9-11 museum to charge a $25 admittance fee

Federal money...but shhhhhh....the conservatives want to act like they dont want to increase spending.

Ya that's why the left want's it for free.....

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?

So it should be yet another gubitment handout paid for by the tax payer.

"Last week, president and chief executive of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum Joe Daniels told New York City council members about the possible $20 or $25 fee. He said the museum must generate enough income to operate, which memorial officials say could require between $50 and $60 million a year. The memorial portion will be free to enter.

"This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's supposed to be a memorial"

To me, there is no difference.

9-11 was a defining moment in our lives. People should not be prevented from paying their respects at this landmark because they cannot afford to take their family. This is a National Memorial and the museum should have been designed with that in mind. It should not be a museum for those who can afford it but should be open to all

So once again you want the 50% of Americans who do pay Federal Income TAx to foot the bill for the 50% of Americans who do not. Typical lefty.

It's not a federal facility.

Make it free for everyone who pays NYC taxes. Charge the rest of us.

In message after message on USMB, I have heard how conservatives would prefer charity based help over our Federal entitlement programs. Here is yet ANOTHER opportunity to see how well this theory works. How about all of you charitable conservatives give to this very worthy and PATRIOTIC cause and then they won't have to charge $25.00 entry fee?

So once again you want the 50% of Americans who do pay Federal Income TAx to foot the bill for the 50% of Americans who do not. Typical lefty.

In message after message on USMB, I have heard how conservatives would prefer charity based help over our Federal entitlement programs. Here is yet ANOTHER opportunity to see how well this theory works. How about all of you charitable conservatives give to this very worthy and PATRIOTIC cause and then they won't have to charge $25.00 entry fee?

Whens the left going to step up and start chipping in hmmm you're all great at demanding everyone else pay for something you want yet you yourself won't pay for it.

Ya that's why the left want's it for free.....

Huh? You can't operate a museum or a park for free. So either you charge...or the government pays for it ...or a private charity pays for it.

Even piece of land needs maintenance that requires money.

Where is ANYONE asking for something for free?

So it should be yet another gubitment handout paid for by the tax payer.

"Last week, president and chief executive of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum Joe Daniels told New York City council members about the possible $20 or $25 fee. He said the museum must generate enough income to operate, which memorial officials say could require between $50 and $60 million a year. The memorial portion will be free to enter.
"This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's supposed to be a memorial"

Problem solved.

This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

A $25 fee to get into the 9/11 museum? - The Week

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

While I know people have to get paid, this seems over the top.

I would need to know why it cost $60 million a year to run.

This is outrageous. All Americans should have free access to pay their respects to one of the biggest tragedies in US history

Some family members of 9/11 victims are furious over the steep admission fee that's being proposed for the National September 11 Memorial Museum, set to open this fall. To help foot the $60 million annual cost of running the museum, City Council members are floating the idea of charging either a mandatory admission fee, or a "suggested donation," of up to $25. "I think it's very crude," says New York City Fire Department Deputy Chief Jim Riches, who lost his son in the attacks.

"We wanted a simple, beautiful memorial," says Sally Regenhard, who lost her son in the attacks, as quoted by Reuters. "What we have here is something the families never asked for." Charging an admission fee tarnishes what should be a sacred site. "This is not the Metropolitan Museum of Art," says Riches. "It's supposed to be a memorial."

If they don't charge fees, how will they pay their operating expenses??

The Smithsonian Institution is free. These are our national museums and I think the 9-11 Museum should be a national museum also. The WTC site is some of the most expensive in the US, some of that revenue should be used to fund the memorial/museum. I also like the idea of corporate sponsorship. I think our major corporations would jump at the opportunity to have "sponsored by" attached to one of our most solemn attractions.

This is an educational site and people should be able to take their children and grandchildren without dishing out over $100. Economic times are tough and that is a lot of money for some families. The free 9-11 memorial will be a bunch of fountains and benches and names on the wall. I don't think future generations can get a feel for what 9-11 was about by looking at a bunch of fountains

The museum will tell the stories of our brave policemen and firemen, the museum will give you a feel of the terror felt by the trapped WTC employees, the museum will tell about the people on the hijacked planes. You shouldn't have to dish out $100 to experience that....and a bunch of fountains is not a substitute

Last edited:

Whens the left going to step up and start chipping in hmmm you're all great at demanding everyone else pay for something you want yet you yourself won't pay for it.

I don't want anything? Nor am I demanding anything. I give to multiple charities every year. The fact of the matter is, charitable contributions have never been enough, hence the Federal Government at some point felt it needed to step in and assist. Sort of destroys the whole charitable giving theory, don't you think?

How do you expect them to pay for the staff and maintenance?

Guess he's confused with the difference between 9/11 Memorial and the 9/11 Museum you do have to laugh at the faux outrage over it

9-11 was a defining moment in our lives. People should not be prevented from paying their respects at this landmark because they cannot afford to take their family. This is a National Memorial and the museum should have been designed with that in mind. It should not be a museum for those who can afford it but should be open to all

I respect that opinion but I dont have the issue you do. The memorial will be free to go to and the museam will be a pay place...nothing wrong with the city of new york recovering some of the expenses to build it and the expenses to run it by charging a fee.

If they don't charge fees, how will they pay their operating expenses??

The Smithsonian Institution is free. These are our national museums and I think the 9-11 Museum should be a national museum also. The WTC site is some of the most expensive in the US, some of that revenue should be used to fund the memorial/museum. I also like the idea of corporate sponsorship. I think our major corporations would jump at the opportunity to have "sponsored by" attached to one of our most solemn attractions.

This is an educational site and people should be able to take their children and grandchildren without dishing out over $100. Economic times are tough and that is a lot of money for some families. The free 9-11 memorial will be a bunch of fountains and benches and names on the wall. I don't think future generations can get a feel for what 9-11 was about by looking at a bunch of fountains

The museum will tell the stories of our brave policemen and firemen, the museum will give you a feel of the terror felt by the trapped WTC employees, the museum will tell about the people on the hijacked planes. You shouldn't have to dish out $100 to experience that....and a bunch of fountains is not a substitute

However....IF the Fed was to take this over, can you imagine how much it would cost us in taxes? $25.00 is nothing compared to what it would probably balloon into if the Fed got involved.

How do you expect them to pay for the staff and maintenance?

They can go to the Magic Garden of Conservatism and pluck the fruit of the Lower Taxes Higher Revenues Money Tree.

Or they can just be capitalists and charge a fee that will cover their operating expense.....ZOMG!

Or charge everyone and dont take tax revenues from away from other things in NYC to pay for it.

While I know people have to get paid, this seems over the top.

I would need to know why it cost $60 million a year to run.

Government Union Workers earn a LOT of money in pay and benefits.

Charity works precisely because it is voluntary, not compulsory. It's easy to claim you "care" about someone when you're robbing a third party to pay for the gifts you give them while taking all the credit. To point the finger at the victim of your mugging and say "if you gave a damn about the unfortunate, you'd pony up the bucks" after you're already pilfering out of his wallet is not only deceitful, but just plain demonic.

Going to a museum is hardly a necessity of life. It's not as though people will starve or be denied health care or lose their homes if they can't afford $25 for a museum. The truth is that every American can afford a $25 admission fee to any museum in the country, but that most of them would rather spend the $25 on a BigMac, or watch satellite TV, or a Ninetendo DS.

Forum List

Back