70,000 people saw the sun move at Fatima but atheists say there's no proof of God

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I had my searching years, when I was looking for proof of God.

I found out about the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima, which happened in a small village in Portugal, in the year 1917.

Three children has visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and two of them heard her voice.

She predicted a great miracle would happen on her final visit, so a crowd of 70,000 people gathered.

Among the crowd were many devout Catholics, but there were also Freemasons who hated the Catholic Church, and atheists.

Most of these reported seeing something miraculous happen in the sky, the sun moved, and spun like a top, and changed colors.

The miracle was reported in Portugese newspapers, by reporters who were unbelievers.

The purpose of this miracle was so that modern people, in the 20th century, would have proof positive that God exists and intervenes in the affairs of mankind.

I have brought this up on several occasions, and it is amazing how atheist refuse to look at this proof, or explain it away with excuses.

But I'm doing it again -- here is the proof of God you seek.

Don't ask for it again, because here it is.

What you do with it is your business.

FATIMA

Our Lady of F tima - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The Message of Fatima

It's been 48 minutes and not a peep from the atheists.

Well, what can one say in response to such comprehensive ignorance and stupidity – the OP is so overwhelmingly moronic that those free from faith are understandably speechless.
You don't have to have faith to look at the links I provided. People without any faith at all, people who were hostile to the concept that God existed, saw the miracle and reported it in the newspapers. Are you smarter than they are, when you haven't even looked at the evidence?

Well, I would ask how the sun could "move" in Portugal, but the rest of the world didn't see it.

You do realize the Sun is a Star that is MASSIVELY larger than the Earth, right.

2ylwj2t.jpg

The Real Secrets of Fatima - CSI

On the other hand, several eyewitnesses of the October 13, 1917, gathering at Fatima specifically stated they were looking “fixedly at the sun” or “tried to look straight at it” or otherwise made clear they were gazing directly at the actual sun (qtd. in Rogo 1982, 230, 231). If this is so, the “dancing sun” and other solar phenomena may have been due to optical effects resulting from temporary retinal distortion caused by staring at such an intense light or to the effect of darting the eyes to and fro to avoid fixed gazing (thus combining image, afterimage, and movement).

Most likely, there was a combination of factors, including optical effects and meteorological phenomena, such as the sun being seen through thin clouds, causing it to appear as a silver disc. Other possibilities include an alteration in the density of the passing clouds, causing the sun’s image to alternately brighten and dim and so seem to advance and recede, and dust or moisture droplets in the atmosphere refracting the sunlight and thus imparting a variety of colors. The effects of suggestion were also likely involved, since devout spectators had come to the site fully expecting some miraculous event, had their gaze dramatically directed at the sun by the charismatic Lucia, and excitedly discussed and compared their perceptions in a way almost certain to foster psychological contagion (Nickell 1993, 176—181).

I found out about the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima, which happened in a small village in Portugal, in the year 1917.

Three children has visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and two of them heard her voice.

She predicted a great miracle would happen on her final visit, so a crowd of 70,000 people gathered.

Among the crowd were many devout Catholics, but there were also Freemasons who hated the Catholic Church, and atheists.

Most of these reported seeing something miraculous happen in the sky, the sun moved, and spun like a top, and changed colors.

The miracle was reported in Portugese newspapers, by reporters who were unbelievers.

The purpose of this miracle was so that modern people, in the 20th century, would have proof positive that God exists and intervenes in the affairs of mankind.

I have brought this up on several occasions, and it is amazing how atheist refuse to look at this proof, or explain it away with excuses.

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

Autokinesis is not proof of God.

Eyewitnesses are the worst form of evidence. Especially a large group of believers feeding into each others' delusional state.

You don't have to have faith to look at the links I provided. People without any faith at all, people who were hostile to the concept that God existed, saw the miracle and reported it in the newspapers. Are you smarter than they are, when you haven't even looked at the evidence?

True, but you do have to have interest.

You're welcome to your beliefs but you seem more than a little desperate to get the approval of others. All these threads attacking atheists makes me think your our own "faith" must not be very strong.

:doubt:

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

The sun is pretty fucking big

Seems the whole world would have seen it

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

Every week I see these black gospel churches healing the sick. Such bullshit. If there were any truth to it they would visit hospitals and doctors would all agree there is something to it but that isn't the case.

Also, why is it now that we have developed rational inquiry we hear only a deafening silence from a god who once supposedly engaged regularly in human affairs? Why are we the losers in the dice roll of time?

If one accepts the prevailing scientific understanding of the development of the universe, yet also believes in one of the major religions, then presumably a god sat idle for 13.7 billion years – waiting as the stars, galaxies and planets formed. Then it watched with complete and utter indifference as modern Homo Sapians evolved, struggled and died for a further 150,000 years. Finally, a few thousand years ago, this god suddenly decided to reveal itself to several people in the most primitive, illiterate and remote portions of humanity in a completely unverifiable way – and then simply disappeared.

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

Every week I see these black gospel churches healing the sick. Such bullshit. If there were any truth to it they would visit hospitals and doctors would all agree there is something to it but that isn't the case.

