A Country Where Politicians "Do God"

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
As contrasted to Great Britian.

A Country Where Politicians 'Do God'
By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe
December 5, 2007

It was on Sunday that the Romney campaign announced the forthcoming speech, saying the candidate would discuss how his "own faith would inform his presidency if he were elected." On the same day in Britain, as it happened, the BBC broadcast an interview with former prime minister Tony Blair, who said that his Christian faith had been "hugely important" to him during his 10 years in power - but that he had felt constrained to keep it a secret for fear of being thought a crackpot.

"It's difficult to talk about religious faith in our political system," Blair said. "If you are in the American political system . . . you can talk about religious faith and people say, 'Yes, that's fair enough,' and it is something they respond to quite naturally. You talk about it in our system and, frankly, people do think you're a nutter."

Apparently that was more than Blair was willing to risk. The fear of being thought ridiculous was why his press secretary had snapped, "We don't do God," when an American reporter asked the prime minister about his religious views in 2003. It was why Blair's advisers vehemently protested when he wanted to end a televised speech on the eve of the Iraq war with the words "God bless you."

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...007/12/05/a_country_where_politicians_do_god/

And that's a good thing?

Seems to me that wanting our president to be a religious leader is way silly.

No one said they want a "religious" leader. Further the record clearly indicates Romney will not lead from a pulpit. It is a comfort for a lot of people to believe their leaders at least believe in God.

Everyone knew Tony Blair was religious but as long as he didn't wear it like a badge I don't think anyone was fussed. The Brits are a bit like us in that way. It doesn't matter what your religion is, if you're a politician, just as long as you let your intellect guide you and don't declaim that a god is guiding your decisions. That will see you get the boot immediately if not sooner.

Hey, I thought the Iranians were the good guys?

There is just a wee bit of middle ground between not wanting to invade/bomb someone, and thinking they are the "good guys". I suspect Shogun stands somewhere on the massively sized middle ground.

There is just a wee bit of middle ground between not wanting to invade/bomb someone, and thinking they are the "good guys". I suspect Shogun stands somewhere on the massively sized middle ground.

Damn, I thought he could stand up for himself, but thanks for that clarification, which wasn't.

Hey, I thought the Iranians were the good guys?

I guess that is what you get for thinking, eh?

SNAP!

I'm pointing out how ironic it is Iran is on the same side of the conservative spectrum as our own little fundies. So, Iran is about as much the "good guys" as your side is in American politics.

You mean kind of like you understood that the the article was not talking about a "religious leader;" rather a leader who is religious in his private life?;)

But they aren't religious only in their private lives. They feel the need to impose their beliefs on those of us who don't share them.

You saying that's not true?

I find it scary that only 45 years ago, a presidential candidate had to promise that he'd put this country before his Pope and now the right seems to only want someone who puts his religion first.

I have no issues with someone having belief, as you know, it's when that belief ends up resulting in a president saying "G-d told me to invade Iraq", that I have issues. And religious belief doesn't belong in legislating social policy...particularly when most of us figure if you have certain beliefs, live by them, just keep them away from us.

And yes, it's clear that the religious right wants the president to be their religious and moral leader as well.. .it's just a shame that "morality" doesn't extend to doing good in the world.

But to get back to the point to which you were responding, yes, she understood exactly what Larkinn was saying. ;)

But they aren't religious only in their private lives. They feel the need to impose their beliefs on those of us who don't share them.

Oh, you mean like the East and West Coast liberals and the MSM that try to impose their beliefs on those of us who don't think like they do?

Oh, you mean like the East and West Coast liberals and the MSM that try to impose their beliefs on those of us who don't think like they do?

yea I know... teaching evolution in public schools is just like holding your neck underwater until you admit to loving darwin.

:eusa_whistle:

1189627058860.jpg

Liberal political agenda.... how to make things worse and pretend your helping... anyone got a picture of a crack baby we can add this saying to?

*yawn*

We were talking about religion and politics, dude. Who brought up the crack baby?

Maybe you'd like to admit that it's not the leftys sinking Romney's presidential chances so much as it is the RIGHT WINGER EVANGELICALS....

naaaa... team jersey, right?

*yawn*

We were talking about religion and politics, dude. Who brought up the crack baby?

Maybe you'd like to admit that it's not the leftys sinking Romney's presidential chances so much as it is the RIGHT WINGER EVANGELICALS....

naaaa... team jersey, right?

Liberalism is just like religion, it has its faithful followers so blind by dogma and creed they are unable to be reasoned with.

You are showing how ignorant you are by stating as much. But hey, I'm not the one who would rather ignore the condemnation of right wing christians while hoping they let my faith sit at the adult table just to talk shit on leftys who have absolutely NOTHING to do with Romneys sinking ship...

it must suck to be that desperate for religious validation. Go ahead, insist that secularism is a religion. It's not lost on my kind why flat earthers would HAVE to insist that heliocentrism relies on faith alone.

:thup:

but do lecture me on who is blind enough to run screaming away from reason while dodging the FACT of your cult status in the eyes of your fellow christians.

You are showing how ignorant you are by stating as much. But hey, I'm not the one who would rather ignore the condemnation of right wing christians while hoping they let my faith sit at the adult table just to talk shit on leftys who have absolutely NOTHING to do with Romneys sinking ship...

it must suck to be that desperate for religious validation. Go ahead, insist that secularism is a religion. It's not lost on my kind why flat earthers would HAVE to insist that heliocentrism relies on faith alone.

:thup:

but do lecture me on who is blind enough to run screaming away from reason while dodging the FACT of your cult status in the eyes of your fellow christians.

Which has ZERO to do with what I said and what YOU said. YOU attacked all religion with your ignorant picture and comment. You did so not because MY religion is considered a cult by some, but because you are an idiot.

Your to stupid to understand that for faithful people PRAYER in fact DOES help, in many ways. Does it help the unfaithful? Not as likely. Just as a doctor can not talk sense to a person that does not believe in psychoanalysis.

Prayer can though help in many ways and not all just in the thoughts of others but in direct actions taken because of prayer that convinced faithful people to ACT.

Do keep spouting your ignorance, it is fun to laugh at you. I know that is wrong but it does give me a small bit of pleasure.

Forum List

Back