90 Minutes In Heaven

Have you ever know someone who has had a near death experience?

Hubby and I was the movie 90 Minutes In Heaven this weekend. We both read the book as well.....

I encourage you to read this book by Don Piper. It's an easy read, and could be transformational in your life....

And he of course donated all the proceeds to worthy causes cause he isn't trying to make money off this right? ;)

Hubby and I was the movie 90 Minutes In Heaven this weekend. We both read the book as well.....

I encourage you to read this book by Don Piper. It's an easy read, and could be transformational in your life....

And he of course donated all the proceeds to worthy causes cause he isn't trying to make money off this right? ;)
Do you know that for a fact?

Was being snarky. :)

Was being snarky. :)
I'm being quite serious

I imagine you and I will not agree too often on Biblical interpretations, etc. But putting that aside I will say I went to see this movie because of my wife’s pleadings. I do very much believe this story is true for many compelling reasons, not least is the fact he was pronounced dead by medical attendees and lay that way in a mangled car for 90 minutes until a minister of God came and prayed over him. Secondly, there are so many cases of people who have died (no brain function, etc. and come back to life) and have had similar encounters with the mystical, why do so many skeptics try so hard to think it is so preposterous? Pretty easy to demonstrate God’s presence in this world --- pretty difficult to then imply we vanish into oblivion by God’s command after death.

But the movie itself I found to be a real let down. It did a very poor job of holding the audience’s interest, especially if you are an unbeliever in the first place. It did a poor job of depicting heaven and it spent only a couple of minutes near the end of the movie attempting to do so!! Ridiculous. It’s why the people came to the theatre. As one film critic put it --- “90 minutes in heaven? It should have been called 90 minutes in a hospital bed.” A real disappointment even though Don Piper's real life (and probably book) are anything but.

I imagine you and I will not agree too often on Biblical interpretations, etc. But putting that aside I will say I went to see this movie because of my wife’s pleadings. I do very much believe this story is true for many compelling reasons, not least is the fact he was pronounced dead by medical attendees and lay that way in a mangled car for 90 minutes until a minister of God came and prayed over him. Secondly, there are so many cases of people who have died (no brain function, etc. and come back to life) and have had similar encounters with the mystical, why do so many skeptics try so hard to think it is so preposterous? Pretty easy to demonstrate God’s presence in this world --- pretty difficult to then imply we vanish into oblivion by God’s command after death.

But the movie itself I found to be a real let down. It did a very poor job of holding the audience’s interest, especially if you are an unbeliever in the first place. It did a poor job of depicting heaven and it spent only a couple of minutes near the end of the movie attempting to do so!! Ridiculous. It’s why the people came to the theatre. As one film critic put it --- “90 minutes in heaven? It should have been called 90 minutes in a hospital bed.” A real disappointment even though Don Piper's real life (and probably book) are anything but.

I agree but if you read the book, it's mostly about his experience of recover, so, the movie not much different than the book.

That being said, my husband and I came out of the theatre feeling a bit "let down" - I think the film could have been done better, no doubt, but, it's hard to put on film something that is pure and Godly...

Had near death experiences a half dozen times. Not a single time was I conscience of any heaven-like experience. Twice was in a coma and for me there was complete nothingness, not passage of time, no hearing people in my room conversations, no being transported, nothing. Just me.

You do know that he admitted that his experience was a hoax, right?

Having been dead myself I was happy to have the opportunity to read his book, and I was deeply disappointed by the utter bullshit he wrote.

Nothing but lies. The Other Side is not in any way like he described it.
What's it like, Grandma? Will you tell your story?

And anyways, what makes everyone who gets near death and have this happen to them always think they made it to heaven and nobody's ever seen hell?

