70-yr-old north carolina man wrongly convicted four decades ago, judges say

Yup we sometimes get it wrong, but according to The Innocence project, in 2010 they had 10,000 cases under review and exonerated 29. In other words, folks are wrongfully convicted 0.03% of the time

So about 700 innocent people in prison?
The percentages dont look that bad ...unless of course you're one of the 0.03%
And that would also lead me to ask why "The Innocence Project" could get it right but not our legal system.
We are talking about someones life.
I know mistakes will be made and I dont expect perfection only because it's more than likely impossible to get it in a court room when you consider the participants.
My biggest problem is unethical prosecutors and police that will do anything for a prosecution.
Fair enough, but we don't know what 700 are innocent. Tell you what. How about we build a 70 unit high-rise next door to your place and we release 700 inmates at random and set them up there with no supervision? You OK with that?

That makes zero sense.
And why you appear to be for locking up innocent people has me baffled.
If they are locked up, they are guilty. It's as simple as that. Overturning convictions is hard as hell because we trust the system. Yes we get it wrong .03% of the time. Those should have a resource like the Innocence Project, and they should get out. How you interpret what I say as advocating imprisoning innocent people, I can't for the life of me, figure out.

You just said if they were locked up they're guilty and in the same post you admit to a 0.03% error rate. That amounts to around 700 innocents in jail that you say deserve to be there....that dont.
Not sure where the confusion is.
If they are in jail, they were found guilty, so legally, they are guilty regardless of the remote possibility that they are innocent. got me now?

Knew he was Black before I even opened the link.

Same.

Since he has spent 40 years in jail a likely innocent man, that's 40 million of the State's money he should get when he is released.

You just pulled that number out of your ass didnt you?
Yeah I know you did.
Most states pay thirty or forty thousand a year for wrongful imprisonment.
Texas(yes I know all you libs will hate this)leads the nation with eighty thousand a year for wrongful imprisonment.
And surely you dont think it cost a million bucks a year to house an inmate?

And that would also lead me to ask why "The Innocence Project" could get it right but not our legal system.
I know mistakes will be made and I dont expect perfection only because it's more than likely impossible to get it in a court room when you consider the participants.
My biggest problem is unethical prosecutors and police that will do anything for a prosecution.
Fair enough, but we don't know what 700 are innocent. Tell you what. How about we build a 70 unit high-rise next door to your place and we release 700 inmates at random and set them up there with no supervision? You OK with that?

That makes zero sense.
If they are locked up, they are guilty. It's as simple as that. Overturning convictions is hard as hell because we trust the system. Yes we get it wrong .03% of the time. Those should have a resource like the Innocence Project, and they should get out. How you interpret what I say as advocating imprisoning innocent people, I can't for the life of me, figure out.

You just said if they were locked up they're guilty and in the same post you admit to a 0.03% error rate. That amounts to around 700 innocents in jail that you say deserve to be there....that dont.
Not sure where the confusion is.
If they are in jail, they were found guilty, so legally, they are guilty regardless of the remote possibility that they are innocent. got me now?

So why didnt you say we were playing make believe to begin with?

Same.

Since he has spent 40 years in jail a likely innocent man, that's 40 million of the State's money he should get when he is released.
Some states do have a set amount they will pay the wrongfully convicted. It's normally $50,000/year. Nowhere near a million bucks per year.

$50,000 a year does not even come close to compensating for the mental and physical torture he would have suffered for all those years.

Same.

You just pulled that number out of your ass didnt you?
Yeah I know you did.
Most states pay thirty or forty thousand a year for wrongful imprisonment.
Texas(yes I know all you libs will hate this)leads the nation with eighty thousand a year for wrongful imprisonment.
And surely you dont think it cost a million bucks a year to house an inmate?

Of course it doesn't cost a million bucks to house an inmate. But this is wrongful imprisonment. This is a guy locked away for four decades because he was black. He deserves enough compensation so that the state learns its lesson.

Thats what happens when prosecutors dont give a shit about the truth,only a conviction rate.
Yup we sometimes get it wrong, but according to The Innocence project, in 2010 they had 10,000 cases under review and exonerated 29. In other words, folks are wrongfully convicted 0.03% of the time

That makes zero sense.

You are a truly SPECIAL kind of stupid, or a truly SPECIAL kind of evil. I'm not sure which.

Well some cops do and some lie on the ticket and when you catch them at it, don't make it to court for your case.

They make shit up on criminal cases as well.
No doubt cops have a tough job but if they think you did something they aren't shy about making shit up to further the investigation.

I have heard it called "testilying."

This is just one reason why I'm against the death penalty. At least we didn't kill him too.
Thank you for that, Chris. I agree 100%.

Poor man. He lost the best years of his life, really. Those from 30 to 70, when he could have married, had a family, etc. Very sad.

This is just one reason why I'm against the death penalty. At least we didn't kill him too.
Thank you for that, Chris. I agree 100%.

Poor man. He lost the best years of his life, really. Those from 30 to 70, when he could have married, had a family, etc. Very sad.

Definitely isn't going to be easy for him, but the system is not perfect, and that is one big reason why I feel very uncomfortable with state sponsored executions. I don't really like the government, and I don't want them to be allowed to execute citizens for really any reason. I must admit though that sometimes my emotions do get the better of me when I hear certain stories and would like to strangle some people with my OWN hands! One that comes to mind immediately is the home invasion case in Connecticut a few years ago where the doctors wife and two daughters were raped and murdered by those two drugged out sick bastards.

That makes zero sense.

You are a truly SPECIAL kind of stupid, or a truly SPECIAL kind of evil. I'm not sure which.
I, frankly don't see anything evil or stupid in that post.
Let me summarize what I said.
When you've been convicted of a crime, you have been judged guilty. You continue to be considered guilty until your conviction is overturned.
I support the Innocence Project. Once they have proven the innocence of people convicted of their crimes, those people should be released and made whole.
The .03% number comes from the Innocence Project website where they claim 29 releases of 10,000 cases studied. Do you have a problem with that? Or do you just have a problem with cops and the court system?

I'm willing to bet most of those murders that go unsolved are gang related murders. I wonder how much back load of cases plays a role in some crimes going unsolved? I am thinking that the police departments in some of the more violent inner cities must get totally overwhelmed!
I imagine the bulk of crime in the US is drug related and probably mostly inner city.

Yes it did. Shit happens in life. He is lucky. If he had been in Asia or Europe he would have never seen the light of day again.

Forum List

Back