72-Year-Old Woman Tased and Jailed!

I got no problem with the guy arresting the old lady if he had no choice in the matter even though she clearly said that she would sign the ticket. What I take issue with is him tasering her. He was in no danger and it was uncalled for.

I understand where your coming from, Art...I just see it more from the officers side.

1) The lady is clearly in the wrong several times over.

2) The poor guy is just trying to do his job...in this case an easily justifiable job of protecting workers in a construction zone on a notoriously dangerous stretch of highway.

3) The officer must arrest her if she won't sign, she won't and then resists and tries to leave.

4) She is in his custody, if she steps into the road and gets hit by a truck, it's his ass.

5) Sure, she's ready to sign after he places her under arrest, but I'm not sure if you can unring the bell in Texas before he takes her into physical custody.

6) In a split second he has to weigh his options...he could physically subdue her, but that entails the potential for breaking her arm or God-forbid her hip, so he decides to use the procedure least likely to cause any permanent harm...in case y'all didn't notice...he herds her onto the grassy area before he tasers her, to ensure a softer landing.

Could he have handled it better? Certainly.

Could she have handled it better? I find it difficult to imagine her handling it worse.

Last edited:
sometimes people seem to forget that the cop WORKS FOR HER and for me and for you....we pay them and they serve US, AS PUBLIC SERVANTS, for Christ sake...

the cop was wrong, no if ands or buts about it, no matter how belligerent she was, her sig wasn't needed in the first place....

What would the cop have done BEFORE tasers were given to him to use? Would he have even insited on a signature of the ticket? and how in the world did he not know a signature is not required for a speeding ticket? Was this his first damn ticket for speeding that he had issued?

For goodness sakes...these rules on when cops can use a taser need to be put in check!

Care

I say the onus was on her, she admits she was speeding...15 mph over the speed limit...in a workzone...with workers present, but she refuses to sign the ticket, cusses out the officer and then resists arrest.

It's written right on the ticket that signing is not an admission of guilt, so that's no excuse.

She, not the officer, is responsible for the actions that led up to her subduction.

Hey! Show Me.. Here is a good patient cop! :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaDwaef3q0"]YouTube - Angriest/Funniest Speeder Ever!!! (Banned From Television 1998)[/ame]

LOL...I've seen that before...it reminds me of my mental image of Sealybobo.
ok, that made me have to watch that video

but, nope ,not bobo, no mention of coupons
:lol:

I had to watch the video again. I didn't catch it the first time but the lady clearly said twice "give me the ticket and I'll sign it." The response to this was the first shove.

This guy is going down. Garaunteed. And what did his Chief say? "Nobody wanted this to happen any worse than Deputy....".

No shit.

Yeah, fatboy was in real danger from granny, everyone should be tortured for a traffic ticket.

Five times he told her "stop or you're going to be tazed" all she had to do is stop...this ain't rocket science here. 100% her fault.
Bullshit.

She clearly said 'give me the damn ticket I'll sign it' and fat boy shoves her and THEN says she will be tazed.

That slob deserves prison time, he is 100% guilty of brutailty.

once this lady said she wouldnt sign, she was in the process of being arrested
that was why he opened the door for her to get out so she could be cuffed and taken into custody, she resisted

the cop did his job

Yeah, fatboy was in real danger from granny, everyone should be tortured for a traffic ticket.

Five times he told her "stop or you're going to be tazed" all she had to do is stop...this ain't rocket science here. 100% her fault.
Bullshit.

She clearly said 'give me the damn ticket I'll sign it' and fat boy shoves her and THEN says she will be tazed.

it was too late at that point, she was already in the process of being arrested

Assuming for a second that the little ole lady did need arresting, and even resisting the little bit she did, was the use of a taser necessary?
I have a very difficult time believing this cop couldn't get the cuffs on a 72yr old lady that is half his size, without using his taser.

Does a cop not need to feel he's in imminent danger before using the taser?

