73% of Republicans think Tariffs will help the US

IMHO the Chinese will sell our debt first before giving in ,,,
Yeah, that's a card they hold. They won't just sit there and take it, and yet they are on the weaker end of this, and they're nothing if not pragmatic.

I know what Trump is trying to do, but holy shit, this better be resolved fairly soon.
it's a game of chicken and it was needed.

Why?

Give some specific reasons with actual facts attached as to why it was needed?

Trade needed to be fixed because we not only have a huge trade deficit that physically makes us less wealthy every single years, but by undercutting our production, we lose the means of being self sufficient any more, and make ourselves much more vulnerable to being extorted in the future.

Trade wars do not harm the US any more because we don't export much any more anyway, and we ARE the single best market in the world, spending the most.

We will always win any trade war, and the trade imbalance has to be stopped as soon as possible.
don't hurt?? The farmers in Iowa N Dakota's screams can be heard countrywide
Fake

Yes we totally disagree.

First of all, there is no similarity between a local drug store and a foreign competitor country.
The local grocery store will pay local salaries, buy local goods and services, etc, so is good for the local economy.
A foreign competitor is not and will not buy US finished goods, and will try to dump below cost just to destroy US production, so they can jack up prices later.

And there is no similarity between me and a nation, but on a micro-scale what happens between me and my grocery store is what happens between two nations.

A long term trade imbalance is FATAL.
I means actual wealth leaving the country, permanently.
Everyone become more poor in the US.

You say these things but you give no fact, no figures, just talking points.

Steel is an excellent example, and we went from being the largest steel makers, to not making any, and just recycling scrap steel.

This is just false, a talking point that you heard that has no basis in fact. We produced 81 million tones of crude steel last year and only imported 8.1. With the exception of during the recession, steel production has been more or less steady since 1980.

Your figures on US production are also wrong.
Inflation has increased by about a factor of 6, and yet our manufacturing output has only increased by a factor of 4, so in reality has decreased.

1 dollar 25 years ago is worth 1.77 today. That is not a factor of six, so I am not sure where you got your numbers.

And no, a trade war does NOT make things more expensive in the long run, but cheaper.
A trade war only makes foreign imports more expensive, but if you instead buy locally, the increase in production reduces cost, and the increased local revenue allows the local produces to buy more of what you are selling as well.

Well, yes it does, nothing will get cheaper. We buy things from other countries because they can make them cheaper than we can (the same reason I buy my food from the grocery store). Tariffs and a trade war will not change that fact, things will still be more expensive to make here. So, we are now forced to choose between the more expensive import or the already more expensive local product, either way people are paying more for what they are getting.

How did Trump shift the Republicans from a free trade party to a pro-tariffs party? Free trade was a tent pole issue for Republicans.
LOL

Countering protectionism from other countries demanding they remove their tariffs and subsidies for FAIR TRADE solutions isn't against Free Trade.

The term Free Trade is BS............because it's NOT FREE.........

Germany can stop tariffing our autos.........and that equation is done. Canada and our chicken.....and stop subsidies to wood..........done.

Japan.......stop banning beef done.........and so on.........

China........too many things they fuck us on to list.

As new tariffs take hold, more see negative than positive impact for the U.S.

77% dems say bad thing.

The poll doesn't differentiate tariffs on countries with manipulated currency and below cost prices, but it still strikes me as odd. The gop is now isolationist.

And look at the break between college and non-college educated. And white grads and non-grads

Strange days indeed.

More proof that the far left does not understand anything beyond their religious narratives.

Tariff Act of 1789 | Encyclopedia.com

I know that this is a very hard concept for many people, but what worked in 1789 will not work today. The world is a very different place.

In 1790 it took 6 to 8 weeks to cross the Atlantic by ship, today it takes a week.

Cargo ships can go from China to Canada/US in 22 days, in 1789 there were no ships going between the two nations.

In 1789 we had a population of 3 million, today it is 100 times that much.

In 1789 we covered less than a quarter of what is our nation today.

77% dems say bad thing.

The poll doesn't differentiate tariffs on countries with manipulated currency and below cost prices, but it still strikes me as odd. The gop is now isolationist.

And look at the break between college and non-college educated. And white grads and non-grads

Strange days indeed.

More proof that the far left does not understand anything beyond their religious narratives.

I know that this is a very hard concept for many people, but what worked in 1789 will not work today. The world is a very different place.

In 1790 it took 6 to 8 weeks to cross the Atlantic by ship, today it takes a week.

Cargo ships can go from China to Canada/US in 22 days, in 1789 there were no ships going between the two nations.

In the 80's we used quotas and tariffs against Japanese automakers........The result........they accelerated building plants here and built more plants here that would not be counted in the Quotas.............Investment and jobs in America.

The Market is here.......we virtually sell no autos there.......very little in Europe..........They are the losers if we match their protectionist tariffs......it will force them to continue to build the vehicles here just like it did in the 80's.........Those actions under GATT caused the price to go up about $700 a vehicle. Last I heard their were no automobiles in 1789.

77% dems say bad thing.

Strange days indeed.

In the 80's we used quotas and tariffs against Japanese automakers........The result........they accelerated building plants here and built more plants here that would not be counted in the Quotas.............Investment and jobs in America.

