70 Years Ago the Dead Sea Scrolls Were Discovered

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
A Shepard boy looking for his lost sheep in Qumran walked into a cave and one of the greatest archeological finds in history was made.

1280px-Qumran.jpeg

Not knowing what it really was he took some of the leather scrolls to a shoemaker to see if he could make sandals out of them. Fortunately the shoemaker realized what they were.

1QIsa_b.jpg

Dated to the time of Christ, it is believed Qumran was a small village where Biblical texts were written. These texts were likely removed from the Temple just before the Romans destroyed it and hid in the caves of Qumran for safe keeping. And found 2,000 years later.

Because the Hebrew language has not changed over time any child who can read Hebrew can read the Dead Sea scrolls. The most important thing learned from this discovery is that the Old Testament has not changed one bit in the last 2,000 years.

An interesting find is the Copper Scroll, which is not religious text but a treasure map to where gold and silver were buried. It is assumed this treasure is also from the Temple just before it was destroyed.

800px-Part_of_Qumran_Copper_Scroll_%282%29.jpg

Jewish texts are found in the West Bank.

.......... where all the leftists here who support policies of Judenfrei say Jewish people should not be allowed to live.

Kind of ironic, ain't it?

.......... where all the leftists here who support policies of Judenfrei say Jewish people should not be allowed to live.

This is a Jewish coin found in the Temple Mount dig found the day before I arrived. It dates to the First Temple period around 950 BC and was found on the Temple Mount.
coin-jpg.82322

This is a Jewish coin found in the Temple Mount dig found the day before I arrived. It dates to the First Temple period around 950 BC and was found on the Temple Mount.
coin-jpg.82322

I am not a Christian per se, although I think Jesus was great, and I am not Jewish because I was not born into a Jewish family, but that doesn't stop me from defending both against the onslaught of the supremacist, totalitarian ideology known as Islam.

There are literally DOZENS of posters here who place themselvses very squarely on the side of Islamism, and for my money, I would rather see Jewish people and Christians pay less attention to their differences and more with their similarities when it comes to Islam and its fifth column here in the west.

A Shepard boy looking for his lost sheep in Qumran walked into a cave and one of the greatest archeological finds in history was made.

1280px-Qumran.jpeg

Not knowing what it really was he took some of the leather scrolls to a shoemaker to see if he could make sandals out of them. Fortunately the shoemaker realized what they were.

1QIsa_b.jpg

Dated to the time of Christ, it is believed Qumran was a small village where Biblical texts were written. These texts were likely removed from the Temple just before the Romans destroyed it and hid in the caves of Qumran for safe keeping. And found 2,000 years later.

Because the Hebrew language has not changed over time any child who can read Hebrew can read the Dead Sea scrolls. The most important thing learned from this discovery is that the Old Testament has not changed one bit in the last 2,000 years.

An interesting find is the Copper Scroll, which is not religious text but a treasure map to where gold and silver were buried. It is assumed this treasure is also from the Temple just before it was destroyed.

800px-Part_of_Qumran_Copper_Scroll_%282%29.jpg
The Dead Sea Scrolls are fascinating. Your 'interpretation' is somewhat....well fanciful.

Weatherboy: Because the Hebrew language has not changed over time any child who can read Hebrew can read the Dead Sea scrolls.

Dead Sea Scrolls - Wikipedia
The text of the Dead Sea Scrolls is written in four different languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Nabataean.

And in 7 scripts.

Weatherboy: The most important thing learned from this discovery is that the Old Testament has not changed one bit in the last 2,000 years.

The biblical manuscripts from Qumran, which include at least fragments from every book of the Old Testament, except perhaps for the Book of Esther, provide a far older cross section of scriptural tradition than that available to scholars before. While some of the Qumran biblical manuscripts are nearly identical to the Masoretic, or traditional, Hebrew text of the Old Testament, some manuscripts of the books of Exodus and Samuel found in Cave Four exhibit dramatic differences in both language and content. In their astonishing range of textual variants, the Qumran biblical discoveries have prompted scholars to reconsider the once-accepted theories of the development of the modern biblical text from only three manuscript families: of the Masoretic text, of the Hebrew original of the Septuagint, and of the Samaritan Pentateuch. It is now becoming increasingly clear that the Old Testament scripture was extremely fluid until its canonization around A.D. 100.[13

But it is always fascinating to read more about the Dead Sea Scrolls.

On a related note- there is a great article in the latest Smithsonian on discovering unknown texts at St. Katherines in the Sinai.

Forum List

Back