Atheism's Wrong Turn II

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by midcan5, Dec 7, 2007.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    This is worth sharing

The New Republic

Atheism's Wrong Turn by Damon Linker

"Today's bellicose atheists are part of the second tradition. And it is not surprising that they have found a sizeable audience for their contemporary repackaging of centuries-old ideas. To liberals frightened by the faith-based conservatism of George Bush or the theistic fanaticism of Osama bin Laden--or both--the feisty language of Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and Hitchens sounds refreshing, apt, and bold. But the intellectual lineage to which these authors belong should in fact give liberals pause. Among other problems, it isn't a liberal tradition at all."

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=5348120e-dea8-4733-8e56-a055d46299d0

2. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    "the cult of reason"

that's just, uh, beautiful.

A handful of atheists hardly equals generations of fundy christians. If it chafes not to burn us at the stake these days such is the price of keeping this nation from turning into another round of Salem. Atheism and Liberalism is not mutually exclusive any more than is theism and conservatism. Making such assumptions speaks volumes.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    An elegantly written article, it's refreshing to read an article written by someone who can not only think clearly but can also express those thoughts in clear prose.

As for the content. I'm not a believer but the more bellicose atheists tend to get up my nose. I find it difficult to understand the motivation of someone who doesn't believe in trying to force that view, even to the point of forced conversion, on others. Live and let believe works for me, I just don't want to be affected by someone else's religious beliefs, that's all I ask.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. cranston36

cranston36 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Atheism is the religion of the do-nothing.

5. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It's not a religion.

6. cranston36

cranston36 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    atheism
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

religion :
    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

- that contains 'esp.' but not 'specifically' as any moral agent will state. In order to be an atheist requires a morality that leads to one functioning set of laws that the individual accedes as true or follows in spite of all else - that last part covers atheist criminals and sociopaths, but the way

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

+++

If you want to argue the point which is 'Atheism's Wrong Turn' then argue from that point. Denying the existence of atheism in a discussion about its paths in recent history is not a position - it is just argumentative and misleading.

...besides, I know it is but what am I?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Well that's the end of that then :lol:

8. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    The change the name game. Let's call ourselves Brights. "Think about your own worldview to decide if it is free of supernatural or mystical deities, forces, and entities. If you decide that you fit the description above, then you are, by definition, a bright!"

http://www.the-brights.net/

Funny but it hasn't caught on much.

"Words are all we have." Samuel Beckett

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Don't you love it when you can have such an in depth conversation about serious topics? :badgrin:

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Nothign bright about absolute denial of of something that easily could exist. What should call yourselves are "Supreme Arrogants" since you believe Man is supreme. Or you could call yourselves "Superior Jackasses" since you seem to think you are intellectually superior to others; when, in fact, I haven't seen any evidence to support the claim.