Wiese states that he had been a Christian since 1970, but had never studied Hell before his experiences[3] on the night of November 23, 1998.[4] According to the book, Wiese, then a real estate broker,[3][5] found himself in a cell approximately 15 feet (4.6 m) high and 10 feet (3.0 m) by 15 feet (4.6 m) in area, where there were two foul-smelling beasts, personifications of evil and terror, who spoke in a blasphemous language. Wiese says that the creatures had strength approximately one thousand times greater than a man's strength. According to Wiese, the beasts threw him against the stone wall, breaking his bones, and then ripped his flesh.[5]

Wiese states that he nevertheless managed to crawl out of his cell, where he heard the screams of the billions of damned people in hell.[5] He states that he then encountered Jesus, who told him to tell other people that hell is real. Wiese states that his first experience ended with him waking on the floor of his living room, screaming in horror.[4]

23 Minutes in Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And anyways, what makes everyone who gets near death and have this happen to them always think they made it to heaven and nobody's ever seen hell?

Wiese states that he had been a Christian since 1970, but had never studied Hell before his experiences[3] on the night of November 23, 1998.[4] According to the book, Wiese, then a real estate broker,[3][5] found himself in a cell approximately 15 feet (4.6 m) high and 10 feet (3.0 m) by 15 feet (4.6 m) in area, where there were two foul-smelling beasts, personifications of evil and terror, who spoke in a blasphemous language. Wiese says that the creatures had strength approximately one thousand times greater than a man's strength. According to Wiese, the beasts threw him against the stone wall, breaking his bones, and then ripped his flesh.[5]

Wiese states that he nevertheless managed to crawl out of his cell, where he heard the screams of the billions of damned people in hell.[5] He states that he then encountered Jesus, who told him to tell other people that hell is real. Wiese states that his first experience ended with him waking on the floor of his living room, screaming in horror.[4]

His mom shouldn't let him watch horror movies before bedtime.

That honestly doesn't sound like a fairy tale to you? What kind of study of hell could there even be? The Bible doesn't go into any detail, sounds more like a nightmare. For me, the real nightmare is that there are adults running around that believe such shit.

That honestly doesn't sound like a fairy tale to you? What kind of study of hell could there even be? The Bible doesn't go into any detail, sounds more like a nightmare. For me, the real nightmare is that there are adults running around that believe such shit.
The only believable part is meeting Jesus in hell. :D

I have not heard of the book or movie but have heard some testimonies of people going to heaven and returning. I have also known people who have seen Jesus when they were about to die. I think they were angels instead but it wasn't for me to question or correct. It wasn't my experience. 90 minutes is a vapor of time but then our measure of time and Gods heavenly measure is not always the same. Time is not linear as we have come to know it. I can't say I understand that but I know it isn't.

I do not understand why science is so quick to be believed over the bible. There is a lot of things in the bible that describe things that were not seen nor given a name until modern times. An example....blood moon. Bible talks about such and it sounded pretty metaphoric and heaped in symbolism which must be very mystical. It does have meaning but to those who witnessed it Sunday night it was really incredible. It was a sign and wonder. They are rare to occur. Revelation talks about meteors too but they didn't have a name. So for me science is still trying to catch up to the spiritual, but that is just how I look at things. I remember my husband having me read this long science paper written about some anonmoly with light particles some years ago. I read it and he went on to point out all the science mystery of why and how it did this different thing etc. he made the mistake and asked what my thoughts were thinking I was going to go into a scientific monologue. I said wow Jesus is awesome! Do you realize he was speaking to that fig tree and commanding it on a molecular level? And we have that same ability?! He said huh? How did you get that from that paper? I said because I do not see their findings as final authority and one has to keep their mind and spirit open to what God wants you to learn from it. If one does not have a heavenly experience then they may not remember it. The portal to the spirit is the mind. The portal to the mind is the brain.

I have not heard of the book or movie but have heard some testimonies of people going to heaven and returning.

These people may have had an out of body experience, but they have not been to heaven. The silver chord must be severed to truly die, and once severed it cannot be reconnected. Since they have returned to their body they were not dead.

Forum List

Back