72-Year-Old Woman Tased and Jailed!

so in texas they are not to "serve and protect"....hell that could have been any of our mothers...they are simply mean crabby old ladies....thats all...no danger to anyone

all them bitches on the view wudda tazer the shit out of grandma,, except for Joy! :lol:

Assuming for a second that the little ole lady did need arresting, and even resisting the little bit she did, was the use of a taser necessary?
I have a very difficult time believing this cop couldn't get the cuffs on a 72yr old lady that is half his size, without using his taser.

Does a cop not need to feel he's in imminent danger before using the taser?

I almost always support the police because i do know what they deal with every day, and I don't envy their job, but asshats like this one are exactly why there seems to be less public support every day.

Exactly. Here's this huge, young cop and this little, old lady, and if he can't get cuffs on her without tazering her than he has NO FUCKING BUSINESS being a cop. He tazered her because he WANTED to. He wanted to HURT her. He wanted to TEACH HER A LESSON. He should be fired, prosecuted, fined and thrown in jail.

YouTube - 72-year-old Woman Tasered & Jailed!

A traffic stop for speeding in Travis County, Texas, led to the Tasering of a 72-year-old great-grandmother by a deputy. Feisty Kathryn Winkfein apparently so frightened the law-enforcement officer when she "used some profanity" and "got violent" that he felt it necessary to subdue her with a potentially dangerous jolt of electricity.

Winkfein was reportedly doing 60 in a construction zone where the posted speed limit was 45 when she was pulled over. She was ticketed but declined to sign the ticket, leading the police officer to place her under arrest lest civilization collapse for want of the surrender of a penny's worth of ink.

At this point, the stories diverge. According to Precinct 3 Constable Richard McCain, Winkfein cursed and refused to cooperate. She says nothing of the sort occurred. "I wasn't argumentative, I was not combative. This is a lie," the woman told a news reporter for Fox 7.

Either way, it's difficult to see how the issuance of a speeding ticket to an elderly woman devolved to the point where a grown, trained law-enforcement officer could be considered justified in subjecting the speeder to an electric jolt intended to disrupt her nervous system -- no matter what command of profanity she displayed.

Given that the speeding ticket had already been issued, it's also difficult to understand what purpose was served by prolonging the encounter and demanding a signature. A similar incident in Utah in 2007 between a state trooper and a motorist also resulted in a Tasering after the driver declined to sign a speeding ticket. In that case, the officer escalated the matter to a violent conclusion even though Utah law doesn't actually require a signature. Texas law apparently follows the same reasoning, considering the signature merely a promise to appear in court, not a necessity for the validity of the ticket itself.

Jared Massey, the Utah motorist, was ultimately awarded $40,000 as compensation for the abuse he suffered at the hands of Trooper Jon Gardner.

After being Tasered along the road for failing to put pen to paper, Kathryn Winkfein was taken to jail and booked for resisting arrest and detention. Not surprisingly, she's hired a lawyer.

Texas cop Tasers great-grandmother

If she had a pacemaker that cop could have killed her.

well dc i am waiting?
sorry, but i wasnt een online at that time, so you will have to wait

the job says if you don't sign the ticket, you are arrested
she refused to sign, he did his job and placed her under arrest

This doesn't quite work out with the logic.

The cop is using force to make her comply with his request to put her hands behind her back. But obviously there was no need to use force to get her to comply and sign the ticket. She was willing to comply just by the threat of being arrested. Happens all the time, cops make it clear you will be arrested if you don't comply, subject complies. Subject here was willing to comply under threatr of arrest. But that just doesn't give the cop the chance he wanted to pull out his taser. Now he's got to test the old lady and see if he can find a reason to use it.

She agreed to comply. I don't think there is any "one chance" rule. He had the option of letting her sign the ticket when she said she would do so.

well dc i am waiting?

The cop is using force to make her comply with his request to put her hands behind her back. But obviously there was no need to use force to get her to comply and sign the ticket. She was willing to comply just by the threat of being arrested. Happens all the time, cops make it clear you will be arrested if you don't comply, subject complies. Subject here was willing to comply under threatr of arrest. But that just doesn't give the cop the chance he wanted to pull out his taser. Now he's got to test the old lady and see if he can find a reason to use it.

She agreed to comply. I don't think there is any "one chance" rule. He had the option of letting her sign the ticket when she said she would do so.
but she didnt attempt to compy untill AFTER he was already in the process of making the arrest
i'm not positive, but i believe that once the process starts they are NOT allowed to stop

again, i might be wrong on this, but i dont think i am

but she didnt attempt to compy untill AFTER he was already in the process of making the arrest
i'm not positive, but i believe that once the process starts they are NOT allowed to stop

again, i might be wrong on this, but i dont think i am

I don't know. I'd have to go back and listen again. I think, much like the Utah case, the cop never informs the lady she is being placed under arrest. I think it's pretty vague as to when "the process" started and I'm pretty sure there was nothing to stop him from using his discretion.

In any case, as it is with most of these cases, the ultimate answer will come acouple years from now when his offcie has to cough up a few years of his salary. Hopefully they will find he's not worth further risk.

Assuming for a second that the little ole lady did need arresting, and even resisting the little bit she did, was the use of a taser necessary?
I have a very difficult time believing this cop couldn't get the cuffs on a 72yr old lady that is half his size, without using his taser.

I almost always support the police because i do know what they deal with every day, and I don't envy their job, but asshats like this one are exactly why there seems to be less public support every day.

Exactly. Here's this huge, young cop and this little, old lady, and if he can't get cuffs on her without tazering her than he has NO FUCKING BUSINESS being a cop. He tazered her because he WANTED to. He wanted to HURT her. He wanted to TEACH HER A LESSON. He should be fired, prosecuted, fined and thrown in jail.

Stop the presses ... Pale Rider and I are in total agreement.

he is what a foot taller....armed....50 lbs heavier....but the had to tazer her...

He prolly has more like 100 lbs on her.

The weight difference is an issue but I think we could start addressing this taser thing with an age requirement. Cops can't tase anyone 40 years younger or older than they are. That would solve probably 80% of this debate. No more 52 year olds tasering 12 year olds and no more 32 year olds tasering 72 year olds. Seems logical enough.

I refuse to admit it.

I suppose stranger things have happened... :beer:

Forum List

Back