A few implications of VA's election results

If it weren't for the government tit sucking bureaucrats trying to protect their jobs, VA would be solidly red.
There are 136,377 federal workers in a state with 5,529,742 registered voters. That's 2.5% so I'm thinking you're a bit out of touch with reality.
You can multiply that by a factor of 5 when you look at the people that are dependent on those government tit sucking bureaucrats for their jobs. Retailers, restaurants and the like.
You could multiply it by 20 and it still wouldn't turn VA red. Face it, most people just don't share your values. Plain and simple.

:confused-84: A factor of 2 would have flipped the vote, the difference was only 232,631.

:confused-84: A factor of 2 would have flipped the vote, the difference was only 232,631.
You shouldn't assume every gov't worker is blue. A large number are ex-military and all I know want what is best for the country.

The first and foremost job of any bureaucrat it to insure the continued existence of the bureaucracy, everything else, like doing their job is secondary.

The first and foremost job of any bureaucrat it to insure the continued existence of the bureaucracy, everything else, like doing their job is secondary.
I'm sure you know more Feds down there near Magnolia, TX than I do here in VA so I'm sure your generalization is accurate.

I'm sure you know more Feds down there near Magnolia, TX than I do here in VA so I'm sure your generalization is accurate.

I was in the military for 21.5 years, I worked around and with all kinds of federal and State bureaucrats. Name one bureaucracy that requests congress reduce their appropriations or number of personnel.

However from what little I read, Northam did run a "boring" issues campaign that seemed a little left of center but mainly about good governance.
Governors only get a single term in VA so Northam is already a lame duck. It's no surprise the most VA voters don't follow state elections too closely. It was Trump that energized my family to vote, even my daughter who was not very political in past years.

Well they worked out well. He's getting a lot of golf in!

I was in the military for 21.5 years, I worked around and with all kinds of federal and State bureaucrats. Name one bureaucracy that requests congress reduce their appropriations or number of personnel.
So you worked for the gov't? Did you first and foremost consider your job was to insure the continued existence of the service, everything else, like doing your job being secondary?

In a different thread I wrote the following.

I don't live in VA, so I have little vested interest in their gubernatorial race. Moreover, I don't much care whether Democrats or Republicans hold sway. What I care about is that inveterate cads like Trump don't become POTUS. For me, the presidency and who holds it is all about character.

It's unfortunate that we were in 2016 called by the two major parties to choose between two individuals of varying degrees of dubious character. I know some people here will assert that Trump is of better character than Clinton, but I see no basis for that finding.
The sentiments I expressed remain mine; however, upon learning...
  • that Northam won the gubernatorial race,
  • that control of the VA House of Delegates is not only a plausible, but also has a decent change of happening,
  • that Danica Roem defeated 25-year incumbent and staunchy conservative Bob Marshall in the VA 13th District, a region that is not part of the D.C. suburbs (Some might call it part of the D.C. or Richmond exurbs, but doing so has more to do with geographical convenience than with cultural and political mindsets.), and
  • that voter turnout is up by some 700K people...
I cannot help but surmise that:
  • Trump's ability to inspire people to vote works both ways, as it were. That would seem to bode quite well for Democrats' prospects in 2018.
  • Providing lots of policy detail and specifics apparently isn't something voters demand of prospective elective office holders. I can't be entirely sure of that, however, because the Virginians whom I know well and with whom I discuss politics are like me in that they demand details about what a candidate aims to do and how they plan to achieve them. Be that as it may, if my supposition about the electorate's expectations of candidates is so, I suspect their having such a low bar will not bode well for anything or anyone, except perhaps for incompetents and "know nothings" who run for elective office.

Another far left race that was supposed to be a landslide that never happened!

Let us see VA was (D) before the election is (D) after the election.

Not much to be proud of there!

Nope it really looks like Blue Dog Democrats have made a comeback. Over these last 7 years we have the extreme far right--the too far left candidates- which competely left out the middle or moderates of both parties section aka (the majority in this country) and it looks like they may be the trend in 2018 -- 2020.

"The Blue Dog Coalition, a fading wing of the Democratic Caucus in recent years, is leaning on a controversial ally as it tries to regain a toehold on power in the House: President Donald Trump.

The group of moderate and conservative Democrats, which was all but wiped out when Republicans swept the House in 2010, has been slowly rebuilding its membership."

And with Democrats eager to woo the white working-class voters who flocked to Trump, the coalition is prodding party leaders to support Blue Dog-backed candidates, saying that’s the key to taking back the House in 2018. It’s a push that is quickly running into conflict with the party’s energized left flank.

