7 Reasons Why You Should Home School Your Kids

Parents that home school their children believe it allows them to control their children. But the truth of the matter is those home schooling parents are demonstrating that they have NO control over their children. They are openly admitting they can't prevent their children from being influenced by teachers or other students. To me, it demonstrates a lack of parenting skills. And honestly, it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society. What, are those parents going to control which job their kids get, which church they go to, and what friends they have when they are no longer minors?

Look, you can't send you kids to public school and then go on auto-pilot. You have to be involved. You have to be aware of what they are being taught, aware of what their assignments are, and aware of the influence of both the other students and the teachers. If you can't overpower that influence, then yeah, you probably ought to home school your children. But don't act like that makes you some kind of hero. It makes you a coward.

Why are some of y’all so obviously terrified of homeschooling?

Loss of power and control. They like to gabble on - like Winston - about how homeschoolers are scared of losing control, but all of their vitriol is based on the fact that when people have freedom of choice in their own lives, LEFTISTS lose control. And if they can't impose their ideas and beliefs on people, no one will choose them voluntarily.

Your insistence on framing this as a right and left issue only confirms your ignorance. Do you really think all school districts deliver a leftist leaning curriculum? Perhaps you should consider moving here, North Carolina's 10th Congressional district, one of the reddest of all the red districts in the country. So red that the gerrymandering Republicans tossed all of Asheville, called the San Francisco of the east, into the district without losing any of their advantage even while moving Republican leaning portions into Asheville's former district to give them a Republican advantage in that district. Disgusting.

That school I bragged about, Howard Stern proclaimed it the most redneck high school in the country, mostly because he heard about the students running a deer carcass up the flagpole of the rival "city" school. They have "tractor days", where the kids drive their families tractor to school. Dozens of them line the front lawn, along with a handful of riding lawnmowers, several times a year. It is where the local Boy Scout troop goes coon hunting every year in order to make coonskin hats. A liberal around here is about as rare as hen's teeth, and a liberal teacher with more than ten years experience is non-existent because they rarely last more than a year or two.

Nope, the reason most educated people are not Republican is not because they have been indoctrinated by a "liberal" education system. It is because many of the Republican position are just completely ignorant and only an uneducated nitwit would support them. Tax cuts that generate revenue? Yeah, when the marginal tax rate is north of 65% or so, maybe, but any economist worth two shits will tell you it is not going to happen with today's historical low rates. Same for the corporate tax cut, it has not, and will not, lead to economic growth. The few token bonuses and raises handed out pale in comparison to the billions of dollars of stock buybacks. Immigration, again, not a single economist worth two shits believe that immigration, both legal and illegal, is a drain on the economy. Global warming--I mean come on, it is not up for debate within the scientific community. Evolution, again, not really up for debate although the theory continues to evolve as we make new discoveries in genetics and anthropology. Israel is an apartheid country that continually violates international law, maintains nuclear weapons without signing the NPT, and those Jewish settlers in those illegal settlements are among the most racist people on Earth.

Parents that home school their children believe it allows them to control their children. But the truth of the matter is those home schooling parents are demonstrating that they have NO control over their children. They are openly admitting they can't prevent their children from being influenced by teachers or other students. To me, it demonstrates a lack of parenting skills. And honestly, it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society. What, are those parents going to control which job their kids get, which church they go to, and what friends they have when they are no longer minors?

Look, you can't send you kids to public school and then go on auto-pilot. You have to be involved. You have to be aware of what they are being taught, aware of what their assignments are, and aware of the influence of both the other students and the teachers. If you can't overpower that influence, then yeah, you probably ought to home school your children. But don't act like that makes you some kind of hero. It makes you a coward.

Why are some of y’all so obviously terrified of homeschooling?

Loss of power and control. They like to gabble on - like Winston - about how homeschoolers are scared of losing control, but all of their vitriol is based on the fact that when people have freedom of choice in their own lives, LEFTISTS lose control. And if they can't impose their ideas and beliefs on people, no one will choose them voluntarily.