Also, why is it now that we have developed rational inquiry we hear only a deafening silence from a god who once supposedly engaged regularly in human affairs? Why are we the losers in the dice roll of time?

If one accepts the prevailing scientific understanding of the development of the universe, yet also believes in one of the major religions, then presumably a god sat idle for 13.7 billion years – waiting as the stars, galaxies and planets formed. Then it watched with complete and utter indifference as modern Homo Sapians evolved, struggled and died for a further 150,000 years. Finally, a few thousand years ago, this god suddenly decided to reveal itself to several people in the most primitive, illiterate and remote portions of humanity in a completely unverifiable way – and then simply disappeared.

Virgin Mary Appears In Tree Stump!!!!

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

FATIMA

The Message of Fatima

A bunch of people claim to have been anally probed by aliens too.
Did 70,000 people in one place at one time make such a claim?
Now you say there were 70000 people there so produce the 70000 individual statements.

And really the worst of all accounts bar none are eye witness accounts.

Would the words of a scientist eye witness matter to you? How about the newspaper report from an atheist communist journalist? Below is a sample. There are hundreds of eye witness testimonies, maybe thousands all documented. IMO, Fatima is thee miracle that convicts the skeptic. God has made Himself known to the world through the vision given to three shepherd children and then to the 70,000 who demanded it be shown to them as well.

http://www.fatima.org/essentials/facts/miracle.asp

An Eyewitness Account by Dr. José Maria de Almeida Garrett, professor at the Faculty of Sciences of Coimbra, Portugal

"It must have been 1:30 p.m when there arose, at the exact spot where the children were, a column of smoke, thin, fine and bluish, which extended up to perhaps two meters above their heads, and evaporated at that height. This phenomenon, perfectly visible to the naked eye, lasted for a few seconds. Not having noted how long it had lasted, I cannot say whether it was more or less than a minute. The smoke dissipated abruptly, and after some time, it came back to occur a second time, then a third time

clip_image002.gif
"The sky, which had been overcast all day, suddenly cleared; the rain stopped and it looked as if the sun were about to fill with light the countryside that the wintery morning had made so gloomy. I was looking at the spot of the apparitions in a serene, if cold, expectation of something happening and with diminishing curiosity because a long time had passed without anything to excite my attention. The sun, a few moments before, had broken through the thick layer of clouds which hid it and now shone clearly and intensely.
clip_image003.jpg
clip_image002.gif
"Suddenly I heard the uproar of thousands of voices, and I saw the whole multitude spread out in that vast space at my feet...turn their backs to that spot where, until then, all their expectations had been focused, and look at the sun on the other side. I turned around, too, toward the point commanding their gaze and I could see the sun, like a very clear disc, with its sharp edge, which gleamed without hurting the sight. It could not be confused with the sun seen through a fog (there was no fog at that moment), for it was neither veiled nor dim. At Fatima, it kept its light and heat, and stood out clearly in the sky, with a sharp edge, like a large gaming table. The most astonishing thing was to be able to stare at the solar disc for a long time, brilliant with light and heat, without hurting the eyes or damaging the retina. [During this time], the sun's disc did not remain immobile, it had a giddy motion, [but] not like the twinkling of a star in all its brilliance for it spun round upon itself in a mad whirl.

clip_image002.gif
"During the solar phenomenon, which I have just described, there were also changes of color in the atmosphere. Looking at the sun, I noticed that everything was becoming darkened. I looked first at the nearest objects and then extended my glance further afield as far as the horizon. I saw everything had assumed an amethyst color. Objects around me, the sky and the atmosphere, were of the same color. Everything both near and far had changed, taking on the color of old yellow damask. People looked as if they were suffering from jaundice and I recall a sensation of amusement at seeing them look so ugly and unattractive. My own hand was the same color.

clip_image002.gif
"Then, suddenly, one heard a clamor, a cry of anguish breaking from all the people. The sun, whirling wildly, seemed all at once to loosen itself from the firmament and, blood red, advance threateningly upon the earth as if to crush us with its huge and fiery weight. The sensation during those moments was truly terrible.

clip_image002.gif
"All the phenomena which I have described were observed by me in a calm and serene state of mind without any emotional disturbance. It is for others to interpret and explain them. Finally, I must declare that never, before or after October 13 [1917], have I observed similar atmospheric or solar phenomena."

========================================

And the testimonies actually number in the hundreds or thousands, many on film. Here again, a sample.

http://amaic2.blogspot.com/2010/01/testimonies-to-fatimas-miracle-of-sun_13.html

Testimonies to Fatima's Miracle of the Sun
Cited below are many witness accounts from that momentous day; elsewhere on this website are photos, newspaper accounts and personal memoirs.

WRITTEN DEPOSITION by Portuguese aristocrat Baron of Alvaiazere, to Church investigators:
“. . . An indescribable impression overtook me. I only know that I cried out: I believe! I believe! And tears ran from my eyes. I was amazed, in ecstasy before the demonstration of Divine power . . . converted in that moment.”

