A Cattle Call Section Instead of Being on Repeated @Lists

I dunno, it sounds a bit like complaining about what's on the radio instead of just taking the initiative to change the station. If you get @ messages that don't interest you -- then hell, just don't be interested. I see threads that don't interest me -- I move on. If there are certain members who are @ing you all the time on that basis, then just tell them to knock it off. Not sure why the whole site has to get involved just because you get notices you don't want. Especially since you seem to want the site to make its systems more complex than they are. At some point you have to take responsibility for yourself, no?

Btw I have Gmail and I don't get mulitiple Inboxes, just the one. As far as I know. :dunno: But even if you had that channeling on the Sender's end, it's still their option and they could still misuse it.

Last edited:
I guess this concern of mine will have to wait until its time has come.

Shelve it until everyone agrees it is needed.

This is the curse of the visionary.

Slightly ahead of his time.

I found a USMB Tag list and posted it.

I know many won't find this interesting, but I didn't know who was who. If you're one of the uninterested ones?

Sorry to have bothered you. You can now return to your usual USMB experience. :)

"One of these kids is not like the others." All of what you all are going on about predates me by a very long shot, and nobody has ever filled me in on the particulars (thanks be to all that's holy.)

Thanks BDBoop. I always stood up when others were after you. I know it's easy to go with such a flow and I was holidaying for a full year at that time. Still it wasn't a perma holiday like the time before or before or...

Yeah, it's okay when you do it once because you are politically on my side. But what about all the others who want to try out this function for their pet peeves?

Copied to my thread suggesting a change from this system to one which would make everyone happy except the little Pogo who seems to like being mentioned alot.

:(
[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION] [MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION] [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION]

Last edited:
When I get a mention, I just click on it now and see where it is originating from. Sometimes I click to see what is going on..sometimes I don't bother. Most that are multiple are those who are quoting the OP where the list is.

It is an excellent feature that stimulates worthwhile discussion. :smiliehug:

Maybe a function that can toggle off being mentioned would be the perfect remedy? As it is right now there's no real problem with it, and it's nowhere like a mass PM.

The past few days I've been called to a few threads due to my being included on a couple of membership lists which I had no personal affiliation with or interest in.

And when you get a mention, you mean to tell me you don't look to see what the mention was all about?

If I were to stage a real life example of what it is you would immediately understand my feelings.

Feel free to stage a real world example, I will do the same thing I do when I get a mention I don't want to pay attention to, walk away.

When I get a mention, I just click on it now and see where it is originating from. Sometimes I click to see what is going on..sometimes I don't bother. Most that are multiple are those who are quoting the OP where the list is.

What I don't get is why some, as is your case, get multiple invites, and others, like me, only get the one. Same thread, same list.

I would be terribly annoyed if I were in your shoes.

I don't mind being mentioned. This just isn't a big deal to me. Sorry Mojo.

I can help illustrate the offending dynamic.

Starting tonite.

Until you come to recognize my irritation.

I have a low tolerance for being called of nonsense.

Like a telephone solicitor some people don't mind but who others just won't tolerate.

The issue is NOT that a little irritation bothers me and it takes a lot for you to be bothered, it's that everyone has a different threshold and the question is raised: Should USMB address this issue now or wait until later?

The consensus would probably say, "wait til later."

If at all.

I get it.

But I want you all to really feel where I'm coming from so i will try to help in that regard.

It is an excellent feature that stimulates worthwhile discussion. :smiliehug:

Maybe a function that can toggle off being mentioned would be the perfect remedy? As it is right now there's no real problem with it, and it's nowhere like a mass PM.

The past few days I've been called to a few threads due to my being included on a couple of membership lists which I had no personal affiliation with or interest in.

And when you get a mention, you mean to tell me you don't look to see what the mention was all about?

If I were to stage a real life example of what it is you would immediately understand my feelings.

Feel free to stage a real world example, I will do the same thing I do when I get a mention I don't want to pay attention to, walk away.

It's what I do, too.

But why should you be bothered by it, to whatever degree you are, at all???

Does someone else have the right to bother you with bullshit you KNOW you aren't interested in?

Why do people get unlisted phone numbers?

Why is there an on/off 'ringer' switch on telephones?

The recipient or the target should have some rights, too!

I know many won't find this interesting, but I didn't know who was who. If you're one of the uninterested ones?

Sorry to have bothered you. You can now return to your usual USMB experience. :)

"One of these kids is not like the others." All of what you all are going on about predates me by a very long shot, and nobody has ever filled me in on the particulars (thanks be to all that's holy.)

Thanks BDBoop. I always stood up when others were after you. I know it's easy to go with such a flow and I was holidaying for a full year at that time. Still it wasn't a perma holiday like the time before or before or...