“People want to purify,” Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), one of the Blue Dog’s three co-chairs, said about the Democratic base’s surge to the left. “[But] without Blue Dogs, we don’t have a majority. That’s the bottom line.”
Blue Dogs eye comeback in 2018

120416_bluedogs_wuerker_328.jpg

Blue Dog Democrats will attract moderate Republicans--and you can now say bye-bye to the right and left wings of both parties. These are middle of the road politicians, which ruled this country since the 1930's up until the late 70's. They're conservative--hawkish--don't like Russians--and have a heart regarding the American people at the same time.

Last edited:

I don't live in VA, so I have little vested interest in their gubernatorial race. Moreover, I don't much care whether Democrats or Republicans hold sway. What I care about is that inveterate cads like Trump don't become POTUS. For me, the presidency and who holds it is all about character.

It's unfortunate that we were in 2016 called by the two major parties to choose between two individuals of varying degrees of dubious character. I know some people here will assert that Trump is of better character than Clinton, but I see no basis for that finding.
  • that control of the VA House of Delegates is not only a plausible, but also has a decent change of happening,
  • that Danica Roem defeated 25-year incumbent and staunchy conservative Bob Marshall in the VA 13th District, a region that is not part of the D.C. suburbs (Some might call it part of the D.C. or Richmond exurbs, but doing so has more to do with geographical convenience than with cultural and political mindsets.), and
  • Trump's ability to inspire people to vote works both ways, as it were. That would seem to bode quite well for Democrats' prospects in 2018.
  • Providing lots of policy detail and specifics apparently isn't something voters demand of prospective elective office holders. I can't be entirely sure of that, however, because the Virginians whom I know well and with whom I discuss politics are like me in that they demand details about what a candidate aims to do and how they plan to achieve them. Be that as it may, if my supposition about the electorate's expectations of candidates is so, I suspect their having such a low bar will not bode well for anything or anyone, except perhaps for incompetents and "know nothings" who run for elective office.

Except Northam had to adopt Teumps policy on illegal immigration. News ain’t reporting it to much, but protestors shut his victory speech down.

To me, the implications are "more of the same".

A party (in this case, the GOP), gets control and immediately proceeds to comically over-interpret its "mandate".

They go too far, and the other party (in this case, the Democrats) gets the momentum and comes roaring back.

A tale as old as time. Neither party learns anything. They're both too full of themselves.
The sad part is that it doesn't matter which one is in the majority they both have us on the wrong path. What is pitiful is that those voting think they can do something about it. First vote for a democrat, don't like what's happening then vote for a Republican. Rinse and repeat. Sad really when you think about it. The illusion of choice is disheartening.

The Dems benefitted from the repubs doing nothing. Trump has been golfing while his campaign promises go unfilled. Dems still need to change their message. Should be about the middle class. Not going to win big till they move from transgendered, illegal immigrants, and looking weak on crime.
I "get" what you're saying, and I agree in principle. In practice, however, the messages that both parties deliver are the ones to which the electorate most readily and most positively respond. Unfortunately, the electorate consistently responds to messages themed on fear and rejection of "this or that;" thus those are the types of messages that pervade political rhetoric. If/when the body politic simply refuses to vote for politicians who do not overwhelmingly offer messages of what they are going to do and how, rather than messages about the doom their opponent stands for and will effect, the nature of messages will not change.

If it weren't for the government tit sucking bureaucrats trying to protect their jobs, VA would be solidly red.
There are 136,377 federal workers in a state with 5,529,742 registered voters. That's 2.5% so I'm thinking you're a bit out of touch with reality.
You can multiply that by a factor of 5 when you look at the people that are dependent on those government tit sucking bureaucrats for their jobs. Retailers, restaurants and the like.
You could multiply it by 20 and it still wouldn't turn VA red. Face it, most people just don't share your values. Plain and simple.

"A factor of 2 would have flipped the vote, the difference was only 232,631."

Fascinating! Well, that kind of leads to another question:

Could Russian propaganda seen by 140 million people produce 70,000 Trump votes in 3 States?

Yes or no?

Last edited:

A party (in this case, the GOP), gets control and immediately proceeds to comically over-interpret its "mandate".

They go too far, and the other party (in this case, the Democrats) gets the momentum and comes roaring back.

A tale as old as time. Neither party learns anything. They're both too full of themselves.
The sad part is that it doesn't matter which one is in the majority they both have us on the wrong path. What is pitiful is that those voting think they can do something about it. First vote for a democrat, don't like what's happening then vote for a Republican. Rinse and repeat. Sad really when you think about it. The illusion of choice is disheartening.

What is very heartening out of the Virgina race--is that out of 12 state seats women won 11 of them. We need more women in government positions around the country--and all the way to the top. Right now 1000's of women are moving into politics and that's a good thing.

Another result of electing Donald Trump.

