66% of Child Torture Victims "Homeschooled"

And how many children is that exactly?

Percentages are meaningless without the total number on which they are based

The vast majority of parents who homeschool do not torture their kids

The vast majority don't educate their kids either.

How do you know?[/QUOTE

There is no proof or indication that the majority of home schooled children receive an adequate education. ....

You made a claim. It’s on you to prove that they don’t. Hurry up about it.

How do you know?[/QUOTE

There is no proof or indication that the majority of home schooled children receive an adequate education. ....

You made a claim. It’s on you to prove that they don’t. Hurry up about it.

You are right. My poorly worded claim was inaccurate. An accurate claim is that there is no indication that home schooled children as a whole receive an adequate education. There is no reason to believe that the few who score well on college entrance exams are representative of the group, because there is no way to know how large the group is. Monitoring and record keeping for home schooled children's quality of education is non existent to sparse in a large number of cases.

I never argue for something I am not convinced is true, and my intention is to not argue for anything I can't support. I was wrong this time, and appreciate you pointing out my mistake.

How do you know?[/QUOTE

There is no proof or indication that the majority of home schooled children receive an adequate education. Home schoolers point at college entrance exam scores, but there is no indication what percentage of home schooled children even take those entrance exam tests, much less what percentage take any kind of standardized tests. Many states require no monitoring or testing of home schooling of any kind. Please show me where anything I just wrote is wrong. Nothing would please me more than to be wrong in what I just wrote.

You do realize that saying there is no data does not prove anything don't you?

It proves that claims by home school advocates that home schooling is adequate in most instances is unsupportable.

Most states have GED type high school equivalency tests, and most colleges require SAT or ACT exams for entry, so it's just stupid to claim there is no way to tell if homeschooling is 'adequate' or not, and even if they have high failure rates so do a most public schools, so nothing to see here. Most public schools just socially promote any old dumbass thug through their 'systems' anyway, and like those school teachers and admins in some of the Atlanta schools who got caught altering test answers and scores, they just go through tests and change answers and scores to suit their quotas and keep their 'performance incentives' intact.

And of course they are. If you had designs to torture, starve, beat and neglect your children, why in the world would you daily send them to a place of mandatory reporters?

You wouldn't. You would either withdraw or never enroll them. Which is exactly what the study below found.

This is a serious and growing problem in the homeschooling community which, true to form, homeschoolers are not addressing except to fight oversight. This WILL have a negative effect not only on the perception of homeschooling but also on their success rate over time.

Particularly severe abuse cases that involve school-age children also tend to involve homeschooling. In a 2014 study of child torture, Barbara Knox, a pediatrician at the University of Wisconsin, found that 47% of school-age victims had been withdrawn from school for homeschooling and an additional 29% had never been enrolled.

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern

Yeah, the bigger problem is when they withdraw them from school.

Regardless at some point, I don't think we have the right to dictate what parents do with their children. Meaning, I don't think we can just storm their homes without cause, and start denying people's rights.

And of course they are. If you had designs to torture, starve, beat and neglect your children, why in the world would you daily send them to a place of mandatory reporters?

You wouldn't. You would either withdraw or never enroll them. Which is exactly what the study below found.

This is a serious and growing problem in the homeschooling community which, true to form, homeschoolers are not addressing except to fight oversight. This WILL have a negative effect not only on the perception of homeschooling but also on their success rate over time.

Particularly severe abuse cases that involve school-age children also tend to involve homeschooling. In a 2014 study of child torture, Barbara Knox, a pediatrician at the University of Wisconsin, found that 47% of school-age victims had been withdrawn from school for homeschooling and an additional 29% had never been enrolled.

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern
Paywall, but an opinion piece in the Left Angeles Times is all we need to know.

Number of children murdered, raped, dragged into gangs, buying drugs, having sex with teachers in public schools is a common occurrence now.

I put the important words on red text, dumbass!

Yeah, the bigger problem is when they withdraw them from school.

Regardless at some point, I don't think we have the right to dictate what parents do with their children. Meaning, I don't think we can just storm their homes without cause, and start denying people's rights.

I didn't say we did. In fact I quite emphatically said on this thread that The State does not own the children.

I'm simply pointing out that the dunderheads on this forum who say All Homeschool Good and All Public School Bad are, well, fools indeed. Because homeschool has a growing problem with abusers withdrawing their children from school to avoid detection.

And homeschool advocates, true to form, just lob grenades at public schools to counter the issue. It's a big old shrug from me--this is what they do.

Here's a great article from Fox News. Most pertinent to the conversation here and something most public school teachers have seen: many parents who have PREVIOUSLY been investigated by Child Protective Services withdraw their children from public schools to "homeschool".

Of course the typical response to this by the homeschool community is just to push against any kind of regulation whatsoever. Oh well. Not my fight at all.

After the 2017 death of an autistic teenager, Matthew Tirado, who suffered starvation, dehydration and injuries -- weighing 84 pounds when he died at the age of 17 -- the Connecticut Office of the Child Advocate analyzed data of families that had records of child abuse and cross-checked them with homeschool data. The agency found that more than one-third of the children who were taken out of schools purportedly to be homeschooled were from homes that had been investigated by child protection officials.

'House of Horrors' child abuse cases reveal how offenders nationwide use homeschooling to hide their crimes

How do you know?[/QUOTE

There is no proof or indication that the majority of home schooled children receive an adequate education. Home schoolers point at college entrance exam scores, but there is no indication what percentage of home schooled children even take those entrance exam tests, much less what percentage take any kind of standardized tests. Many states require no monitoring or testing of home schooling of any kind. Please show me where anything I just wrote is wrong. Nothing would please me more than to be wrong in what I just wrote.

You do realize that saying there is no data does not prove anything don't you?

It proves that claims by home school advocates that home schooling is adequate in most instances is unsupportable.

No it doesn't

Saying there is no indication one way or the other is saying nothing at all

Forum List

Back