefore I doubt we will take more than a very limited action in Darfur if any. I suspect that we will insist that this be an international effort and if the UN and EU refuse to act, so will we.

What we should do is send at least 5,000 troops into Darfur with helecopter support and clean it out. We should have done this months ago, but today is better than never.

8. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Your hypocrisy is blinding. Are you really saying that it's OK for the US to go alone in Darfur to save suffering civilians, but it wasn't OK to go into Iraq alone (though it wasn't alone) to save suffering civilians?

9. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I was going to reply with the exact same thing until I read your post. Of course you know he'll come back with a lame response about WMD. I also assume he believes there was a 'profit to be had' in Iraq. I would love to see how we are profiting.

10. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I'm saying the USA going into Dafur to save suffering civilians is totally different than the USA going into Iraq to pursue it's own intrests.

Please get off the "we are in Iraq for the good of the Iraqi people". That is so obviously not true its not even humorous.

If we were to go into Dafur to stop the suffering, it might actually lend a little credibility to the argument for Iraq.