A boy, pledge of allegiance, and gay marriage

I was a substitute teacher for several years and only once had a child refuse to stand up and recite the Pledge. She volunteered that her family were 7th Day Adventists and they don't participate in such things. I said "that's cool", and continued on with the rest of the class.

That was the end of it.

I can't believe this dick of a sub confronting a child like this.

On the other hand, the little shit in the linked story doesn't recognise the Pledge as just that- a pledge.
A desire to strive for liberty and justice.

I was a substitute teacher for several years and only once had a child refuse to stand up and recite the Pledge. She volunteered that her family were 7th Day Adventists and they don't participate in such things. I said "that's cool", and continued on with the rest of the class.

That was the end of it.

On the other hand, the little shit in the linked story doesn't recognise the Pledge as just that- a pledge.

I agree that the sub was 'a dick'.

The pledge might mean many different things to different people ... not that I know what it means to that boy. And if you believe in whatever that USA is supposed to stand for (liberty and all), you will respect even his right to view it (and use it) as he chooses to. ;)

Arkansas Times

:razz: :clap2:

A boy refused to stand up and pledge allegiance in classroom in support of gay marriage.

Read ze article.

I read the story, and I believe the boy was taking a stand for what he believed was right. I am pretty sure that was learned behavior, and he admires someone who stands firm in their beliefs.

I don't personally hold much stock in the pledge anymore, at least not with the current government. While I would not be rude and not stand, I think that is respectful, I might keep my mouth shut. I think he was respectful in staying wuiet.

That was the end of it.

The pledge might mean many different things to different people ... not that I know what it means to that boy. And if you believe in whatever that USA is supposed to stand for (liberty and all), you will respect even his right to view it (and use it) as he chooses to. ;)

Good point.

But, as I said above, the kid is missing the point by interjecting his selected views and applying them as a pre-meditated protest against a misinterpreted recitation. Smart, clever, but not intelligent.

sure i dont mind :)

Because he thinks he is right, and will disrespect the pledge because of gay marriage which really has nothing to do with pledging allegiance to ones own country.

I dont however think he is wrong for taking a stand, i just think he is going about it the wrong way.

He's got guts, just disagree with how he is doing it

im sorry but I think this boy is just a self righteous ass

Care to explain why?

Arkansas Times

A boy refused to stand up and pledge allegiance in classroom in support of gay marriage.

Read ze article.
:clap2:
Go Hogs!
razorback1.jpg

You see? There are some intelligent people in Arkansas.

Thanks for the thread start.

That was the end of it.

Kudos to you. The pledge is made to the flag of the United States, and the freedom it stands for...not the assholes that run it, or the school.

'Tis you, not he.

That was the end of it.

:clap2:

Care to explain why?

I tend to agree. He's interpreting the Pledge of Allegiance as a statement of guaranteed freedoms. No doubt he's a smart kid, but intelligent?
Evidently of the right hand side of the curve, I'd say. It's just a pity he wants to become a lawyer instead of an engineer.

The concept of pledging is out dated.
Possibly so. Look at what has happened to pledges of troth...they mean nothing...especially in the liberal arena. Your word means nothing today. That's part of the foundation of today's legal fleecing system. Pledges mean nothing.

Arkansas Times

Read ze article.

I read the story, and I believe the boy was taking a stand for what he believed was right. I am pretty sure that was learned behavior, and he admires someone who stands firm in their beliefs.

I don't personally hold much stock in the pledge anymore, at least not with the current government. While I would not be rude and not stand, I think that is respectful, I might keep my mouth shut. I think he was respectful in staying wuiet.
(Quiet, I'm guessing.) Yes, he was respectful. A less sensible child might have bitch-slapped the sub and got himself suspended.

The pledge is to the flag of the United and the freedom for which it stands. It is not to the government or the school administration...both of which can be confused with one another quite easily these days. I don't know that this was a government school and really don't care. The young man was completely within his rights as a citizen (supposition) of the United States, being protected by his constitutional right to freedom of speech by whatever means short of criminal behavior or say, shouting "fire" when there is none...and to refuse recitation of any and all pledges to any and all things, religious or governmental.

That was the end of it.

Good point.

But, as I said above, the kid is missing the point by interjecting his selected views and applying them as a pre-meditated protest against a misinterpreted recitation. Smart, clever, but not intelligent.
Like I said, he's on the right hand side of the curve.

I suspect some objections to his behavior are based on his protesting treatment of gays.

DUH!!!

Last edited:
I suspect some objections to his behavior are based on his protesting treatment of gays.

DUH!!!

Certainly not on my part.

The kid's heart is in the right place, but I suspect he's being groomed by the parents. Whereas I believe that, as in this case, children should be raised "to be aware of what's right, what's wrong, and what's fair", they should also be taught some semblence of diplomacy when it comes to expressing as much.

DUH!!!

Certainly not on my part.

The kid's heart is in the right place, but I suspect he's being groomed by the parents. Whereas I believe that, as in this case, children should be raised "to be aware of what's right, what's wrong, and what's fair", they should also be taught some semblence of diplomacy when it comes to expressing as much.
There was no intent to point at you with that suspicion. I do think it is a cause of the jeering and name calling he receives.

Arkansas Times

Read ze article.

So this one learned to bend over and shit on national respect due to cheap special interest propaganda at a young age!

Should we be surprised?

This is a pretty piss poor way of trying to change things, if one feels so strongly about it. Look how Obama ended up, he shits on national respect as president.

How wonderful. :ahole-1:

Mike

[The kid's heart is in the right place, but I suspect he's being groomed by the parents. .

Of course he is.

It is like all those parents you see in children's sport not letting their children just have fun, live in that wonderous, beautiful, magical time of childhood, no they have to yell and scream and force their kids to be superstars, and as they yell out their own personal frustrations and failures at their own children, the the poor child forgets that he or she is even a child.

Live your own fucking life, don't make your child live your life for you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back