The Market is here.......we virtually sell no autos there.......very little in Europe..........They are the losers if we match their protectionist tariffs......it will force them to continue to build the vehicles here just like it did in the 80's.........Those actions under GATT caused the price to go up about $700 a vehicle. Last I heard their were no automobiles in 1789.

Between 1982 and 1984 the US lost more than 60,000 auto making jobs, most contribute it to a result of the tariffs. The numbers I saw said the cost of the car went up by $1000. When you take into account that in 1980 the average new car cost about $7500, an additional $1000, or even $700 is a pretty hefty change.

77% dems say bad thing.

Strange days indeed.

Between 1982 and 1984 the US lost more than 60,000 auto making jobs, most contribute it to a result of the tariffs. The numbers I saw said the cost of the car went up by $1000. When you take into account that in 1980 the average new car cost about $7500, an additional $1000, or even $700 is a pretty hefty change.
The major result and lasting result of that fight was more auto's by more foreign auto makers were built and are still here today. The fight was with Japan primarily and that quota forced them to build here.

The market is here............they have made sure of that. Which is exactly why Germany imposes a 25% tariff on our goods...........They are using protectionism against us................lower it to 2.5% and the problem is solved..........Doesn't mean we take over their market...........just means the playing field is level.

Why is that so hard to understand...............We don't sell that many vehicles there for a reason......they prevent it.

How did Trump shift the Republicans from a free trade party to a pro-tariffs party? Free trade was a tent pole issue for Republicans.
LOL

Countering protectionism from other countries demanding they remove their tariffs and subsidies for FAIR TRADE solutions isn't against Free Trade.

Germany can stop tariffing our autos.........and that equation is done. Canada and our chicken.....and stop subsidies to wood..........done.

Actually, the concept of "fair" is what is BS, not free. Fair does not exist, it is a thing we tell our children about to make them feel better about the world, but it only exist in fairy tales.

The problem with fair is that it is always 100% in the eye of the beholder. You think that it is not fair that Canada subsidies their lumber, but you have no problem with the US subsiding our dairy industry to the tune of 70% of their income.

Trade should be mutually beneficial, and if you look at the US you cannot say it has not benefited...

4% unemployment, 109 straight months of economic expansion, more jobs than people to fill them...

LOL

Actually, the concept of "fair" is what is BS, not free. Fair does not exist, it is a thing we tell our children about to make them feel better about the world, but it only exist in fairy tales.

The problem with fair is that it is always 100% in the eye of the beholder. You think that it is not fair that Canada subsidies their lumber, but you have no problem with the US subsiding our dairy industry to the tune of 70% of their income.

Trade should be mutually beneficial, and if you look at the US you cannot say it has not benefited...

4% unemployment, 109 straight months of economic expansion, more jobs than people to fill them...
I'm an American........we fight for American jobs.......not Canadian ones.........

Which is why these agreements need to be negotiated DIRECTLY..........and not with a mickey mouse court..............

It is a give and take process and the rest of the world is taking for Globalism..............Trump promised to take it to the mat..........we are there.........

Got news for you ............without those subsidies our lumber industries down where I live will kick the shit out of Canadian lumber companies.......which is why they subsidize...........

Say the word...........and we will not need their lumber at all................

I'm an American........we fight for American jobs.......not Canadian ones.........

Which is why these agreements need to be negotiated DIRECTLY..........and not with a mickey mouse court..............

It is a give and take process and the rest of the world is taking for Globalism..............Trump promised to take it to the mat..........we are there.........

Got news for you ............without those subsidies our lumber industries down where I live will kick the shit out of Canadian lumber companies.......which is why they subsidize...........

Say the word...........and we will not need their lumber at all................

The same thing can be said about the industries that we have subsidies for in this country. You act like we are some innocent victim here in all this, that is just bullshit.

China slashes tariffs on imported cars
China is cutting the tariffs it charges on imported cars, giving a potential boost to foreign automakers in the world's largest market.
The Chinese Finance Ministry said Tuesday that it will cut import duties on passenger vehicles from 25% to 15%, starting July 1.

The announcement, which fulfills an earlier pledge by Chinese President Xi Jinping, comes just days after China and the United States agreed to a ceasefire in their recent trade hostilities.

President Donald Trump singled China's import duties on cars for criticism last month, pointing out that they're far higher than the 2.5% the United States charges on imported cars. "Does that sound like free or fair trade?" Trump tweeted. "No, it sounds like STUPID TRADE - going on for years!"

1mb96x.jpg

China slashes tariffs on imported cars
China is cutting the tariffs it charges on imported cars, giving a potential boost to foreign automakers in the world's largest market.
The Chinese Finance Ministry said Tuesday that it will cut import duties on passenger vehicles from 25% to 15%, starting July 1.

The announcement, which fulfills an earlier pledge by Chinese President Xi Jinping, comes just days after China and the United States agreed to a ceasefire in their recent trade hostilities.

President Donald Trump singled China's import duties on cars for criticism last month, pointing out that they're far higher than the 2.5% the United States charges on imported cars. "Does that sound like free or fair trade?" Trump tweeted. "No, it sounds like STUPID TRADE - going on for years!"

your article is from May, did this actually happen?

Forum List

Back