a few questions for all the folks in here who support a gov't-mandated minimum wage..

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
1. What do you think the minimum wage should be...?

2. How did you derive this number...?

3. Where will employers come up with the over-and-above extra money to pay for work that benefits them less than the money they're having to pay...?

4. What exactly do you expect such a minimum wage to accomplish for the persons receiving it...?

1. Equal pay for equal work. The pay is dictated by the quality of the work, not by the worker's demands. Minimum wage should be abolished.

2. There will be no set number.

3. In this system, employers would be more apt to hire quality workers over cheap laborers from across the border. There would be no need for extra money, allowing the employer to set the wage based on quality of workmanship would mean more money for them to spend on healthcare plans.

4. It would benefit workers, and also compel workers to do their best. Better work means better pay.

3. Where will employers come up with the over-and-above extra money to pay for work that benefits them less than the money they're having to pay...?

4. What exactly do you expect such a minimum wage to accomplish for the persons receiving it...?

Not being an economist, I can only speculate, so here goes.

1. I believe the minimum wage should be $8.00 (hell, what do I know?) Again, I don't really understand the way these things are figured.

2. I came by this number because the current number of $7.25 should be raised o fit the current economic conditions. The economy is barely limping along; raising it any higher would likely result in a loss of jobs - but again, that's just my guess.

3. Ah, therein lies the rub. With the economy suffering through the worst growth in nearly 50 years - to raise it any higher could have a detrimental effect on growth. Considering that there are hundreds of thousands of "minimum wage jobs" out there, firings would probably follow. You CAN NOT raise the cost of a Big Mac but you can FIRE some of your employees.

4. A minimum wage is nothing more than a "starting point" that was originally intended to give teenagers and college students a better income to begin their "working lives" with. I know of absolutely no one who envisions themselves working their entire life at minimum wage. Now, on the other hand, it seems to be reserved for those illegals who are waiting to receive "amnesty". Once made-legal, they will begin to take these jobs in earnest and begin demanding that they be paid more. No more "slave wages" for Pedro.

There are precious few jobs right now and 90% of new jobs are part-time. Enjoy being a teenager looking for your first summer job and it's given to Paco or Juanita. Trust me - it's coming.

Last edited:
National Average, United States Cost of Living

http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/12009

If we look to see how much it costs for the average person/family to to live without consideration for retirement savings we can come up with a some numbers that we can use to begin the conversation.

Based on the information above, a single person with no kids in Floruda needs $19,000 per year to have a basic standard of living. Given a 50 week work year....that equates to $9.5 per hour. This person can exist but cannot save for his or her future at this rate.

Now...since most people engage in relationships that result in families being created....and we all sort of agree that families are good things, we must consider the additional cost of living for those with kids.

If a couple has a child and one parent is to remain home to raise this child, the yearly wages needed by the working parent understandably doubles. Therefore, he or she will need to earn $19 per hour to provide a basic standard of living sans retirement savings or investments.

There are tons of variables and what ifs......what if both parents work? Well, them you need to consider costs for childcare. Etc.....etc....etc. Shouldn't people be able to save for retirement or have some investment funds? That is why we hire representatives at the local, state and federal level. They are supposed to work this shit out while being well intentioned.

Your third question.....how will employers do it? They will do it because more people in this country will have funds needed to buy basic goods and services......fueling the economy....generating business for them.

Last question.......kind of ridiculous. Sorry.

And....let me say, on behalf of everyone, how wonderful it is that TK decided to weigh in here. An unemployed teat-sucker with a desire to abolish the minimum wage so it will compel people to work harder. It does not get any better than that.

Last edited:

In a perfect world, I guess I'd like to see no minimum wage. But we're not within light years of a perfect world.

The fact is, we have essentially created a zombie class in the country - millions of people who have been victimized by the long term, non-stop lowering of standards across the board. We've worried far more about their "feelings" and their "self esteem" than we have in maintaining solid, cultural expectations. So now, here they are, the chickens have come home to roost:

Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

The question is, what do we do with this large swath of zombies, these "confident idiots"? We either put them on the public dole or we ALL have to support them to some degree by forcing businesses to employ them and pay them enough. Unfortunately for American business, the quickest and easiest way to do that is to at LEAST expect these people to freakin' WORK, and the businesses simply have to bear the brunt. This is why the Left so passionately rallied around Obama's astonishing "you didn't build that" speech. Business owners "didn't build that", so they don't own that, so we can pile on more and more expectations whether they like it or not. Tough shit, you're greedy and evil, pay the zombies.

This is just another obvious symptom of our decay. The expectations on businesses will continue to increase while the expectations of children and parents will continue to decrease. Hence the rise of the zombie class.

It is what it is, gang.

Last edited:

1. Minimum wage should be a personal decision. It should be the minimum wage you are willing to accept for your labor.

2. Again, this depends on each individual. Whether you are single, have a family, what your expenses are, how much expendable cash you want, etc.

3. This won't be an issue because employers offer what they believe a job is worth to their business. It's already in the business plan.

4. People will be earning the money they need. As they gain more experience in their jobs they will receive promotions and pay increases.

1. Minimum wage should be a personal decision. It should be the minimum wage you are willing to accept for your labor.

2. Again, this depends on each individual. Whether you are single, have a family, what your expenses are, how much expendable cash you want, etc.

3. This won't be an issue because employers offer what they believe a job is worth to their business. It's already in the business plan.