Yeah, it's okay when you do it once because you are politically on my side. But what about all the others who want to try out this function for their pet peeves?

Copied to my thread suggesting a change from this system to one which would make everyone happy except the little Pogo who seems to like being mentioned alot.

[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION] [MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION] [MENTION=32558]Luddly Neddite[/MENTION]

Bizarre thought. I've looked at my notifications I think twice ever, the second time being today when I got bored. There's about fifty sitting there and if they suddenly disappeared tomorrow they'd be doing me a favor. If I even noticed.

What Luddly said -- just because the phone rings doesn't mean you have to drop everything and follow them like a puppy.

Sorry, just can't get worked up about technology beckoning. If I did I'd be on Facetwit.
snore.gif

Actually Mojo -- since you called me in ----- :badgrin:

I've already weighed in --- probably pages ago. And I'm kinda on your side here. Because I believe it WILL be a future problem. This feature is really useful for folks who want responses to EXISTING posts,for letting people know that they are being discussed, or simply that you are back on-line or any number of LEGIT reasons. The reason that modifying it isn't getting traction right now -- seems to be that most folks are not using it for targeted reasons. You can tell that by the number of mentions that get posted in people's public profiles is actually pretty low.

If folks start adopting it for reasons OTHER than cattle calls, then it's harder to ignore. Because the real users will be clogged up with invitations to threads..

The other problem, from a Moderator point of view, is that it's an infractible offense to mention a person that has put you on ignore. And folks doing cattle calls can end up with nastygrams from management if they don't prune their lists.

So ---- I still believe we should have a sticky or a sub-forum for announcing threads. And I believe that folks should be using the thread rating function to attract people to the GREAT threads. 2 alternatives for finding hot topics.

Anyway --- returning the favor [MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION] << :lol: >>

Actually Mojo -- since you called me in ----- :badgrin:

I've already weighed in --- probably pages ago. And I'm kinda on your side here. Because I believe it WILL be a future problem. This feature is really useful for folks who want responses to EXISTING posts,for letting people know that they are being discussed, or simply that you are back on-line or any number of LEGIT reasons. The reason that modifying it isn't getting traction right now -- seems to be that most folks are not using it for targeted reasons. You can tell that by the number of mentions that get posted in people's public profiles is actually pretty low.

If folks start adopting it for reasons OTHER than cattle calls, then it's harder to ignore. Because the real users will be clogged up with invitations to threads..

The other problem, from a Moderator point of view, is that it's an infractible offense to mention a person that has put you on ignore. And folks doing cattle calls can end up with nastygrams from management if they don't prune their lists.

So ---- I still believe we should have a sticky or a sub-forum for announcing threads. And I believe that folks should be using the thread rating function to attract people to the GREAT threads. 2 alternatives for finding hot topics.

Anyway --- returning the favor [MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION] << :lol: >>

Grumble... grumble...

I don't mind being mentioned. This just isn't a big deal to me. Sorry Mojo.

I can help illustrate the offending dynamic.

Starting tonite.

Until you come to recognize my irritation.

I have a low tolerance for being called of nonsense.

Like a telephone solicitor some people don't mind but who others just won't tolerate.

The issue is NOT that a little irritation bothers me and it takes a lot for you to be bothered, it's that everyone has a different threshold and the question is raised: Should USMB address this issue now or wait until later?

The consensus would probably say, "wait til later."

If at all.

I get it.

But I want you all to really feel where I'm coming from so i will try to help in that regard.

Tough

Fucking

Shit

It's what I do, too.

But why should you be bothered by it, to whatever degree you are, at all???

Does someone else have the right to bother you with bullshit you KNOW you aren't interested in?

Why do people get unlisted phone numbers?

Why is there an on/off 'ringer' switch on telephones?

The recipient or the target should have some rights, too!

Do I have a right not to be offended?

No.

When this was first implemented there were some bugs. I actually figured out then how to trun off the shit that was bugging me. If only other people had the same ability to figure out how to fix things instead of whinging like a 3 year old girl.

When this was first implemented there were some bugs. I actually figured out then how to trun off the shit that was bugging me. If only other people had the same ability to figure out how to fix things instead of whinging like a 3 year old girl.

If only!

And for your information, I "whing" like a grown up, TYVM!

I just have a thing about computer stuff.

If only!

Was I talking about you?

:eusa_whistle:

When they set it up we got a PM every time someone mentioned us, that was annoying. I still haven't turned some things back on as a result of that fiasco.

If only!

Was I talking about you?

:eusa_whistle:

When they set it up we got a PM every time someone mentioned us, that was annoying. I still haven't turned some things back on as a result of that fiasco.

:eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back