A case for polygamy

I can't think of a single reason why polygamy should be illegal. Makes a lot more sense than gay marriage.

No, they make the same amount of sense. People that love each other in a committed relationship to each other. That can be people of the same sex and it can be more than 2 people
All that can be done without getting married...

True, it can.

Civil marriage is simply a contract between two people that comes with some perks from the government. There is no reason those should not be applied to same sex couples and groups of more than 2.

Why should the govt give perks to unproductive, degenerate unions?

Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

What would be the concerns in regards to this?

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)

One concern would be women getting bored, and not only from the lack of nookie that results from being "married" to somebody who has many women he must "service" and encourage to breathe and push during childbirth, which he might have to do if he has more than one woman in labor at the same time, but also from the lack of emotional support. If a guy is "married" to more than one woman, what do you think the other women are going to do, sit around and play bridge? Women aren't just barnyard animals to be bred, you know.

Of course, we could talk about polyandry, to give women a range of options on any particular evening. If Fred is off the market for the evening, either John, Jesus, Trayvon, Liam, Shaquille, Leopold should be available.

I can't think of a single reason why polygamy should be illegal. Makes a lot more sense than gay marriage.

No, they make the same amount of sense. People that love each other in a committed relationship to each other. That can be people of the same sex and it can be more than 2 people

True, it can.

Civil marriage is simply a contract between two people that comes with some perks from the government. There is no reason those should not be applied to same sex couples and groups of more than 2.

So, any marriage without children should not get any perks since they are unproductive?

Simple. Women overwhelmingly choose to cut and run with half of their former spouses shit. They seldom stay single if they can help it. If that's not a testament to the reality of things; nothing is.

Women initiate divorces more because men cheat more. It is pretty simple.
That's extraordinarily debatable being generous, and averaging numerous polls it's closer to a tie. While recent studies of paternity have concluded that a third of men's children, arent of their own loins.

Link?
Trying to be quick about it... I could only find this slightly older study which pegs it at 25 percent. But the recent one I just recently read moved to up to a third...

Surprise! 1-in-25 Dads Not the Real Father | Live Science
Here’s the article I was initially referencing...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...y-fraud/8095d588-76ed-498d-800d-c443ba378271/

“They point to studies by groups such as the American Association of Blood Banks, which found in 1999 that nearly 30 percent of 280,000 paternity cases evaluated excluded the alleged father as the biological parent.”
Capitalism at work.

True, it can.

So, any marriage without children should not get any perks since they are unproductive?

Nice try. Look up the term intent.

True, it can.

Sounds like a good idea.

Hypothetically, if polygamy was legalized, this would mean that the top 1% of of males (e.x. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg) could marry multiple women, and potentially father more children.

This might help to reduce poverty and low education, by encouraging women not to marry "average men", but compete to marry the top 1% of men. (It might also encourage "average men" to become more personally productive, knowing that their wife could leave them for a better option, such as Warren Buffet).

(Of course, I don't expect this to actually happen, but hypothetically speaking...)

when you aren't discussing how much fun you would have murdering people who don't deserve to be killed you occasionally come up with something that isn't a complete waste of time.

you might be on to something.

when you aren't discussing how much fun you would have murdering people who don't deserve to be killed you occasionally come up with something that isn't a complete waste of time.

you might be on to something.
Murdering who?

The only reason why government entities issue marriage licenses is because of lawyers. It clarifies property status and gives them lots of work when the marriage is to be terminated.

We are seeing a society in which people are living together exactly as if "married" but without the legal responsibilities and liabilities. One can have any combination without encountering problems.

The main problem comes from insurance companys and, again, lawyers, when the relationship is terminated.

True, it can.

Sounds like a good idea.

How about we quit using the power if the government for social engineering

It's just plan common sense that polygamous societies devolve into pedophilia.

If the male-to-female ratio is 1:1, and the husband-to-wife ratio is 1:2 (or greater), then child brides become mathematically inevitable.

It is what we see in the Muslim world. It is a strong statement to claim that it is inevitable.
Look at any polygamous society. You always find they devolve to child brides (pedophilia).

See: Warren Jeffs.

See: Mormons.
Let's assume the argument here is consenting adults only.
You can't defeat the math. Child brides become inevitable. They ALWAYS have. Your assumption has no connection to reality.

Again, common sense.

1:1 male-to-female, 1:10 husband-to-wife.

Child brides become mathematically inevitable.

IF, the motive for polygamy was the vast amount of money available to the super rich or even the rich, the numbers involved could be small enough to not drive average guys to widen their mate selection to include child brides.
Polygamous societies have been around for millennia. Never has it been magically such that only the one percent have multiple wives.

That is not how humans work.

Reasons and intent for marriage, and govt. support of. In primary order:

A. Survival. Marriage supports the survival of the human species through reproduction. Democrats will say "you don't have to be married to have kids". Look up the term intent.

B. Stability. Support the family structure and you support national stability. Welfare compromises family structure and stability.

C. Nation building. Not so much in play anymore considering we're overpopulated. In comes gay marriage, go figure.

D. Micro and macro economics.

E. Religion. Some want to believe this is the primary cause. It's similar to suggesting religion causes wars when it's really power and resources. Religion is an excuse.

F. You got horny.

For the life of me I don't understand why polygamy is illegal. Some suggest it's because of pedophilia, but I don't see the connection. You'd think that's not it because a high percentage of molestation involves men and boys, and many of those boys become gay. Yet we have gay marriage. You could argue most gay men don't have children anyway.

Last edited:
Again, common sense.

1:1 male-to-female, 1:10 husband-to-wife.

Child brides become mathematically inevitable.

IF, the motive for polygamy was the vast amount of money available to the super rich or even the rich, the numbers involved could be small enough to not drive average guys to widen their mate selection to include child brides.
Polygamous societies have been around for millennia. Never has it been magically such that only the one percent have multiple wives.

That is not how humans work.

I realize that I don't really know much about historical polygamy. I know of some of the problems with it, as it is currently practiced in the Muslim World and fringe Mormon cults, but beyond that, I have never bothered to research it, for obvious reasons.

Polygamy marriage is not illegal or against the law however, what is illegal or against the law is trying to file taxes with more than one household.

If such a family existed as a Polygamous family, the family would have to file taxes as one household, with with the other multiple partners filed separately.

Individual cities, states and towns and counties could also have their own stipulations for multiple adults living under one roof or household. The multiple adults would have to be required to file as renters, room mates or even dependents.

Forum List

Back