8 FEET OF SNOW IN 18 HOURS- Italy Reeling from masssive storm.

Budapest is colder than hell too.

Image00004.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00007.jpg
that can't be, cold is only the Northeastern US, ask all the warmers on here.

When it gets really, really cold, it doesn't snow. Snowing is precipitation. It requires evaporated moisture. Until recently, Antarctica was one of the driest deserts on the planet.
wow, did you really just write that? holy crap batman, and the silliness continues. Thanks for the laugh today!

One thing you folks need to get a handle on and that's to separate temperature from precipitation.

Total warming since the Industrial Revolution began is just breaking 1 centigrade degree and - hopefully - won't exceed 3 or 4 degrees within the next century. That is not sufficient warming to eliminate the existence of ice and snow on the planet. Antarctica is not expected to thaw. The changes that are causing the extreme winter weather we have been seeing for the last year or two involve two things: the relocation of Arctic air masses into more southerly latitudes and large amounts of water vapor in the air due to increased global average tropical and subtropical temperatures. The contention that heavy snow in Boston refutes global warming is nothing more than a demonstration of your prejudice and your ignorance.
so let's say you're right with the temperature here, do you know what the temperature is supposed to be? Give us that number. Oh, and where is it supposed to be that number, since the global temperatures differ at different times of the earth's axis. Since it is all settled, you must have that data.

The left wing zealots will tout this as caused by Global Warming when the facts is just the opposite.

And not one US Media outlet is saying a word...

Highest avg precip (including snow) in all of Italy in 1 year:

Tarvisio 55.8"

96" in less than a day? Nah, what makes you think climate change would be responsible for something that's never happened before?

96" of snow is equal to 8 inches of rain. If you want to see some extreme weather for Italy you have to go back to the 1950's when it was REALLY bad.

upload_2015-3-16_19-47-26.png

Droughts and extreme events in regional daily Italian precipitation series - Brunetti - 2002 - International Journal of Climatology - Wiley Online Library

So, what do you believe that data show? I don't see any cooling there.

Read the link, it's about extreme precipitation events. One chucklehead claimed that 96" of snow is some sort of record and proof of global warming. The link shows that to not be true. Do try and keep up.

And in Minneapolis, it was over 70 degrees on Sunday.
Last year at this time we had a foot of snow on my yard. This year, I haven't had any snow on my yard for over two weeks.
Funny dat!
it was 72 in Chicago Monday, no snow for awhile now. Tuesday, the temps were below normal in the high 30s. It's spring in a day. temperatures will fluctuate like they do every year.

Last year at this time we had a foot of snow on my yard. This year, I haven't had any snow on my yard for over two weeks.
Funny dat!
it was 72 in Chicago Monday, no snow for awhile now. Tuesday, the temps were below normal in the high 30s. It's spring in a day. temperatures will fluctuate like they do every year.

It's the effect of El Niño! Personally, living in the Great Lakes region, El Niño is a positive for us folks. Of course, that's just my biased opinion because typically the weather is pretty decent. I lived in this neck of the woods since 1998 and I haven't lived a bad El Niño yet. But usually it sucks for the people in the North East.
El Niño has arrived, says NOAA
El Nino has arrived says NOAA Earth EarthSky

Funny dat!

It's the effect of El Niño! Personally, living in the Great Lakes region, El Niño is a positive for us folks. Of course, that's just my biased opinion because typically the weather is pretty decent. I lived in this neck of the woods since 1998 and I haven't lived a bad El Niño yet. But usually it sucks for the people in the North East.

And then El Nino was GONE.......................... Simply because this month the ocean temps in region 3-4 dropped by 0.5 deg C a whole 10 days after their BIG announcement.... :blahblah::boohoo:

Funny dat!

And then El Nino was GONE.......................... Simply because this month the ocean temps in region 3-4 dropped by 0.5 deg C a whole 10 days after their BIG announcement.... :blahblah::boohoo:

Billy_Bob, do you happen to have a link? :link:
El Niño set to strengthen but longer-term trend uncertain
17 March 2015

Weak El Niño conditions observed since October 2014 are expected to strengthen over the next few months and may turn into a substantial event, but there is a great deal of uncertainty beyond June 2015, current forecasts suggest.
An El Niño event is a prolonged period of abnormally high sea surface temperatures in the tropical Pacific Ocean. It goes hand in hand with changes in atmospheric conditions and can have strong repercussions on global weather patterns. El Niño can also significantly affect the global average temperature and hence influence the global warming signal.
“The latest ECMWF seasonal forecast from 1st March 2015 shows that in the coming months the equatorial Pacific surface temperature is expected to rise further, giving a moderate strengthening of El Niño conditions,” said Tim Stockdale, the head of ECMWF’s Seasonal and Long-Range Forecasting Group.
El Ni o set to strengthen but longer-term trend uncertain ECMWF
Here is a second opinion by NOAA, that agrees with the above report:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

Too Funny;
NOAA changes the definition of EL Nino reducing the heat level required to call it from +0.5 deg C to +0.4 deg C Anomaly...

The NINO3.4 index is one of several El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) indicators based on sea surface temperatures.

NINO3.4 is the average sea surface temperature anomaly in the region bounded by 5°N to 5°S, from 170°W to 120°W. This region has large variability on El Niño time scales, and is close to the region where changes in local sea-surface temperature are important for shifting the large region of rainfall typically located in the far western Pacific.

An El Niño or La Niña event is identified if the 5-month running-average of the NINO3.4 index exceeds +0.4°C for El Niño or -0.4°C for La Niña for at least 6 consecutive months.
source

I guess The earth just wasn't complying with the demands of alarmists so they had to change the 6 month running anomaly level to get their man.

Current anomaly is just +0.33 deg C thus breaking the 6 month trend required to maintain the "El Nino" classification.
nino3_4.png

NO kelvin wave as of yet so westerlies required to drive a ramp up do not exist. Not sure why they are calling for a ramp up as the drivers are not present. It appears to be a poke and hope by alarmists.

Last edited:
Too Funny;
NOAA changes the definition of EL Nino reducing the heat level required to call it from +0.5 deg C to +0.4 deg C Anomaly...

The NINO3.4 index is one of several El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) indicators based on sea surface temperatures.

NINO3.4 is the average sea surface temperature anomaly in the region bounded by 5°N to 5°S, from 170°W to 120°W. This region has large variability on El Niño time scales, and is close to the region where changes in local sea-surface temperature are important for shifting the large region of rainfall typically located in the far western Pacific.

An El Niño or La Niña event is identified if the 5-month running-average of the NINO3.4 index exceeds +0.4°C for El Niño or -0.4°C for La Niña for at least 6 consecutive months.
source

I guess The earth just wasn't complying with the demands of alarmists so they had to change the 6 month running anomaly level to get their man.

Current anomaly is just +0.33 deg C thus breaking the 6 month trend required to maintain the "El Nino" classification.
nino3_4.png

NO kelvin wave as of yet so westerlies required to drive a ramp up do not exist. Not sure why they are calling for a ramp up as the drivers are not present. It appears to be a poke and hope by alarmists.

If you'll notice, both of my resources's measurements are in March, your chart stops at January.
By the way, el Nino doesn't effect climate long-term, it effects weather short-term (months, not years).
Get with the program. You and other posters are so mindset on the topic of climate change, that you close your mind on weather change and the actual effects of el Nino and other weather pattern changers. You folks are taking your obsession beyond reality.

Forum List

Back