4. People will be earning the money they need. As they gain more experience in their jobs they will receive promotions and pay increases.

Wow! What an astonishing lack of a clue!!! People are forced to accept super low wages because THEY HAVE NO CHOICE. It's not a personal decision, geez, what a fucking retard you are.

In a perfect world, I guess I'd like to see no minimum wage. But we're not within light years of a perfect world.

The fact is, we have essentially created a zombie class in the country - millions of people who have been victimized by the long term, non-stop lowering of standards across the board. We've worried far more about their "feelings" and their "self esteem" than we have in maintaining solid, cultural expectations. So now, here they are, the chickens have come home to roost:

Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

The question is, what do we do with this large swath of zombies, these "confident idiots"? We either put them on the public dole or we ALL have to support them to some degree. Unfortunately for American business, the quickest and easiest way to do that is to at LEAST expect these people to freakin' WORK, and the businesses simply have to bear the brunt. This is why the Left so passionately rallied around Obama's astonishing "you didn't build that" speech. Business owners "didn't build that", so they don't own that, so we can pile on more and more expectations whether they like it or not. Tough shit, you're greedy and evil, pay the zombies.

This is just another obvious symptom of our decay. The expectations on businesses will continue to increase while the expectations of children and parents will continue to decrease. Hence the rise of the zombie class.

It is what it is, gang.

Get off of my lawn ya rotten kids!

Kids today are equal to or greater than kids who grew up in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They work just as hard and have just as much potential. You might want to volunteer some time with them. You will most certainly have a change of heart.

The president never said business owners did not build their businesses. Only a proud liar would continue to blather on about that out-of-context GOP campaign attack.

Last edited:

Wow! What an astonishing lack of a clue!!! People are forced to accept super low wages because THEY HAVE NO CHOICE. It's not a personal decision, geez, what a fucking retard you are.

From your language, I won't expect a civil, mature response, but I'm curious:

So people are forced to work for a specific employer? They "have no choice"?

And people are incapable of sacrificing, practicing a little discipline and effort to improve their skills and make them more valuable in job market? They're forced by someone to not improve their own lives? They "have no choice"?

I wasn't aware that there was this much coercion going on. Learn something new every day, I guess.

the prezbo says 10.10 per hour lifts one out of poverty

making them still the lowest paid workers

Minimum hourly wage ought to be 1/40th of what it takes for a single person to live without needing WELFARE to get by.

Realistically MW ought to be different in different regions based on cost if living.

How will it be paid for?

Exactly the same way that the wealthy achieve great wealth...by costing it out of the gross receipts.

And people are incapable of sacrificing, practicing a little discipline and effort to improve their skills and make them more valuable in job market? They're forced by someone to not improve their own lives? They "have no choice"?

I wasn't aware that there was this much coercion going on. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Good thing I showed up. :D

I never said that people have to work for a specific employer, you made that up. Nor did I say that they're forced not to improve their lives. You should maybe start with something simpler to understand, like a Cat in the Hat book, and see if you can get all the way though it.

People are forced to take low paying jobs because that's all that's available to a lot of people. And some of these jobs pay so low that employees have to resort to food stamps and the like. So our taxes are helping Walmart, for example, make more money by keeping people at poverty wages and getting the government to foot some of the bill through social programs.

Minimum wage should go up to $12 spread over the next three years. This would put it on par with what it was 30 years ago before Republicans started holding it down

Employers will come up with it he same way they come up with it for any other increase in the cost of doing business.Minor Price adjustments, increased efficiencies

The persons receiving it will be able to pay for college, buy a car, help support their families and get started in life

From then on minimum wage should be tied to a cost of living factor without having to beg Congress for every nickel increase

Last edited:

Well, I'm nearly 62 years old and I've lived my life this way.

I'm not rich but my wife and I do pretty well.

Minimum wage has not kept pace with inflation. That means that employers have been steadily increasing what they charge for goods and services but the cost of what they pay their workers has stagnated

I never said that people have to work for a specific employer, you made that up. Nor did I say that they're forced not to improve their lives. You should maybe start with something simpler to understand, like a Cat in the Hat book, and see if you can get all the way though it.

People are forced to take low paying jobs because that's all that's available to a lot of people. And some of these jobs pay so low that employees have to resort to food stamps and the like. So our taxes are helping Walmart, for example, make more money by keeping people at poverty wages and getting the government to foot some of the bill through social programs.

First, Wal-Mart has very few if any workers at minimum wage.

Second, a person doesn't have to resort to food stamps, they can get a second job.

First, Wal-Mart has very few if any workers at minimum wage.

Second, a person doesn't have to resort to food stamps, they can get a second job.

One person can get a second job. Where are the jobs for 40 million people on food stamps to get second jobs?

Minimum wage should go up to $12 spread over the next three years. This would put it on par with what it was 30 years ago before Republicans started holding it down

Employers will come up with it he same way they come up with it for any other increase in the cost of doing business.Minor Price adjustments, increased efficiencies

The persons receiving it will be able to pay for college, buy a car, help support their families and get started in life

From then on minimum wage should be tied to a cost of living factor without having to beg Congress for every nickel increase

So.. when you change the floor, other salaries, costs of goods, etc do not raise?? It is simply changing the numeric value of the floor... it does nothing to help poverty

It is the progressive scam of the ages

Forum List

Back