The president of Emily’s List rose to the podium at a recent New York fundraiser to make a proud announcement: More than 18,000 women had contacted the group since election day, looking to explore running for office — “an explosion,” she called it. Of course, they’re all Democrats. On the Republican side, there’s been no such explosion. While a tide of anti-Trump activism has led thousands of Democratic women to consider runs for office, their Republican counterparts are where they were before the 2016 election — with little chance of improving their representation.
Trump fired up female candidacies — but only for one party

Like I have stated repeatedly a "sleeping giant has been awoken."

170121211838-28-womens-march-dc-exlarge-169.jpg

Women's march the day after Trump was inaugurated. This is in Washington D.C. but it was going on in every state, for more pictures go to this link.
Woman's march pictures

Democrats lost almost every important election in the last six years but the northern radicals managed to hang on to the Virginia governor and the close governor race in 2017. If Virginia democrats want celebrate a victory it's fine as long as it keeps them off the streets and smashing windows and torching cars.

Virginia will be sorry when they see the rest of the nation besides California Illinois, NY kick ass and take advantage of the new Trump economy...Reap what you sow...Too bad for you......suckers!!!!

:lol:

Whatever you've got to tell yourself.

Virginia was a clear referendum on the Comrade.The treasonous GOP should be very afraid for 2018. If the Dems t as take back the House, the investigationw they will launch against the Orange Clown will make the Hillary witch hunts look like a garden party.

The message from Dems to)the GOP,

EMBRACE TRUMP, PLEASE EMBRACE TRUMP!

Another far left race that was supposed to be a landslide that never happened!

Let us see VA was (D) before the election is (D) after the election.

Not much to be proud of there!

Democrats won the Governorship by 9 points which is virtually a landslide in the state. Much worse than Trump's 5 point loss. Also the Democrats picked 15 seats in the House of Delegates, cutting the super majority Republicans had from 66-34 to at worse 51-49 with 5 Republican seats still too close to call.

What is very heartening out of the Virgina race--is that out of 12 state seats women won 11 of them. We need more women in government positions around the country--and all the way to the top. Right now 1000's of women are moving into politics and that's a good thing.

Another result of electing Donald Trump.

The president of Emily’s List rose to the podium at a recent New York fundraiser to make a proud announcement: More than 18,000 women had contacted the group since election day, looking to explore running for office — “an explosion,” she called it. Of course, they’re all Democrats. On the Republican side, there’s been no such explosion. While a tide of anti-Trump activism has led thousands of Democratic women to consider runs for office, their Republican counterparts are where they were before the 2016 election — with little chance of improving their representation.
Trump fired up female candidacies — but only for one party

Like I have stated repeatedly a "sleeping giant has been awoken."

170121211838-28-womens-march-dc-exlarge-169.jpg

Women's march the day after Trump was inaugurated. This is in Washington D.C. but it was going on in every state, for more pictures go to this link.
Woman's march pictures
Danny isn’t a woman, idiot.

Virginia will be sorry when they see the rest of the nation besides California Illinois, NY kick ass and take advantage of the new Trump economy...Reap what you sow...Too bad for you......suckers!!!!

Virginia was a clear referendum on the Comrade.The treasonous GOP should be very afraid for 2018. If the Dems t as take back the House, the investigationw they will launch against the Orange Clown will make the Hillary witch hunts look like a garden party.

PLEASE TRY TO IMPEACH TRUMP!

PLEASE TRY TO IMPEACH TRUMP!

Why? What are you going to do about it, if the Republicams impeach?

What suggests a wave is how Democrats won overwhelmingly despite running a bag of mulch for Governor in Virginia.
Well, if that's what one thinks, one'd have to address the probability of a follow-on inference of your proposition, that of the Democrats having not ignored and instead applied the lessons taught by the GOP and Donald Trump. While heeding those lessons may yield gains for the Democrats on a party level and in terms of legislative and executive control, for average individuals it means we are in for a long spate of "races to the bottom." I'm sorry, but I don't see how that is a good thing for any "average" American.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing with you; I'm saying there's likely notably more to it than just that. In fairness, I haven't paid any attention to the specifics about any VA candidate's policy positions or character. Thus, I cannot speak to whether Northam is indeed and predominantly a "bag of much." To the best of recollection, I've never even crossed paths with him at so much as a cocktail party or horserace.

As the federal government grows, the more Blue VA becomes. It's just that simple, it's the only "southern" state Trump didn't carry.

It is a lot more than that. NC and Florida are swing states as well. These are states in which the suburbs are growing and rural areas are shrinking. SC and Georgia are seeing that as well. They are still red states but they are not as red as states like Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas which rank at the bottom for per capita income. Also Democrats did well in suburban areas of Pennsylvania in local elections.

Forum List

Back