I almost always support the police because i do know what they deal with every day, and I don't envy their job, but asshats like this one are exactly why there seems to be less public support every day.

From the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Homepage:

Sign the ticket. This is not an admission of guilt, just an acknowlegement that you received the ticket (like signing for a package). And besides, if you don't sign, the officer has to arrest you.​

Texas Traffic Tickets - TX DMV Traffic Violation Guide - DMV.ORG

The officer had no choice.

the woman was stupid. what do you expect from a 70 year old ? would you taser somebody in a fucking coma for not putting his hands behind his back when ordered ? old people don't understand where the fuck they are or what the fuck is going on. that's not reason enough to try and kill them for it ! ! !

stupidity is not a crime.

Well if she didn't understand where the fuck she was she had no right to be out on the road. She had enough presence of mind to lie to the reporters about what happened, and when the video came out she had enough presence of mind to not answer the door for her appointment. Your coma scenario is just plain stupid and does nothing to help you effectively argue your case.

Personally I don't think anyone should have to sign a ticket as Willy pointed out traffic violations are caught by cameras now-a-days and tickets are written and mailed to the violator. The facts here are that the lady was being placed under arrest and refused to comply with the officers orders to step back out of traffic and to put her hands behind her back. As we read the law clearly gives him the right to arrest her for not signing the ticket. The taser was used so the officer could regain control of the situation for his and her own safety. Could the situation been handled differently? Sure it could have. Both parties could have made different choices but were there any laws broken? No. Was it using excessive force? I don't think so. There are a large number of people who are struck standing on the side of the road, for one to reasonably be in fear of becoming another statistic. And since she was in his custody at the time, he was responsible for her safety as well, so after telling her to step back he pushed her back.

Bullshit.

it was too late at that point, she was already in the process of being arrested

It's never 'too late' to apply common sense and observe what you are doing.

We have no need of that guy's gestapo tactics and for his big arrest he will rightfully lose his job and cost his county lots of money.

Assuming for a second that the little ole lady did need arresting, and even resisting the little bit she did, was the use of a taser necessary?
I have a very difficult time believing this cop couldn't get the cuffs on a 72yr old lady that is half his size, without using his taser.

Does a cop not need to feel he's in imminent danger before using the taser?

I almost always support the police because i do know what they deal with every day, and I don't envy their job, but asshats like this one are exactly why there seems to be less public support every day.

:lol:yep,, she looked as if she were all of 4' 8" I bet he pooped his police panties when he came up against her! :lol:

I'd like to see the dash cam tape that the attorney's office has.

Here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKohyVJYiEU]YouTube - Dash Cam Footage of Grandmother Being Tased[/ame]

Well, now I saw the video. I really don't think tazering her was necessary, but it was an option. She was belligerent to the end, even when he was pointing the tazer at her. I'll give the cop a pass on this one.

all these options....he could have shot her....giving cops fucking passes is how we got here

he is what a foot taller....armed....50 lbs heavier....but the had to tazer her...

that was why he opened the door for her to get out so she could be cuffed and taken into custody, she resisted

the cop did his job

please define the job of a policeman in a routine traffic stop for speeding? since yo u know he did his job...i want you to define his job in this ....

he could have easily called for a female officier, the ticket was given...why was he arresting her...cause she didnt sign it...bullshit...dc just plain ass bullshit...but i will be waiting for the protacol of police in texas during a routine traffic stop....since you know it and all...i just have to call bullshit on this

the cop did his job

please define the job of a policeman in a routine traffic stop for speeding? since yo u know he did his job...i want you to define his job in this ....

he could have easily called for a female officier, the ticket was given...why was he arresting her...cause she didnt sign it...bullshit...dc just plain ass bullshit...but i will be waiting for the protacol of police in texas during a routine traffic stop....since you know it and all...i just have to call bullshit on this

It's already been posted

Forum List

Back