9-11 museum to charge a $25 admittance fee

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

A $25 fee to get into the 9/11 museum? - The Week

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

Last edited:
This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

It was stupid to build a huge pretty building there. In principle, the dude who signed off on the project should have been babysat. But its there now and the light bill needs to be paid. What I herd on the news was 9/11 family's get in for free. That place is ware there dead lie and they should have free 100% access.As for the rest of the public, let them pay. What else can you do unless they rent out office space in the buildings.

How do you expect them to pay for the staff and maintenance?

Guess he's confused with the difference between 9/11 Memorial and the 9/11 Museum you do have to laugh at the faux outrage over it

To me, there is no difference.

9-11 was a defining moment in our lives. People should not be prevented from paying their respects at this landmark because they cannot afford to take their family. This is a National Memorial and the museum should have been designed with that in mind. It should not be a museum for those who can afford it but should be open to all

If they don't charge fees, how will they pay their operating expenses??

Federal money...but shhhhhh....the conservatives want to act like they dont want to increase spending.

How do you expect them to pay for the staff and maintenance?

Guess he's confused with the difference between 9/11 Memorial and the 9/11 Museum you do have to laugh at the faux outrage over it

9-11 was a defining moment in our lives. People should not be prevented from paying their respects at this landmark because they cannot afford to take their family. This is a National Memorial and the museum should have been designed with that in mind. It should not be a museum for those who can afford it but should be open to all

So once again you want the 50% of Americans who do pay Federal Income TAx to foot the bill for the 50% of Americans who do not. Typical lefty.

Federal money...but shhhhhh....the conservatives want to act like they dont want to increase spending.

Ya that's why the left want's it for free.....

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?

Ya that's why the left want's it for free.....

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?[/QUOTE]

Ask that question when ALL Americans pay Federal Income tax. Til then it's a fact. 50% pay 50% get a free ride. Thanks for asking.

Can't they brand it? Get a sponsor? You know, the Wells Fargo 9/11 Museum...

...Go-Daddy.com Ground Zero...

That would be the conservative, aka real Patriotic American, way.

So once again you want the 50% of Americans who do pay Federal Income TAx to foot the bill for the 50% of Americans who do not. Typical lefty.

It's not a federal facility.

Make it free for everyone who pays NYC taxes. Charge the rest of us.

It's not a federal facility.

Make it free for everyone who pays NYC taxes. Charge the rest of us.

If it doesn't involve the Federal Taxpayer it works for me.

Can't they brand it? Get a sponsor? You know, the Wells Fargo 9/11 Museum...

...Go-Daddy.com Ground Zero...

That would be the conservative, aka real Patriotic American, way.

typical lefty, "don't ask me to pay for anything." but "Give me more."

Maybe you're right. Maybe the City of New York should set the admission price as high as they possibly can to maximize profits,

kind of like pricing a Big Mac.

Forum List

Back