Your insistence on framing this as a right and left issue only confirms your ignorance. Do you really think all school districts deliver a leftist leaning curriculum? Perhaps you should consider moving here, North Carolina's 10th Congressional district, one of the reddest of all the red districts in the country. So red that the gerrymandering Republicans tossed all of Asheville, called the San Francisco of the east, into the district without losing any of their advantage even while moving Republican leaning portions into Asheville's former district to give them a Republican advantage in that district. Disgusting.

That school I bragged about, Howard Stern proclaimed it the most redneck high school in the country, mostly because he heard about the students running a deer carcass up the flagpole of the rival "city" school. They have "tractor days", where the kids drive their families tractor to school. Dozens of them line the front lawn, along with a handful of riding lawnmowers, several times a year. It is where the local Boy Scout troop goes coon hunting every year in order to make coonskin hats. A liberal around here is about as rare as hen's teeth, and a liberal teacher with more than ten years experience is non-existent because they rarely last more than a year or two.

Nope, the reason most educated people are not Republican is not because they have been indoctrinated by a "liberal" education system. It is because many of the Republican position are just completely ignorant and only an uneducated nitwit would support them. Tax cuts that generate revenue? Yeah, when the marginal tax rate is north of 65% or so, maybe, but any economist worth two shits will tell you it is not going to happen with today's historical low rates. Same for the corporate tax cut, it has not, and will not, lead to economic growth. The few token bonuses and raises handed out pale in comparison to the billions of dollars of stock buybacks. Immigration, again, not a single economist worth two shits believe that immigration, both legal and illegal, is a drain on the economy. Global warming--I mean come on, it is not up for debate within the scientific community. Evolution, again, not really up for debate although the theory continues to evolve as we make new discoveries in genetics and anthropology. Israel is an apartheid country that continually violates international law, maintains nuclear weapons without signing the NPT, and those Jewish settlers in those illegal settlements are among the most racist people on Earth.

Ah, yes, the obligatory anti-Isreal rant.

8. Homeschooling reduces the risk that your child will be brain-washed into being a Participation Trophy Craving SFJ Whinging Bully.

What's "whinging"?
Homeschooling term.

That just goes to show how socially isolated they must be. I am 57 years young and never have seen the word spoken or written.

It's quite commonly used in England.

The Dursley family in the Harry Potter books actually lives in Little Whinging.

8. Homeschooling reduces the risk that your child will be brain-washed into being a Participation Trophy Craving SFJ Whinging Bully.

What's "whinging"?
Homeschooling term.

That just goes to show how socially isolated they must be. I am 57 years young and never have seen the word spoken or written.

It's quite commonly used in England.

The Dursley family in the Harry Potter books actually lives in Little Whinging.

Can't remember the last British author I read who DIDN'T use it at least once.

Why the hell do they have to use verbiage like that? Why not make it simple so people like me can understand it?

Makes the family closer

Parents can decide who the kids play and get together with

You can mesh your values, beliefs, and education

No more hangups about school and home

You can set up the program you and you kid agree on

The family can decide what and when to do things

Kinda repeats an earlier one

Another repeat of an earlier one

You kid can go after what they like and can do best.

Now, ain’t that better?

This is why the left hates it. It limits their power and influence over other people's children.
I certainly don't hate it. We home-schooled our youngest daughter for a few years (grades 2 through 5). She had a medical issue at the time and the school had a hard time dealing with it. We used an online school, Connections Academy, and it worked out well for her. By the time she went back to her regular school she was way ahead of her peers. She got plenty of socialization with neighborhood kids, church youth groups, dance classes, and band, so she was never socially awkward. She is now a university student studying Pre-Med.

I think many of the public schools are actually stunting the academic growth of our children, gearing classes towards the lowest common denominator. Many of the brighter kids just sit there bored, while the teacher explains things over and over to kids who either don't understand or don't care.

It isn't a panacea, but it was quite helpful for my daughter's situation.

Parents Look to Home Schooling As Leftists Take Over Public Schools

Part of it is the school shootings. But more of it comes from a kickback against Leftist agendas. Parents no longer tolerate their children being propagandized and want them to learn what matters.

The homeschooling movement has ballooned from 1.5 million to estimates of more than 2 million now. Since most states aren’t required to count the number of homeschooling families, it’s still a guessing game. But there’s one thing everyone agrees on: more parents are making the leap — and fast.