Testimony of a Dr. Formigao, Professor at Santarem seminary
“As if like a bolt from the blue, the clouds were wrenched apart, and the sun at its zenith appeared in all its splendour. It began to revolve vertiginously on its axis, like the most magnificent fire-wheel that could be imagined, taking on all the colours of the rainbow and sending forth multi-coloured flashes of light, producing the most astounding effect. This sublime and incomparable spectacle, which was repeated three distinct times, lasted for about ten minutes.

“The immense multitude, overcome by the evidence of such a tremendous prodigy, threw themselves on their knees. The Creed, the Hail Mary, acts of contrition, burst from all lips, and tears, tears of thanksgiving and repentance sprang from all eyes.”

Report of John Carreira, a boy at the time of the miracle, who eventually became a sacristan at the Fátima shrine, serving for 50 years. On 13 October 1917, onlookers in the crowd pressed him against the three visionary children, so that

“my knees jammed between Lucia's and Francisco's feet,” he later wrote.

“…I saw the sun spinning round and it seemed about to come down on us. It revolved like a bicycle wheel. Afterwards, it returned to its place . . . I wasn't afraid, but I heard people cry out: 'Oh, we are going to die! We are going to die!'”

Lawyer Carlos Mendes declared:
“I saw the sun as if it were a ball of fire, begin to move in the clouds. It had been raining all morning and the sky was full of clouds, but the rain had stopped. It lasted for several seconds, crushingly pressing down on us. Wan faces, standing here, from every side great ejaculations, acts of contrition, of the love of God. An indescribable moment! We feel it. We remain dominated by it. But it is not possible to describe it.”

Antonio de Oliveiro, farmer, said:
“I looked at the sun and saw it spinning like a disc, rolling on itself. I saw people changing colour. They were stained with the colours of the rainbow. The sun seemed to fall down from the sky… The people said that the world was going to end . . . They were afraid and screaming.”

Maria dos Prazeres, widow:
“I saw the sun turn upon itself; it seemed to fall from the sky The people around me were crying that the world was going to end.”

Dominic Reis (in TV interview in the U.S. in l960)
“The sun started to roll from one place to another and changed to blue, yellow -- all colours. Then we see the sun coming towards the children. Everyone was crying out. Some started to confess their sins because there was no priest around there . . . My mother grabbed me to her and started to cry, saying: 'It is the end of the world!' And then we see the sun come right into the trees.”

Maria Candida da Silva
“Suddenly the rain stopped and a great splendour appeared and the children cried: 'Look at the sun!' I saw the sun coming down, feeling that it was falling to the ground. At that moment, I collapsed.”

Rev. Joao Menitra
“I looked and saw that the people were in various colours -- yellow, white, blue. At the same time, I beheld the sun spinning at great speed and very near me. I at once thought: I am going to die.”.

Joaquim Lourenco, a schoolboy, was in the village of Alburitel, a few miles from Fátima.. He later became canon lawyer of the diocese of Leiria.
“… I looked fixedly at the sun, which seemed pale and did not hurt my eyes.
“Looking like a ball of snow, revolving on itself, it suddenly seemed to come down in a zigzag, menacing the earth.
“Terrified, I ran and hid myself among the people, who were weeping and expecting the end of the world at any moment. It was a crowd which had gathered outside our local village school, and we had all left classes and run into the streets because of the cries and surprised shouts of men and women who were in the street in front of the school when the miracle began.
“There was an unbeliever there who had spent the morning mocking the 'simpletons' who had gone off to Fátima just to see an ordinary girl. He now seemed paralyzed, his eyes fixed on the sun. He began to tremble from head to foot, and lifting up his arms, fell on his knees in the mud, crying out to God.
“But meanwhile the people continued to cry out and to weep, asking God to pardon their sins. We all ran to the two chapels in the village, which were soon filled to overflowing. During those long moments of the solar prodigy, objects around us turned all colours of the rainbow.

Abano Barros (a building contractor, who later became a U.S. citizen) witnessed the apparition from the village of Minde, eight miles away…
“I was watching sheep, as was my daily task, and suddenly, there in the direction of Fátima, I saw the sun fall from the sky. I thought it was the end of the world.”

Poet Alfonso Lopes Viera saw the miracle from a distance of 30 miles at the ocean-side town of San Pedro der Muel.

The miracle was also seen in Pombal, 32 miles north of Fátima.

The total land-area of visibility, based on witness interviews, was approximately 32 by 20 miles.

No records of the solar phenomena were recorded by any of the world's observatories

Summation by a Scientist...

Fr. Pio Sciatizzi, professor of algebra and trigonometry at the Gregorian University, Rome, author of Fátima in the Light of Faith and Science in the 1940s wrote this:

“Of the historic reality of this event there can be no doubt whatsoever. That it was outside and against known laws can be proved by certain simple scientific considerations… Given the indubitable reference to God and the general context of the event, it seems that we must attribute to Him alone the most obvious and colossal miracle of history.”

NOTE: The above reports and others were published in 1961 in Meet the Witnesses, by John Haffert, International Lay Delegate of the Blue Army of Our Lady of Fátima. (A.M.I. Press, Washington, N.J., U.S.A.).

Forum List

Back