A Few Words About That Ten-Million-Dollar Serial Comma

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The case of the Maine milk-truck drivers who, for want of a comma, won an appeal against their employer, Oakhurst Dairy, regarding overtime pay (O’Connor v. Oakhurst Dairy) has warmed the hearts of punctuation enthusiasts everywhere, from the great dairy state of Wisconsin to the cheese haven of Holland.

Nothing, but nothing—profanity, transgender pronouns, apostrophe abuse—excites the passion of grammar geeks more than the serial, or Oxford, comma. People love it or hate it, and they are equally ferocious on both sides of the debate. Individual publications have guidelines that sink deep into the psyches of editors and writers. The Times, like most newspapers, does without the serial comma. At The New Yorker, it is a copy editor’s duty to deploy the serial comma, along with lots of other lip-smacking bits of punctuation, as a bulwark against barbarianism.

While advocates of the serial comma are happy for the truck drivers’ victory, it was actually the lack of said comma that won the day. Here are the facts of the case, for those who may have been pinned under a semicolon. According to Maine state law, workers are not entitled to overtime pay for the following activities: “The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of: (1) Agricultural produce; (2) Meat and fish products; and (3) Perishable foods.”

The issue is that, without a comma after “shipment,” the “packing for shipment or distribution” is a single activity. Truck drivers do not pack food, either for shipment or for distribution; they drive trucks and deliver it. Therefore, these exemptions do not apply to drivers, and Oakhurst Dairy owes them some ten million dollars.

Losing a case for lack of a comma.

The case of the Maine milk-truck drivers who, for want of a comma, won an appeal against their employer, Oakhurst Dairy, regarding overtime pay (O’Connor v. Oakhurst Dairy) has warmed the hearts of punctuation enthusiasts everywhere, from the great dairy state of Wisconsin to the cheese haven of Holland.

Nothing, but nothing—profanity, transgender pronouns, apostrophe abuse—excites the passion of grammar geeks more than the serial, or Oxford, comma. People love it or hate it, and they are equally ferocious on both sides of the debate. Individual publications have guidelines that sink deep into the psyches of editors and writers. The Times, like most newspapers, does without the serial comma. At The New Yorker, it is a copy editor’s duty to deploy the serial comma, along with lots of other lip-smacking bits of punctuation, as a bulwark against barbarianism.

While advocates of the serial comma are happy for the truck drivers’ victory, it was actually the lack of said comma that won the day. Here are the facts of the case, for those who may have been pinned under a semicolon. According to Maine state law, workers are not entitled to overtime pay for the following activities: “The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of: (1) Agricultural produce; (2) Meat and fish products; and (3) Perishable foods.”

The issue is that, without a comma after “shipment,” the “packing for shipment or distribution” is a single activity. Truck drivers do not pack food, either for shipment or for distribution; they drive trucks and deliver it. Therefore, these exemptions do not apply to drivers, and Oakhurst Dairy owes them some ten million dollars.

Losing a case for lack of a comma.
I live in Maine, we all know Oakhurst, and I'm delighted with this case, since I teach people where to put their commas.
Commas matter!

When you are listing a series and some of that series includes phrases using a conjunction, you should separate each item with semicolons. That way, there is no question.

Very stupid but I guess that's why gawd made lawyers :dunno:
It wasn't stupid. The lack of the comma changed the meaning of the phrase. Anyone who knows where to put one would question the meaning of that.

It wasn't stupid. The lack of the comma changed the meaning of the phrase. Anyone who knows where to put one would question the meaning of that.
But they knew what it was. Stuff being packaged for shipment is the same as being packaged for distribution. In that context, they mean the same thing. People get away with murder and rape over bullshit technical issues like this.
While i understand the laws should be written in our language correctly, this is just people raping our judicial system.
I also think the law itself is stupid. But my opinion doesn't mean crap.
I heard something about mechanics have some kind of law like this that keeps them from making overtime. STUPID

But they knew what it was. Stuff being packaged for shipment is the same as being packaged for distribution. In that context, they mean the same thing. People get away with murder and rape over bullshit technical issues like this.
While i understand the laws should be written in our language correctly, this is just people raping our judicial system.
I heard something about mechanics have some kind of law like this that keeps them from making overtime. STUPID
You related to the owners of Oakhurst Dairy or something? The laws about perishable foods make sense to me. But the delivery drivers are clearly not intended to be part of that. By then, the rush to beat the food rotting is over.

Glad to see truck drivers win once in awhile; they're one of the most abused categories of labor around by employers, exempt from Federal overtime laws and other labor laws. The trucking industry is a sweatshop on wheels. Long haul trucking is especially abusive. Work 100+ hours a week, get paid for maybe 40, if they're lucky.

Glad to see truck drivers win once in awhile; they're one of the most abused categories of labor around by employers, exempt from Federal overtime laws and other labor laws. The trucking industry is a sweatshop on wheels. Long haul trucking is especially abusive.
They choose it though, Picaro. Some wouldn't trade it.

Glad to see truck drivers win once in awhile; they're one of the most abused categories of labor around by employers, exempt from Federal overtime laws and other labor laws. The trucking industry is a sweatshop on wheels. Long haul trucking is especially abusive.
They choose it though, Picaro. Some wouldn't trade it.

Apparently not for long, as evidenced by the turn-over rates. There are some good jobs out there driving, but not many; not all companies are run by sociopaths and people who think having a company is a license to steal and screw over everybody else. If your 'choices' are no job at all or 20 hours a week at a burger joint, then yes many will choose trucking, as will those who live in rural areas choose a job that doesn't require them to live in a tent under a bridge in LA.

You related to the owners of Oakhurst Dairy or something? The laws about perishable foods make sense to me. But the delivery drivers are clearly not intended to be part of that. By then, the rush to beat the food rotting is over.
Well, you certainly just made a good point!
Im still not 100% on board, though. I just don't buy that reasoning. Like I said, they even have laws like that for mechanics.
IDK

Im still not 100% on board, though. I just don't buy that reasoning. Like I said, they even have laws like that for mechanics.
IDK
I didn't know that about mechanics. I guess some jobs aren't really conducive to an eight hour shift. Considering what a garage charges for them per hour, I'm having a hard time working up a lot of sympathy, though.

IDK
I didn't know that about mechanics. I guess some jobs aren't really conducive to an eight hour shift. Considering what a garage charges for them per hour, I'm having a hard time working up a lot of sympathy, though.
They don't get paid that shit. A mechanic shop charges 35 an hour, and they get 15 an hour. Where do you think mechanic shops make their money? lol
I know a few mechanics that make around 14 an hour and work an average of probably 55 hours a week.

IDK
They don't get paid that shit. A mechanic shop charges 35 an hour, and they get 15 an hour. Where do you think mechanic shops make their money? lol
I know a few mechanics that make around 14 an hour and work an average of probably 55 hours a week.
Hard work, important job. Many have to invest in their own tools, as well, and they are really expensive. I'm surprised they make so little.

IDK
Hard work, important job. Many have to invest in their own tools, as well, and they are really expensive. I'm surprised they make so little.
If you own your own tools you would make more. I know this guy that works at a small used car dealership. But he is trained and has a 5K dollar computer and some 5K software and all the tools he could need. I think he makes like 25 an hour.

IDK

Indeed. A couple of friends of mine work at auto dealerships; they're lucky if they only spend around $25K a year on tools; many years they spend up to$35K, when the company send many new models down the assembly lines.

Forum List

Back