A Letter From An Elderly Religious Aid Worker In Darfur

Sir Evil said:
Wade - I asked your reason why we are in Iraq! if interested we do have a thread going on the board titled "Identity Crisis". it may help with these issues!

Well, that explained it pretty good, why should I repeat the effort?

I didn't read that long article but can I assume it had something to do with Evil Imperial Amerika going to war for power and oil and revenge?

wade said:
Depends on how you set it up. Yes phpBB has security issues, mostly related to what mods you install. As for features, phpBB has group control features that VB does not come close to offering.

The group controls in VB are far superior to phpbb. What options specifically do you believe phpbb offers that VB doesn't?

Not really important to this kind of a board but that is what motivated me to move to phpBB, along with the ever increasing price of the VB license.

Ever increasing? LOL It's a one time fee. I bought the license and now I own the software forever. Only those unfamiliar with technology need spend more thereafter.

But I think you must agree far too much effort in VB has been spent on these silly emoticons when it is lacking such a key feature as a spell checker.

1st off, the emoticons are made by users, not VB. They are added additionaly to the board and you can do the same within phpbb. Only around 10 emoticons come with the install of VB. And I already told you that VB does have a spell check option, I just choose not to utilize it. However small it is, why waste cpu resources? I assumed primarily adults would be using this board that have half an education.

wade said:

Is it just me, or does it smell like bullshit in here? PNAC nothwithstanding, Americans have been possessed of isolationist tendencies since the Revolution. The closest we ever came to being in search of empire was during the Teddy Roosevelt presidency.

We could have had gained colonies after WWI, WWII, after the first Gulf War and certainly now. But instead, after each we returned to our insular attitudes and isolationist policies. So as far as I'm concerned, the PNAC article is just so much overblown leftist hysteria. There may be an element in this country that seeks dominion over others, but I see no way that it can ever be successful.

But back to the original topic of this thread. I believe that we should intercede in Darfur and that we should have already done that. But you know as well as I that the rest of the world will be on our butts the instant we do - and it will be the damn French who will lead the charge - again. Not only that, but you can bet that there will be accusations from the left here at home about any American involvement anywhere. They will proclaim it as proof positive that Bush is a power-mad cowboy who is seeking to dominate the world. Isn't it a bitch that leftists have painted themselves into such a corner that they now find themselves unable to support an action that they really do want us to undertake?

Also I find it the height of hypocrisy that you denounce our efforts in Iraq while denouncing our lack of action in Darfur. Are you one of the multitude of libs who wait until the President makes a decision so that you can oppose it?

jimnyc said:
The group controls in VB are far superior to phpbb. What options specifically do you believe phpbb offers that VB doesn't?

phpBB allows very specific group visability controls, and group memberships options that are not available in VB, or at least were not when I used it. VB for instance, only allowed membership in one group per user. Maybe it's changed?

jimnyc said:
And I already told you that VB does have a spell check option, I just choose not to utilize it. However small it is, why waste cpu resources? I assumed primarily adults would be using this board that have half an education.

Well, for those that type slowly and generally make short replies that's fine. For those of us who type over 60-80 words a minute and have limited time to double check what we write on a board such as this, the lack of a spell checker, a normal tool in todays world, is a handicap.

For me, I simply have a hard time seeing spelling errors and typo's. Having written loads of code in a variety of languages, where terms and spellings are often completely arbitrary, I've lost the ability to easily see many common spelling errors. I have to double check my math too, as years of hex math have made it hard for me to add and subtract in decimal.

It's your choice then not to include spell checking facilities. It's my choice not to worry too much about spelling in response.

Half an education? How much research have you done under a top rated University banner? Have you ever had your research published Jimmy?

jimnyc said:
Ever increasing? LOL It's a one time fee. I bought the license and now I own the software forever. Only those unfamiliar with technology need spend more thereafter.

I just re-read the terms of "ownership". Just like when I used VB, when you "buy" the product, that includes updates for just one year. After that you can continue to use it, but you may not download and install updates. If you want updates, you have to pay again.

When I ran UBB, it was something like $25 for the first year, then it went up to something like $40, and now I see it's $80 for a license. That is what I call "ever increasing".

wade said:
Half an education? How much research have you done under a top rated University banner? Have you ever had your research published Jimmy?

I went to a technical school and received honors in 7 out of 8 courses. All 8 were very demanding and approximately 3 mos. in length apiece. Before that I went to Kean College in Union NJ. I also attended St. Johns University in Jamaica Queens for a year. I had a 4.0 GPA after 1 year and 8 courses. I've had nothing published as I've never attempted to have anything published. I've taken courses in Cisco, Network Administration, TCP/IP and Novell 5.x and received outstanding scores in every course.

As for the phbb Vs. vBulletin debate, I'll stick with paying money for a quality product for those serious about their websites. Nearly every professional company that offers a forum uses VB. I can install phpbb in about 3 minutes as it comes pre-configured to be installed as part of CPanel. I've also used and own Invisionboard which is also an inferior product. The entire VB system is designed by paid developers and engineers. Almost of all the additional features that can be installed are also designed by them. They have a very thorough beta program they utilize to make sure their product is secure and as bug free as possible.

wade said:
I just re-read the terms of "ownership". Just like when I used VB, when you "buy" the product, that includes updates for just one year. After that you can continue to use it, but you may not download and install updates. If you want updates, you have to pay again.

When I ran UBB, it was something like $25 for the first year, then it went up to something like $40, and now I see it's $80 for a license. That is what I call "ever increasing".

And that's why I qualified my statement with "Only those unfamiliar with technology need spend more thereafter." The upgrades are not always necessary unless you have a need for the additional features put forth. Many design add-ons for VB and offer it free of charge. And those as well are usually tested on VB staff owned sites and you'll know what's secure and what isn't.

If you want to update your VB it's $30 extra for an additional year of support and all upgrades. Money well spent, and very cheap, in my opinion.

Forum List

Back