More @ Parents Look to Home Schooling As Leftists Take Over Public Schools

Part of it is the school shootings. But more of it comes from a kickback against Leftist agendas. Parents no longer tolerate their children being propagandized and want them to learn what matters.

The homeschooling movement has ballooned from 1.5 million to estimates of more than 2 million now. Since most states aren’t required to count the number of homeschooling families, it’s still a guessing game. But there’s one thing everyone agrees on: more parents are making the leap — and fast.

Expect to see another snowflake explosion in the next few years as these kids venture out into the real world for the first time. I am not saying every one will be, just that there will be some who need to untie Momma's apron strings.

Expect to see another snowflake explosion in the next few years as these kids venture out into the real world for the first time. I am not saying every one will be, just that there will be some who need to untie Momma's apron strings.

That happens now with kids who go to government schools. It's not a substantive complaint. Good parents will make sure their kids are ready for life, no matter where they go to school. In fact, given the way colleges are acting, it can be argued that we're trying to extend childhood for today's government schooled children. They demand safe places and tend to live in their parents' houses well past the time they should be on their own. Obamadon'tcare lets them stay on their parents' health insurance well into adulthood, etc. Home schooling is not going to make that appreciably worse.

That happens now with kids who go to government schools. It's not a substantive complaint. Good parents will make sure their kids are ready for life, no matter where they go to school. In fact, given the way colleges are acting, it can be argued that we're trying to extend childhood for today's government schooled children. They demand safe places and tend to live in their parents' houses well past the time they should be on their own. Obamadon'tcare lets them stay on their parents' health insurance well into adulthood, etc. Home schooling is not going to make that appreciably worse.

It also happens with homeschooled kids. THAT was my point. You people need to get out more and see the disasters of home schooling. There are wonderful successes, but we will suffer from those disasters that we allowed to happen.

I was recently taking with an Army recruit who told me that he was homeschooled and how much it embarrassed him to say so. He freely admitted to me, "I need an education, because I don't know anything!" He claimed his parents did nothing to educate him other than provide him the books to read. He had no practical knowledge and he feared not qualifying for the military academically. He did this with no idea of my background as a public school teacher.

Homeschooling is a cute concept
Some parents are good at it, others suck big time

It will never be a large enough sector of education to make a difference

It is curious that double-entry accounting is not about the real world. A year ago a business woman told me that the housing bubble of 2008 would not have happened if accounting had been mandatory since the 60s. But an economist said it would not matter.

Accounting: collegians vs 5th graders

Fifth-Graders Learn Accounting as Well as Collegians

Educators with degrees could have been suggesting books to kids even if the books were not used in class or tested for.

It is like the Conservatives and the Liberals are about maintaining controlled ignorance, they just want different forms of ignorance.

Last edited:

Just the opposite. Not being subject to the progressive propaganda in the school systems, they will have learned self-reliance and personal responsibility.

Just the opposite. Not being subject to the progressive propaganda in the school systems, they will have learned self-reliance and personal responsibility.

Unless your kid goes to school in a blue state, there is no progressive propaganda. Numerous teachers on this forum, conservative and liberal have attested to that.

Missouri is starting up virtual public schools again, to try and curb the teacher-pupil sexual affairs...They be jealous.

Missouri is starting up virtual public schools again, to try and curb the teacher-pupil sexual affairs...They be jealous.

Florida has had a virtual school set up since my son was in high school and he is now 30. They suck at instruction!

It is curious that double-entry accounting is not about the real world. A year ago a business woman told me that the housing bubble of 2008 would not have happened if accounting had been mandatory since the 60s. But an economist said it would not matter.

Accounting: collegians vs 5th graders

Fifth-Graders Learn Accounting as Well as Collegians

Educators with degrees could have been suggesting books to kids even if the books were not used in class or tested for.

It is like the Conservatives and the Liberals are about maintaining controlled ignorance, they just want different forms of ignorance.

Why the obsession with ancient accounting? Is there anything else you care about, like buggy whips, typewriters, cathode ray TVs?

Florida has had a virtual school set up since my son was in high school and he is now 30. They suck at instruction!
They dropped it after the recession of aught eight and are just now getting around to it. My youngest kid(16) is too advanced to do it.. He will be doing college and high school next year.

Forum List

Back