A call for mass exodus from public schools

I guess one of the main questions in public education today is, What policy initiatives would experienced teachers implement to improve overall education (absent the mandates from On High)?

Many of the initiatives implemented over the past fifty years were pushed by special interest groups seeking to protect their contingencies, at the expense of everybody else (other students). Teachers have been forced to live with those initiatives even when they thought the initiatives were stupid or counterproductive.

In the Pittsburgh school district, they have taken some astounding measures NOT to remove disruptive students from the classrooms, presumably because it might hurt their feelings. The Obama Administration was a proponent of the idea that if BIPOC's are disciplined and suspended more often than others, it is a sign of racism. The teachers and all the other students suffer with this behavior day after day, with no real recourse.

Are classes grouped by ability level, when that would facilitate better learning? How are students for whom English is a second language handles? Are kids with learning disabilities and kids with other special problems mainstreamed? How much school time is spent on sex education and social engineering (things that might better be handled in the home)?

To be political for a moment, the Republican attitude would be, let's make things better for the students who want to learn, and provide custodial arrangements for those who don't. The Leftist attitude now prevails in most urban environments.

I suspect that the logical vehicle for teacher-driven initiatives would be the unions, but the unions were the drivers of the Progressive initiatives in the first place.

And so it goes.
So, in other words everything you posted is a product of your local school board. What I keep trying to tell you and the other public school education bashers is that none of this happens in 90+% of your local public schools.

Also, why do you have these questions still if you actually knew how public schools work?

Unions are to represent teachers in disciplinary matters and collective bargaining. In my 21 years of teaching, many of which were as a member of the union, not once was curriculum or standards ever brought to a discussion because unions. What good would that do in a middle school where I was the ONLY 7th grade math teacher? Do you think the union is going to dictate what and how I teach?

Your biggest problem with this topic is an overactive imagination, false assumptions, and electing a liberal school district board of education. Only YOU can fix that.

I guess one of the main questions in public education today is, What policy initiatives would experienced teachers implement to improve overall education (absent the mandates from On High)?

Many of the initiatives implemented over the past fifty years were pushed by special interest groups seeking to protect their contingencies, at the expense of everybody else (other students). Teachers have been forced to live with those initiatives even when they thought the initiatives were stupid or counterproductive.

In the Pittsburgh school district, they have taken some astounding measures NOT to remove disruptive students from the classrooms, presumably because it might hurt their feelings. The Obama Administration was a proponent of the idea that if BIPOC's are disciplined and suspended more often than others, it is a sign of racism. The teachers and all the other students suffer with this behavior day after day, with no real recourse.

Are classes grouped by ability level, when that would facilitate better learning? How are students for whom English is a second language handles? Are kids with learning disabilities and kids with other special problems mainstreamed? How much school time is spent on sex education and social engineering (things that might better be handled in the home)?

To be political for a moment, the Republican attitude would be, let's make things better for the students who want to learn, and provide custodial arrangements for those who don't. The Leftist attitude now prevails in most urban environments.

I suspect that the logical vehicle for teacher-driven initiatives would be the unions, but the unions were the drivers of the Progressive initiatives in the first place.

And so it goes.

Why do you care? You were ticked off you had to slow down a little for the...what did you call them? "little bastards" at the bus stop.

So really.

Forum List

Back