A case for polygamy

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

What would be the concerns in regards to this?

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)

Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)

I would say you need to stop mixing drugs and alcohol,,,

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be more subjectively productive and cost-effective to simply take on the role of the fictionalized version of Johnny Appleseed, spreading your seeds far and wide?

With the one on one marriage rate in decline amongst the most elegible of bachelors I doubt your scenario of successful men marrying more than one woman would play out.

Last edited:
Your reasoning is lacking logic, but by the same token there is no reason that polygamy should be illegal. It is just one more reason why the government should not be involved in marriage at all.

I can't think of a single reason why polygamy should be illegal. Makes a lot more sense than gay marriage.

I can't think of a single reason why polygamy should be illegal. Makes a lot more sense than gay marriage.

No, they make the same amount of sense. People that love each other in a committed relationship to each other. That can be people of the same sex and it can be more than 2 people

No, they make the same amount of sense. People that love each other in a committed relationship to each other. That can be people of the same sex and it can be more than 2 people
All that can be done without getting married...

True, it can.

Civil marriage is simply a contract between two people that comes with some perks from the government. There is no reason those should not be applied to same sex couples and groups of more than 2.

True, it can.

Civil marriage is simply a contract between two people that comes with some perks from the government. There is no reason those should not be applied to same sex couples and groups of more than 2.

Sure, if you want to completely disregard intent.

True, it can.

Marriage should be a religious thing only. If the church wants to marry two guys, a guy and five women, it should be up to them.

True, it can.

Sure, if you want to completely disregard intent.

The intent for social engineering? I would like to just do away with that. And for using our tax code for the same

polygamy was legalized by gay marriage but not incest. A lawyer at a bible study I went to mentioned the test case. it was about 3-6 months ago if memory serves

Forum List

Back